Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coolaney National MTB Centre

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Apparently the lads from North West MTB club are using it, I recall seeing a member replying to a post on FB saying it was open to their members :confused:

It's not open to their members.
    Officially it isn't open. People have been in on the trails though.
    It's not finished we're told, but no work has been done up there in a good number of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I took a spin on one of the blue trails with the young lad a couple of weeks ago, looks very impressive so far

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭covey123

Excellent news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any reports or reviews on the trails? Similar style to other Coillte sites I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Great to see some progress but can't help but think there might have been a better time to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭covey123

Obviously works have taken on major delays at the moment,and could be a while until ok to visit,but has anyone heard what stage Coolaney is at?much time left for completion?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

covey123 wrote: »
    Obviously works have taken on major delays at the moment,and could be a while until ok to visit,but has anyone heard what stage Coolaney is at?much time left for completion?

There's about a 16k loop fully finished, and there are 3 or 4 short loops near the carpark, trails are really well built and designed especially the red graded trails near the carpark which are proper good fun. They were making some changes to the access roads when I was there pre-lockdown in March but I don't think any further work will be done for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 justconrad

Hi lads, looking to visit here early September. Just wondering if there are any reports about progress? Is there enough open to spend a full day here? Looking at staying in Sligo for 2 nights & travelling out to it each day. Any advice/info would be really appreciated! Thanks

justconrad wrote: »
    Hi lads, looking to visit here early September. Just wondering if there are any reports about progress? Is there enough open to spend a full day here? Looking at staying in Sligo for 2 nights & travelling out to it each day. Any advice/info would be really appreciated! Thanks

Seems to a good bit open, check out singletracker on YouTube, he has a few recent vidoes up on it. I've seen people on fb mention its worth tying in with a trip to union woods when in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Coolaney is a bit short but great fun, the outer red at the top is really enjoyable and then the trails from the hub just above the car park offer plenty of thrills.
    To spend day/half day there you will end up going over the same trails multiple times but they are laid out so well and the view at the top are magnificent that you could go all day.

All is lacking is a Coffee van :-), loved it.

TomC

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

I’m just back from there. I done 2 full laps from car park to the top and all the way back down again (red 1 first, then red 2), and then one inner blue loop, with minimal stopping, and strava tells me I was moving for 1.5 hours. I’m fairly knackered now. Certainly worth a visit if you’re in the area. The view from the top of the red is ace if you get a clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 justconrad

Thanks a million for the reply folks, sounds like we'll have great craic there for the day! One of the lads joining us is new to it so next on the list is finding a bike rental place! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

justconrad wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the reply folks, sounds like we'll have great craic there for the day! One of the lads joining us is new to it so next on the list is finding a bike rental place! Thanks again.

Think you will be lucky to find a rental, we were in the area last week and didnt find anything on line. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone, mobile rental operation for Coolaney

Just for anyone out nw direction, came across this crowd on Instagram, handy if you want to keep up to date with new trail developments in Coolaney.
    https://instagram.com/atlantic_singletrack?igshid=1s0u6qk8torxl

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JosephMPlunkt

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately it's sh1111te. There's one half decent run from the top trail head down to the car park - probably a strong red at best. Apart from that the rest is boring and slow as fook. They don't let you carry any speed at all to be honest but the scenery is nice I suppose. It's defo not for advanced mtbikers as it stands but maybe there's more to be built.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately it's sh1111te. There's one half decent run from the top trail head down to the car park - probably a strong red at best. Apart from that the rest is boring and slow as fook. They don't let you carry any speed at all to be honest but the scenery is nice I suppose. It's defo not for advanced mtbikers as it stands but maybe there's more to be built.

Sounds like you did the Laois side (Red) The kinnity side is better a lot more flow on it (blue/red) No mad obvious drops etc but you can make some fun lines on it.

https://youtu.be/HhxB61BhHvs

Mixed surfaces by the looks of it. New section looks good though.

Nah man I was talking about Coolaney. Sorry for confusion

I was on it. It's a red at best and not too bad but it's the only one up there worth doing.....rest are for kids.....as in infants :-)

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »

Mixed surfaces by the looks of it. New section looks good though.

I did see diggers and jeeps up the other side doing some work.....might be a next phase maybe but can't be certain.

Nah man I was talking about Coolaney. Sorry for confusion

My bad I had only replied to another thread on slieveblooms :o

Advertisement