Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ticknock: How to find blue/easier trails

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Casual walkers either, or those who hold there line, walk 3 or 4 abreast when they see you approach, a bit of mountain etiquette is missing from the likes of those..

Its funny, i often hear my dad (who is into his walking but usually on his own) giving out about these big groups. Reckons they should be renamed talking clubs not walking clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Any one been up lately?
    Are the maps all out of date now? Metro bottom continues down to the Biking.ie hut, whereas it used to finish at the top gate.
    Is there a climb off road to get back to the gate by the trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

cjt156 wrote: »

Unfortunately not. Would be nice if they added one back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Was up over the Christmas. Jammers on Saturday - they're going to need more parking soon.

Yup - you have to cycle up via the tarmac now, it's not so bad but miss the old track up as it was a good warm up and decent bits of technical climbing. The only change to the map is the extension of Metro to the biking.ie hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The period over Christmas was really busy up there alright. Some amount of selfish parking though, particularly those wanting to park as close to the bike hut as possible.

They leave it stupidly narrow to allow a car to pass, but any fire vehicle trying to get up there won't even be able to get to the hut itself. They need to start putting up signage or just stickering ignorant parking.

And there's a high increase of the dumb ass phenomenon of people carrying their dog **** back to the gate and then throwing it on the hill alongside. Absolute fuckwits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

cjt156 wrote: »
    Any one been up lately?
    Are the maps all out of date now? Metro bottom continues down to the Biking.ie hut, whereas it used to finish at the top gate.

Ive used the "walkers" path if it is even such a thing...
    Snails pace pulled in to a stop (awaiting an earful) for a few nosey oulwans to have a go at me :D needless to say my politeness in my understanding of the situation left them no option but to walk on.
    Might be better to do it at night time when no walkers are around but I live on the edge..:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hurrache wrote:
    They leave it stupidly narrow to allow a car to pass, but any fire vehicle trying to get up there won't even be able to get to the hut itself. They need to start putting up signage or just stickering ignorant parking.

Oh I'd say emergency personal would make sure they'd get their vehicles to a fire, owners of badly parked cars probably wouldn't be too happy about the outcome though.

I don't think Dublin Fire Brigade would force a vehicle through, they haven't done yet, don't think they'll start. You'll often see photos on their social media with such obstructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

If it came to it, and they were called for a forest fire or serious injury, I'd love to see them leave any car in their way in the ditch.

Parking up there some days is absolutely horrendous by 12pm when I'm finishing up. Really need to be ticketed by the council.

Parking up there some days is absolutely horrendous by 12pm when I'm finishing up. Really need to be ticketed by the council.

Unfortunately that may eventually happen

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that may eventually happen

I hope not. They don't do it at any of the other Coillte forest sites around the place (Cruagh, Kilmashogue etc) but they are not as busy as Ticknock. Ticknock's beauty and (now) potential problem is that it's so close for so many people.

I suppose it's better than having your car alone in the upper car park, and worried it'll get broken into. Safety in numbers.

It's a pain in the arse how busy it is, but it's the emergency services piece that worries me. Have seen a fair few mountain rescue jeeps, ambulances etc up there helping people over the years (including myself) and could be a serious issue if they couldn't get up to reach someone. I don't think people should have to pay to walk in the hills so I hope they find a solution other than ticketing. Maybe though, it's largely seasonal and will calm down post January.

Some signage around the place and more clearly marked parking spaces would definitely help as it is a bit of a free for all.

steamsey wrote:
    I hope not. They don't do it at any of the other Coillte forest sites around the place (Cruagh, Kilmashogue etc) but they are not as busy as Ticknock. Ticknock's beauty and (now) potential problem is that it's so close for so many people.

Parking fee seems to work well in ballyhoura, so don't be surprised if it eventually appears in ticknock, the ongoing parking issues may cause this.

steamsey wrote: »
    I don't think people should have to pay to walk in the hills so I hope they find a solution other than ticketing. Maybe though, it's largely seasonal and will calm down post January.

By ticketing I assumed ticketing refers to badly parked cars, rather than paying to park? A couple of weekends of even just stickering cars highlighting bad and inconsiderate parking might be enough.

Hurrache wrote: »
    By ticketing I assumed ticketing refers to badly parked cars, rather than paying to park? A couple of weekends of even just stickering cars highlighting bad and inconsiderate parking might be enough.

Ah ok - I took it to mean paid parking, which I hope doesn't happen and don't think it will.

I think signage is the answer - the types of people who use the hills are usually pretty respectful and simple signage could do the job, especially if signs refer to emergency vehicle access required

I think part of the reason why Ticknock is so busy is an unfortunate reflection of the rampant theft we have from cars at other locations.

Mid week I prefer to park there, at the gates at Ballinastoe or GAP as they're busier and less isolated than everywhere else. Other locations around the Dublin and Wicklow mountains are pretty dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd gladly park further down at Lambs or Taylors, however both pub landlords don't want MTB'ers parking there, and I wouldn't feel safe leaving my car at those places early morning before they open either..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd gladly park further down at Lambs or Taylors, however both pub landlords don't want MTB'ers parking there, and I wouldn't feel safe leaving my car at those places early morning before they open either..

Have those pubs said why they don't want mountain bikers parking there? I'd have thought they'd be thrilled - or indifferent at any rate - as there's a fair chance that folk will stop and have some food or drink afterwards, especially in the summer months.

one doesn't want bikers taking up the spaces where staff park, the other from what I recall doesn't want bikers...

Would be good if the pub with the huge carpark had decent coffee, cakes or sandwiches, no biker wants to go in for beers when driving or a carvery

one doesn't want bikers taking up the spaces where staff park, the other from what I recall doesn't want bikers...

Would be good if the pub with the huge carpark had decent coffee, cakes or sandwiches, no biker wants to go in for beers when driving or a carvery

Lamb Doyle's has never had a problem with me leaving the car there.. I've parked there plenty, and sometimes have a pint afterwards..

I also love their Guinness (best after Bluer) so I'd stop in after a spin at Ticknock and have one or two outside with the bike when car isn't with me. At one point last summer the bar man was dropping pints out to us - he was asking all about biking. Spoke to the owner one night outside too in full bike gear a year or two ago, and the bike was beside me. She didn't seem anti MTB at all and neither do the one or two locals that still go there. Sometimes, you'll catch the barman playing darts on his own. Not a sinner in the place a lot of the time.

I'd say if anything it's clubs parking there, and then maybe not spending any money or just taking up a lot of space.

Can't imagine the bluer saying anything to you. As long as it's not 20 cars from a club, and you buy something occasionally.

Bluer is pro MTB for sure. Plenty of guys leave their bikes on the courtyard thing at front and have a pint, covered in mud. Owners and staff are sound. Savage pints.

I'm sure the odd car here and there is fine at LD's.

I don't like to drive with any alcohol onboard.

Bluer is fine I am sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Lambs is never stuck for space. The Bluer is pretty welcoming to bikers but have limited space. Taylors have a lot of coach tours so probably wouldn't be happy with car park space being taken up in the evenings.

Lamb Doyle's, with their massive empty car park, could definitely cash in on the mountain biking scene a bit more. They've zero interest in improving the place though - it was for sale for years so they were not pushed to do much with it. I've no idea if they are still trying to sell it - bar staff don't seem to know much about that. Complex planning history up there. Not sure if a pub is a goer on that site - used to be a popular place, people would go up for the carvery. Possibly a restaurant could do well - views over Dublin etc. But I love the idea of making it a walkers / MTBers - general mountain users' hub - food, advice, safe parking - all that. Next phase would to stick a cable car in from the car park to top of Ticknock!

They did used to have a hose at the back of Lamb Doyle's going back a few years and bikers would use it to clean bikes - it disappeared one day - and I wonder if this was a direct snub to bikers or what happened. This was around the time clubs would all meet in the car park and practically fill it - come back, pack up and leave without spending a penny generally.

I wouldn't park at Taylor's and cycle up purely because I really don't like cycling up Kellystown Road - love coming down it though. Doubt Taylor's would notice a few cars or even care but as said - they rely heavily on coaches and wouldn't want coach parking impacted.

I'd say if anything it's clubs parking there, and then maybe not spending any money or just taking up a lot of space.
    Can't imagine the bluer saying anything to you. As long as it's not 20 cars from a club, and you buy something occasionally.
    This was around the time clubs would all meet in the car park and practically fill it - come back, pack up and leave without spending a penny generally.

Pretty hard on the clubs !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Doubt Taylor's would notice a few cars or even care but as said - they rely heavily on coaches and wouldn't want coach parking impacted.

They don't mind you parking there during the winter, but in summer, when it's busier, they need all the spaces for customers. Was told this first hand by the manager (possibly owner).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

They don't mind you parking there during the winter, but in summer, when it's busier, they need all the spaces for customers. Was told this first hand by the manager (possibly owner).

If you were happy enough to suck up the climb from Taylors adding the extra 2-3 minutes by parking in the back car park at Marlay seems like a decent alternative. No idea what it's like for theft, but the carpark at Kilmashogue woods is another alternative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pretty hard on the clubs !

If its a private car park it is up to who ever owns it to say who can use it. Most will have a sign saying the car park is for customers only, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

off topic I know, but it was suggested to post this here...

My wife is a dog walker, and one of her energetic dogs has ran off while up for a walk in ticknock. Springer Spaniel.

Clutching at straws I know but any help greatly appreciated.

<EDIT> Dog found, thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't think Dublin Fire Brigade would force a vehicle through, they haven't done yet, don't think they'll start. You'll often see photos on their social media with such obstructions.

I know its dragging up an old post but I see they posted this today.
    https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1119960237178540032?s=19

That 3rd photo, that's just lazy and selfish bastards. Even on a busy day there's parking at the back of the loop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

That 3rd photo, that's just lazy and selfish bastards. Even on a busy day there's parking at the back of the loop

Yep, loads of spaces on the other side yesterday. Watched them try to get the truck up the hill. They will force their way through if they have to, that would make people reconsider ditching the car anywhere they like. People were parked on both sides of the road the last time we had snow as the car park was inaccessible blocking in all the local residents.

Advertisement