Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood Buy and Sell Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

Hi, I'm looking for a half load for firewood (15m3) in west cork area. Cash on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

I still have a trailer load of firewood for sale, well seasoned (3+ years) in Tullycana, Co. Wexford area. Can deliver to Wexford Town. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Looking for trees in Louth area - standing or fallen...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

cut down a tree lately , and its more hassle than its worth , would prefer to buy a bag of it for around 70e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I have thinnings that I will be cutting this weekend hoping to cut a lorry load out of it (ash sycamore) in the westmeath area cam organise haulage if required !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I'd be interested in taking some of your thinings.
    I'm 15 km east of Mullingar.

Let me know what your arrangements etc are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

99nsr125 wrote:
    Let me know what your arrangements etc are

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

Looking for firewood in east mayo around the swinford area if anyone is selling could they PM me thanks

theduffer

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ppn

I have seasoned firewood to sell in west Tipp / east Limerick area, hardwood and softwood. Just wondering if there is more of a demand for builders bags full or 8×4 trailer loads. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

Morning PPN,
    Depends on your set up and how much time and timber you have to sell on. I've found that bags are a pain and more hastle than they are worth as some can be expensive and time consuming to fill. However if are delivering, barrow-bags can be sack-barrowed anywhere and are water proof (be careful tying them closed if the timber is not well seasoned the logs will sweat and cause black mould) and larger bags can be half unloaded and then moved by one man. We sell our timber in 1.3 m3 bucket loads for a set price, in and out they go. Quick and easy and you can just work from the stack of logs.
    Totally depends on your set up though.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Am going to be giving quite a bit of this wood away to friends and family - but was wondering what the rough cost would be (or demand) for someone to take the whole lot?

This was a 70ft cypress up until yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kdevitt wrote: »
    Am going to be giving quite a bit of this wood away to friends and family - but was wondering what the rough cost would be (or demand) for someone to take the whole lot?

This was a 70ft cypress up until yesterday!

I would be surprised if you cannot get someone to pay for it, Cypress is good burning except it needs to be seasoned. You will have no bother geting someone to take for free.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I would be surprised if you cannot get someone to pay for it, Cypress is good burning except it needs to be seasoned. You will have no bother geting someone to take for free.

Real good timber for burning. I had a few trees cut and chopped and stored in a shed for a year before burning. Burned in a stove and very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Thanks for the replies - am going to try and sell off the larger sections. Will see if theres any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I've been pricing around for firewood, and one seller was offering me 7.5 square Meters of chopped up fence posts, they haven't been used and are very dry, it's soft wood. He wants 450 euro, is this a reasonable price? And has anyone used similar before, what's it like for burning?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Some of the chemicals used to preserve these would be dangerous in a domestic fire, I reckon find something else.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Some of the chemicals used to preserve these would be dangerous in a domestic fire, I reckon find something else.

Was thinking that so quizzed him about it, they have not been treated. Any thoughts on the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Derby1

Was thinking that so quizzed him about it, they have not been treated. Any thoughts on the price?

If they are green pressurised they have been treated against rot with amongst other things arsenic - google it - heres one link -
    http://nelson.govt.nz/environment/air-quality/arsenic-and-treated-timber

I would burn an odd piece of treated timber but not a load for the year - why risk it!!

Derby1 wrote: »
    If they are green pressurised they have been treated against rot with amongst other things arsenic - google it - heres one link -
    http://nelson.govt.nz/environment/air-quality/arsenic-and-treated-timber

I would burn an odd piece of treated timber but not a load for the year - why risk it!!

Noted, Anyone any thoughts on the price tho, Is 450 for 10 cubic yards of soft wood reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

397373.jpgCan anyone name this timber for me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Noted, Anyone any thoughts on the price tho, Is 450 for 10 cubic yards of soft wood reasonable?
    45 a cube is cheap alright, esp for dry wood, edenderry pay more than that for wet woodchip (30%-45% MC) to burn on the power station.
    Although I would suggest that if I were going to burn them I'd want to be very sure that they had not been treated with preservatives,
    as when these are burnt some of the toxins produced are deposited nearby (most notably those which condense on the walls of your chimney).
    I am aware that you mentioned that the seller had assured you they were not treated,,, however he'd be motivated to say that wouldn't he?
    all the best
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Can anyone name this timber for me please
    a picture of the leaves on the standing trees or on the felled brash would help............ looks to be a softwood of some sort, fast growing, perhaps sitka, more info required......
    tim

a picture of the leaves on the standing trees or on the felled brash would help............ looks to be a softwood of some sort, fast growing, perhaps sitka, more info required......
    tim

I'm having problems posting more pictures for some reason.. will try get some up as soon as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

Lodgepole Pine?

Hopefully this picture will work. Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't have access to get a picture of the leaves of the tree

I think it's Douglas fir by looking on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Hopefully this picture will work. Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't have access to get a picture of the leaves of the tree

Definitely Douglas fir

Could anyone suggest somewhere for a bulk delivery of timber in the Wexford area please?

Is this good value? https://www.hotlogs.ie/product/bulk-bag-1-x-m3-hardwood-mix-20-22cm-8-9-inches/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jaymla627

TheTorment wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest somewhere for a bulk delivery of timber in the Wexford area please?

Is this good value? https://www.hotlogs.ie/product/bulk-bag-1-x-m3-hardwood-mix-20-22cm-8-9-inches/

Its daylight robbery, sell bulk loads of 1m3 hardwood here out of the yard for 55 euro, so the bag above would cost circa 100 euro of us....

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Its daylight robbery, sell bulk loads of 1m3 hardwood here out of the yard for 55 euro, so the bag above would cost circa 100 euro of us....

where are you based?

Advertisement