Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've never read this thread before.... brings me back !
    Mine are a lot later on in their childhood but today...
    My daughter 11 stood up to a girl who has been picking on her very timid friend.
    My son 15 stood by his friend who has "come out", despite getting hassle from his classmates.
    Today I am feeling very proud of both of them :)

Fair play to both your son and daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

It's not something mine did but something i read

It´s for the moms.

I was out walking with my 4-year-old daughter. She picked up something off of the ground and started to put it in her mouth.

I took the item away from her and I asked her not to do that.
    'Why?' my daughter asked.

'Because it's been on the ground; you don't know where it's been, it'sdirty, And probably has germs,' I replied.

At this point, my daughter looked at me with total admiration and asked,'Mum, how do you know all this stuff? You are so smart.'

I was thinking quickly and replied, 'All mums know this stuff. It's onthe Mum Test. You have to know it, or they don't let you be a Mum.'

We walked along in silence for 2 or 3 minutes, but she was evidentlypondering this new information.

'Oh.....I get it!' she beamed, 'So if you don't pass the test you haveto be the dad.'

'Exactly,' I replied with a big smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've never read this thread before.... brings me back !
    Mine are a lot later on in their childhood but today...
    My daughter 11 stood up to a girl who has been picking on her very timid friend.
    My son 15 stood by his friend who has "come out", despite getting hassle from his classmates.
    Today I am feeling very proud of both of them :)

Well done to them, just shows that they've got great moral compasses and well done to you for rearing them to be decent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

the other day me and my daughter were messin, tickling and horsing around. she was giggling away and the next thing she broke down into hysterics, and then she says "oh mammy, THE FACE ON YA!". thanks rach!

also she is doing horseriding lessons and last saturday she did so well i almost cried, so proud of her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

lolly22 wrote: »
    It's not something mine did but something i read

It´s for the moms.

I was out walking with my 4-year-old daughter. She picked up something off of the ground and started to put it in her mouth.

I took the item away from her and I asked her not to do that.
    'Why?' my daughter asked.

'Because it's been on the ground; you don't know where it's been, it'sdirty, And probably has germs,' I replied.

At this point, my daughter looked at me with total admiration and asked,'Mum, how do you know all this stuff? You are so smart.'

I was thinking quickly and replied, 'All mums know this stuff. It's on the Mum Test. You have to know it, or they don't let you be a Mum.'

We walked along in silence for 2 or 3 minutes, but she was evidently pondering this new information.

'Oh.....I get it!' she beamed, 'So if you don't pass the test you have to be the dad.'

'Exactly,' I replied with a big smile on my face.

It's cute but I have to call it as being sexist and unsupportive of Dad's in general. This is the parenting forum for Mams and Dads and it has to be equally supportive of both.

We Mam's do expect Dad's to get as hands on as possible with our kids and for some of them it will be hard as their father's didn't and modern active invovled parenting is something which can be hard for them to get a grasp on.

Having two well rounded parents who are (post breast feeding) interchangeable is the best thing for a kid, yes parents will have different styles and there are differences in the examples a Dad and a Mam provide for a child in gender roles but when it comes to the every day hands on caring and the most basic things ideally Mam and Dad should be the same.

This is best for the child and for the parents as the burden of childcare is not placed on one of them and it's better for them in terms of stress and the impact it can have on their relationship.

Not being a good Mam makes you a Dad, sorry I can't get behind that even as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My kids have taken to leaving notes for me on my desk infront of the pc monitor.
    I never know what to expect, from a note asking me a question to a book left open on
    a page for me to read cos they think I might want to know or sweet or a lollipop left
    for me as I was not in the house when they wanted to share.

I came home yesterday after being out for the day to find a book open on a page about
    puffles, a postit requesting cheese sandwhiches for lunch and two 'last' rollos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Missed it myself, but was absolutely chuffed to hear about it.

I left for work this morning before the munchkin got up (18 months old). I was on the phone to her Mommy at lunch and was told.
    After she got up she walked accross the landing at home, she pointed at our bedroom door and said "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I was travelling over the weekend and the kids were told I'd be home on Sunday.

Apparrently, my eldest daughter (6) was up at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning, wanting to make me a special breakfast... because it was Sunday now, and surely I was home already... poor little thing... I wasn't home till later that evening.

Children are so sweet. Sometimes you just feel so inaquate at expressing to your children how much you love them.

di11on wrote: »
    I was travelling over the weekend and the kids were told I'd be home on Sunday.

Apparrently, my eldest daughter (6) was up at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning, wanting to make me a special breakfast... because it was Sunday now, and surely I was home already... poor little thing... I wasn't home till later that evening.

Children are so sweet. Sometimes you just feel so inaquate at expressing to your children how much you love them.

That is so cute.

I know what you mean about the expressing love thing. My daughter woke up last night and I was giving her a bottle and she fell back asleep in my arms and this overwhelming feeling of love just hit me like a tonne of bricks. Now, of course I love my child but I don't know what did it to me last night (pregnancy hormones maybe!), but I just sat there in the rocking chair with her asleep on me with tears streaming down my face because I love this little human being so much. My partner didn't know what to think when I came downstairs about an hour later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

One of the best things is how they think you're the best mum or dad, unfortunately once they get to around the preteen/teen mark you're then seen as stupid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

deisemum wrote: »
    One of the best things is how they think you're the best mum or dad, unfortunately once they get to around the preteen/teen mark you're then seen as stupid ;)

And you're the biggest/strongest too... even when you're definitely not :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I said smile.....This is what she did....

:D

imagewvn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I got woken up with a big half empty box of chocs from two small peoples with chocolate all over their faces, lol. I rue the day we took down that stair gate! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My eldest told me that I'm a brilliant artist "as good as... whatisname that did the mona Lisa" :D:D She then said that me and Mrbug could stay in bed this morning and she and her brother would get themselves up/ breakfast.

The younger seemed to miss that memo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

We received a home made valentines card from 7 year old on Sunday with the following verse

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    No one hates you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Put petrol in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My little fella amazes me he is so cute and clever. he is 15 months, anyhow I was getting him ready thismorning and he had done a poo, I left the nappy in a nappy bag out on the landing to dispose of outside.

He found it, picked it up and brought it into the bin in my ensuite and put it in the bin!!

Hopefully he will always be this neat and tidy!!:)

Quality wrote: »
    My little fella amazes me he is so cute and clever. he is 15 months, anyhow I was getting him ready thismorning and he had done a poo, I left the nappy in a nappy bag out on the landing to dispose of outside.

He found it, picked it up and brought it into the bin in my ensuite and put it in the bin!!

Hopefully he will always be this neat and tidy!!:)

Wish my maggot was the same! Put a cup of Coca Cola on the table this morning and turned away for two seconds, it was all over her and the table when i turned back around!

She also now sticks her tongue out at me in a very purposeful and cheeky way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my 3yr old gave his little sis a kiss before going to bed and went to the kitchen for a drink, as i passed him while taking her to bed he said 'good night i love you' to her but when i leaned her in for a kiss he pushed her away and said 'I already kissed her'. love only goes so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

He told me that I am a big elephant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He told me that I am a big elephant.
    If only that line worked as well coming from us dads! :p

I think we'd (deservedly) get quite a different reaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Sleepy wrote: »
    If only that line worked as well coming from us dads! :p

I think we'd (deservedly) get quite a different reaction!
    Well I can think of a rather crude retort to a dad about NOT being anything near to being like a big elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Molly comes to work with me every Saturday and knows most of the customers as I have said here before. This week she was off creche sick and a particular customer came back and gave her chocolate buttons with which she was delighted. So today, the same customer was in again. Molly started on at me that she wanted to sit on my lap and talk to Petey (the customer). So up she went. She started, "Oh Hi Petey," with the tilted head and fluttering of eyelashes, and then stood close to him at the counter and leaned in to him and whispered (so I couldn't veto the idea) "Petey, I want more chocolate buttons please!". MORTO! :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Smiled for the first time, going to be mega cute when he does it awake!

She posted on boards.ie for the first time :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i was rolling around the house today will a pain in my stomach (thought it was a bug) and my little princess sat behind me and rubbed my back. she winded me! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

She posted on boards.ie for the first time :O

What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

My little super hero is a little under the weather at the moment. When I was on my way to college he ran to me and said I love you in sign language as best has he could. I almost cried! Did I mention he is only 20 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

A couple of months ago while in the toilets at a shopping centre my just turned 2 yo announced in his extremely loud voice 'mammy, you got no willy!' Cue sniggers from the other stalls. I guess it could have been worse, 'mammy you got a willy' probably wouldn't have generated the same sniggers.

He's now in his 'why' stage. The other day I played along to see how long it would go on for.
    Me: we're going to auntie x's
    Him: why?
    Me: cos we're giving her a lift to grandad's to get her car
    Me: cos she left it there last night
    Me: cos she was going to the pub
    Me: cos it was her friend Y's birthday during the week
    Me: cos 30 years ago last thurs Y was born
    Me: cos 9 mths earlier Y's parents got it on
    Him: Oh.
    ...and he went off happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My child is the most amazing child in the world. Like many of yours I am sure. He does not speak more than 10 words and uses hand signals for everything. The most amazing thing he does is the simplest things. Like for example I went to mass the other day and he sat at the door waiting for me. Or his younger brother kept crying and he gave him his soother.

If you ever have a chance get your hands on the poem "Subh Millis" I have mis spelt it I know. It teaches you a lot. It teaches you to take a totally different view of your kids. I dont always suceed at this but I do try.

Advertisement