Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

MeganC1554 wrote: »
    Congratulations everybody who passed. Unfortunately, i only passed 2. Bit disappointed to be honest. I was sure I did great in Contract but failed... ... it was my first sitting and needed 3 to pass. Has this ever happened to anybody? I'm so disappointed with myself... back I go to repeat in March... ... the thoughts of the red cow is making me ill... ...

Has anybody any advice? Thanks to al for all your help through the exams...
    I sat four in my first sitting (when you had to sit four) failed 2 passed 2, second time I attempted 5 as I thought I had notes etc for four already. I passed the five, so don't be too hard on yourself. I def think I went wrong on exam technique I don't think I spent enough time on the past papers. have a break from study and get back to it. It will all be revision this time
    Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Monkey09 wrote: »
    does anyone know what password we use to access results? I can't access my emails to check as eircom is still down.. Typical! ��

If it's your first time sitting them you use 'password' as a temporary password and then change it once you're in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Last one passed, see you Red Cow #mikedrop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Last one passed, see you Red Cow #mikedrop

Until you get to Blackhall and sit the next set.....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Passed my last two. Still can't believe it's all over! Thanks to everyone for their help and advice on here. Best of luck to everyone. I'm proof they can be done! Blackhall here I come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

I passed my first 4 (scraped it - got 50 in contract and property but a pass is a pass!). Thanks a million for all your help without which i definitely would have failed!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

Out of curiosity has anyone rechecked a paper that they got a result of 32% & passed??

Out of curiosity has anyone rechecked a paper that they got a result of 32% & passed??

I have heard of outlier cases where marks lower than this have passed on review, but most prolly wouldn't.

Did you feel like you should have passed?

If I was very surprised and was sure I has passed, then I would get a recheck

Hunchback wrote: »
    I have heard of outlier cases where marks lower than this have passed on review, but most prolly wouldn't.

Did you feel like you should have passed?

If I was very surprised and was sure I has passed, then I would get a recheck

I was surprised with that mark alright l taught l sat a really good paper but self doubt is creeping in now & lm not sure if l should recheck or if lm wasting my time!!!

I was surprised with that mark alright l taught l sat a really good paper but self doubt is creeping in now & lm not sure if l should recheck or if lm wasting my time!!!

I still regret not getting a particular exam rechecked - it was nearly twenty years ago (my leaving).

If you really believe that there is a chance you might pass......do it. What is it? 105 quid or something? It's not the end of the world.

Anticipate that the mark doesn't change (in which case you at least have closure), or, in the unlikely alternative, it does change and you get the pass mark.

As I said, if you REALLY have a strong sense that you did better, do it. If you are wrong, you are down around a hundred quid, but at least you can put it to bed and move forward

• Advertisement

Hunchback wrote: »
    I still regret not getting a particular exam rechecked - it was nearly twenty years ago (my leaving).

If you really believe that there is a chance you might pass......do it. What is it? 105 quid or something? It's not the end of the world.

Anticipate that the mark doesn't change (in which case you at least have closure), or, in the unlikely alternative, it does change and you get the pass mark.

As I said, if you REALLY have a strong sense that you did better, do it. If you are wrong, you are down around a hundred quid, but at least you can put it to bed and move forward

Thank you for talking it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

Would someone mind sharing the actual link to the March timetable...I don't know whether I'm just being a little dense but I can't see it anywhere, please and thank you :)

monroe89 wrote: »
    Would someone mind sharing the actual link to the March timetable...I don't know whether I'm just being a little dense but I can't see it anywhere, please and thank you :)

This should be the link to the application form which has the dates. Good luck.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/FE-1/FE1-application-March2017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭L124

Hey,
    I sat my first set in October - I only did three because with work and everything I didn't want to spread myself too thin.

Did quite well in two of them but got mid 30s in the last one. Law society said that the fail had been to the external on correction and if I appeal it will go to the same external marker so is there any point in me rechecking it? I know from talking to someone who got 48 in Equity before on their recheck were given a 47 so it doesn't seem like I would get anywhere and for 115€ I would probably be better just putting it towards the repeat.

If I do go ahead and just repeat the three (not something I want to do because I have actually passed and did well in two already) should I take a fourth subject? Can anyone recommend what fourth one to take?
    I did Contract, Constitutional, Tort - and failed contract.

Any advice would be great- thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

L124 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I sat my first set in October - I only did three because with work and everything I didn't want to spread myself too thin.

Did quite well in two of them but got mid 30s in the last one. Law society said that the fail had been to the external on correction and if I appeal it will go to the same external marker so is there any point in me rechecking it? I know from talking to someone who got 48 in Equity before on their recheck were given a 47 so it doesn't seem like I would get anywhere and for 115€ I would probably be better just putting it towards the repeat.

If I do go ahead and just repeat the three (not something I want to do because I have actually passed and did well in two already) should I take a fourth subject? Can anyone recommend what fourth one to take?
    I did Contract, Constitutional, Tort - and failed contract.

Any advice would be great- thanks!!

Hi L124!

Can I just ask how you found out that an external examiner marked your paper? I also failed Contract for a second time and its my final exam.

A fourth subject should be fine if you have the majority of your notes done. I would go for property as a fourth as the work load is quite small compared to others and it has a very high pass rate. :)

smeal wrote: »
    Hi L124!

Can I just ask how you found out that an external examiner marked your paper? I also failed Contract for a second time and its my final exam.

A fourth subject should be fine if you have the majority of your notes done. I would go for property as a fourth as the work load is quite small compared to others and it has a very high pass rate. :)

Hey,

Well I rang them Friday soon after I saw the results - was hoping there was some way I could hold onto my passes, needless to say I was a bit of a wreck. (It just doesn't seem fair that you have to redo exams that you have passed simply because you failed a completely separate exam?) So during the conversation I was told I can always recheck my paper and it would go to the external marker. I literally just asked if it was the same external that might have seen my paper and they said there's only one external marker so yes but they didn't know if the external saw my paper, but within seconds (I think my script must have been in front of them) said yes the external did review your paper.

My guess is the external sees all fails and if not then I have no idea why mine was reviewed. perhaps the initial marker sent it to the external with a question about something or what not.

I just can't imagine having seen my script they will say they were wrong and award the 14% to pass. I answered all 5 questions and did a (what I thought was) a fairly good stab at it as in I had legal authorities for my points.

Also - thank you for the tip re. property!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

L124 wrote: »
    Hey,

Well I rang them Friday soon after I saw the results - was hoping there was some way I could hold onto my passes, needless to say I was a bit of a wreck. (It just doesn't seem fair that you have to redo exams that you have passed simply because you failed a completely separate exam?) So during the conversation I was told I can always recheck my paper and it would go to the external marker. I literally just asked if it was the same external that might have seen my paper and they said there's only one external marker so yes but they didn't know if the external saw my paper, but within seconds (I think my script must have been in front of them) said yes the external did review your paper.

My guess is the external sees all fails and if not then I have no idea why mine was reviewed. perhaps the initial marker sent it to the external with a question about something or what not.

I just can't imagine having seen my script they will say they were wrong and award the 14% to pass. I answered all 5 questions and did a (what I thought was) a fairly good stab at it as in I had legal authorities for my points.

Also - thank you for the tip re. property!

If the external marker does indeed see all fails then I doubt he/she actually marks it. I mean otherwise no ones rechecks would go up.

Redo91 wrote: »
    If the external marker does indeed see all fails then I doubt he/she actually marks it. I mean otherwise no ones rechecks would go up.

To be honest, I don't know the number of papers the external reviews upon the initial marking of the papers etc. All I am saying is that I have no idea why the external would look at a random 36% paper when the pass mark is 50%.the only justification I can find is that the external sees them all.
    But of course, as you say, why then would anyone be brought up upon recheck. :confused:

My first time round sitting the FE1s so I am the least qualified person to answer any questions really.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Exam marking is a very qualitative process and as such, many factors can have a bearing and lead to a "harsh" result. There isn't that much of a difference between 36% and 50% in terms of the marking of exams - the difference could be just a few marks per question, depending on how the marks are divided up.

If a mark is appealed, a fresh look is taken and I would think a concerted effort to be as objective as possible comes into play and this can result in those few marks being added here and there bringing it up to an overall pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 chocchip12

Hi guys congrats to all who passed! I failed equity with 43% and I'm debating getting it rechecked since I thought it was one of the better exams.

Does anyone know when the rechecks are done? It would be fairly useless to find out in February that I still failed it and had to repeat!

Thanks in advance!

chocchip12 wrote: »
    Hi guys congrats to all who passed! I failed equity with 43% and I'm debating getting it rechecked since I thought it was one of the better exams.

Does anyone know when the rechecks are done? It would be fairly useless to find out in February that I still failed it and had to repeat!

Thanks in advance!

Hey :)

It says on the re-check application form that the (provisional) date of rechecked results would be 20th Jan. So you'd still have time then to apply for your repeat if you needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nekk

Just passed the last of my FE1s. What's the next step does anybody know? What do I need to do now once I have found a training solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 collao

Does anyone have a Contract exam grid they can send me? I have up to date Company/Constitutional ones in return.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

nekk wrote: »
    Just passed the last of my FE1s. What's the next step does anybody know? What do I need to do now once I have found a training solicitor?

From their site;

If you have passed the FE-1, please note that you must apply for consent to enter into indentures of apprenticeship within five years of 31 December 2016.

You should probably ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Galwayfrench23

Is anyone unhappy or shocked by their contract law result? I considered it one of my better ones and stil got in the mid 30's. thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Is anyone unhappy or shocked by their contract law result? I considered it one of my better ones and stil got in the mid 30's. thanks :-)

I wouldn't say shocked exactly, I knew I didnt do fantastically in it but I was surprised my mark was only in the 30's, I did think my result would be somewhere in the 40's but just not enough to pass. I think it was very marked extremely hard this time round, not sure about any other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Does anyone know if we're allowed to apply online for the next sitting? Last time the link was directly below the results but the option doesn't seem to be available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Anyone know what came up in equity last sitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Dr Ice

Also does anyone know where the exam timetable is? I know someone posted the dates up here a few days ago but I can't find a link to it on the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement