Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burka ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

I'm non-religious and do not support the ban
    Valmont wrote: »
    This argument is ridiculous; why do people keep repeating it? When it's cold, I often wear a hood with a scarf around my face. Should that be banned too?

If you were asked to remove it by a Garda or upon entering a shop would you comply?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

This post has been deleted.

The law also protects these women. Here's betting they won't be testifying in court...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing#Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Pro-rights for Burka + Anti-rights for public nudists = hypocrisy.

Simple as. Disfavour for public nudity is simply a cultural taboo, same as disfavour for the Burka (ignoring the security issue). Nudity isn't some grotesque, "objectively" wrong act, such as killing, it is just something that as a society, we chose to frown upon, some indeterminate time ago. Why are the libertarians not opposed to this "crime against freedom"?

Both of these issues lie on opposing ends of the same spectrum, yet we, as a society choose to make one end illegal while the other is not?

On the one hand, we have a mindset that people cannot dress a certain way for fear of offending, yet on the other hand, these same people cannot apply that thinking to just one more style of dress. Why not one more? Why not one less? Why not get rid of all these bans on dress?

You cannot have it both ways. Either we live in a society where laws are made that constrain the more extreme fashions of dressing, or we don't.

Your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Oh great! Justify the illiberal act of telling people what clothes they are allowed to wear by invoking the spectre of paedophilia on another continent. :(
    All I'm demonstrating with the Nigerian case is that religious people do have a tendency to believe themselves above the law, as you yourself conceded at some point last year ;) And that this tendency can produce undesirable results, whether it's justifying pedophila to a Nigerian politician, or having women forced to walk about the place with what are effectively refuse sacks wrapped around their heads.

BTW, I'd have been shot if I took a photo, but one time I was in Riyadh, I ate in the Family section of one mall restaurant, ending up at a table next to a group of African muslim women who were making very heavy weather indeed of eating their full-length spaghetti bolognese under and around, but never without, their niqabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I agree, the moral qualms of a society shouldn't be imposed by law.

Its a slippery slope.

This is not about moral qualms. This is about the oppression of women.

There is a subculture of jealous violence against women who refuse to wear veils in Muslim societies, and the veil has become a symbol of that violence and oppression in many western societies.

I personally am not sure how I feel about the ban.

Perhaps you'd be more sympathetic if you viewed the state as stepping in to support the right of women to do what they want, rather than what their religious leaders tell them they should want.

Have you been to Iran, for example, where -- I'm not joking -- the distance between a woman's eyebrows and the front edge of her scarf is a potent political signal which can and does result in women being beaten with sticks in the street by marauding thugs?

Poll added for extra goodness.

• Advertisement

And you're ignoring the fact that very frequently -- in the vast majority of cases I believe -- the choice is not freely made, either because the woman is forced by the threat of violence to agree to it, or because she's been manipulated by the leaders of the religious group which claims authority over her.

This debate wouldn't be happening, and this legislation wouldn't be needed, if the right to wear what one wants was being properly balanced by the reciprocal responsibility of genuinely truly free choice residing with the women concerned.
    They have the right to preach, but not to coerce.
    But do they have a right to manipulate? I don't think so.

And how do you enact and enforce laws which prevent people from succumbing to the threat of violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I'm religious and do not support the ban

Does that mean i can murder someone because i think it acceptable. thats the same logic. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

This is a rather naive suggestion. The veil, as I have mentioned before, is integrated with a subculture where violence against women is ok. And while some women may be ok with wearing the veil, others would be pressured into the practise. Making the veil legal would only work if it is completely dissociated from the violent treatment of women. Of course, if that were acheived, I would wager that the veil would be gone within a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

This is more about normalising Muslims into European society..

What next, force us to drink alcohol and beat the **** out of each other in Temple Bar? Stick screwdrivers through the heads of Polish lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm religious and support the ban
    Jesus I find this thread really depressing and scary :( If the issue is forcing women into wearing something they don't want to, then why not draw up a law that prevents that happening. To think this law has anything to do with protecting women is naive to say the least. Coersion aside, arguing that women are being 'brainwashed' is not a valid argumnet. Everyone experiences pressure over what they wear to some extent.

At the end of the day none of you have any real experience with Islamic culture and therefore you don't understand it. You can't comprehend that a woman my want to cover themselves for the purpose of modesty. Hell, I'm a woman and a lot of the time I would love nothing more than to cover my face and body, to have a break from the day to day hassles of wearing the right makeup, having my hair right, dealing with stares for men.

This is a huge step back from any kind of progressive society as far as I am concerned. Oppressing a sub group of people will only breed resentment and a huge feeling of injustice. I'll wager there will be an increase in the number of women wearing burkas in Belgium.

Protect women who are being forced to wear an item of clothing they don't want to, by forcing other woman who want to wear that item of clothing to take it off. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

What next, force us to achnologe equal rights for women and liberal inclusive ideals ? Stickup for lgb rights and religious equality?
    I know its shocking, but thats exactly what western society would like to bring to the party.

Protect women who are being forced to wear an item of clothing they don't want to, by forcing other woman who want to wear that item of clothing to take it off.

Yes. And that is perfectly fine.

People who make the claim that the veil is actually a free exercise in modesty seem to be unaware of the fact that the wearing of the veil is a legal requirement in many Muslim cultures, and there is a subculture of violence against those who do not wish to wear the veil. Cries of "freedom to wear the veil" are therefore little more than spin designed to cover up a deeply oppressive practise.

It will not, on its own, solve the problem overnight, but it will send a message to those who do not respect the equal rights of men and women in our society.

Morbert wrote: »
    Yes. And that is perfectly fine.

People who make the claim that the veil is actually a free exercise in modesty seem to be unaware of the fact that the wearing of the veil is a legal requirement in many Muslim cultures,
    Where? I don't know of any country where it is a "legal requirement".
    Morbert wrote: »
    and there is a subculture of violence against those who do not wish to wear the veil. Cries of "freedom to wear the veil" are therefore little more than spin designed to cover up a deeply oppressive practise.

I personally know women who choose to wear the veil, even though other members of their family do not do so. How many Muslim veil wearing women do you personally know?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

The first time I saw a Muslim woman wearing the whole get up I was so shocked :eek: It really disturbed me. I was walking down Camden street and this woman, was covered from head to toe, save for her eyes, in a black swathe of cloth. She also had black gloves and thick black shoes. Like a ghost or a non person. I just think it is crazy.

I know its shocking, but thats exactly what western society would like to bring to the party.

Makes your argument very weak when you have to edit my quote to something i did not say. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that the veil wearing is frequent (it isn't, thankfully) but that the incidence of it being worn unvoluntarily certainly is.
    While it's true that there's a lot of xenophobia which informs these debates both privately and publicly, it's also true true that there's a parallel and non-xenophobic debate to be had about the political significance of the veil and that's the debate we're having here.

The strict libertarian view that you are adopting here is reasonable if the people concerned are not manipulated or coerced, and are making a fully free choice informed by a wide experience of life and the world and its customs. Unfortunately, that is certainly not the case, so your viewpoint is understandable but naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    However, as some posters might confirm, there are various underground religious movements within China which reject the claim of the state to be the ultimate authority, a position which the religious movement typically reserves for itself and its belief system. Again, much as our Nigerian friend and his 13-year old wife have done.

Now, now. In your new-found enthusiasm for supporting Chinese government policy, you don't have to share in their mischaracterisation and demonisation of minority groups.

The underground religious movements in China do not claim to be the ultimate authority. They acknowledge the right of the State to legislate in most matters (eg economic & political issues, the military, police, import regulations etc). However, what they also maintain is that the rights of the State do not extend to dictating what churches should preach, or what books people should be allowed to read in the privacy of their own homes, or how people should pray. And, in this respect, they are in agreement with the United Nations and most civilised people who agree that such things are basic human rights that should not be subject to State interference.

Also, it is a complete falsehoosd to claim that such groups set themselves up as the ultimate authority. They want the right to choose for themselves what they preach, or how they pray, or what they read, but they most certainly do not see themselves as having any right to dictate to others in those matters. Rather they argue that these are matters for each person's individual conscience.

I appreciate that you have an ideological commitment to paint religious people in the worst light possible - but it makes you sound like the kind of parodies of atheists that many in this forum protest against. It's bad enough that a persecuted minority should be denied their human rights by a vicious totalitarian regime. It is, however, worse again when someone like you describes them as setting themselves up as the ultimate authority when they simply want to exercise the same basic human rights that you enjoy in this country.
    All I'm demonstrating with the Nigerian case is that religious people do have a tendency to believe themselves above the law, as you yourself conceded at some point last year
    If you want to argue that people should always obey the law in all circumstances, then that is up to you. The Nuremburg trials didn't feel that was actually a valid position, but maybe you know better than them.

But I still think you do yourself, and this forum, a great diservice by comparing people breaking totalitarian laws that restrict freedom of speech and assembly (basic human rights recognised by the UN) with paedophilia.

Heck, I guess by that kind of logic that Schindler was like Jack the Ripper in that he thought it was OK to break the law. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What next, force us to drink alcohol and beat the **** out of each other in Temple Bar? Stick screwdrivers through the heads of Polish lads?
    Still and all, better than flying planes into skyscrapers, eh?

Advertisement