Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming gigs and events

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Fair play - the fact of your gig definitely needs more promotion though. Deserves a thread of its own here and over in dance/electronica. If you don't, I will use my mod power to ban you and request the same here. In fact, a site ban. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Fair play - the fact of your gig definitely needs more promotion though. Deserves a thread of its own here and over in dance/electronica. If you don't, I will use my mod power to ban you and request the same here. In fact, a site ban. :pac:
    ahh cheers man.
    I'll post it as a thread in the morning here and in dance/electronica and maybe in 'Investments & Markets' to get some blanket coverage going.

Then again, I've never been banned from a message board so could go for it now just to experience the sweet loneliness and isolation (he muses miserably like a middle aged emo kid)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 choral

FIRE-AND-THE-ROSE-8-3.jpg

FIRE-AND-THE-ROSE-8-3.jpg
    One of the world’s greatest composer’s, Russian born Sofia Gubaidulina will bring her world renowned contemporary music to the Drogheda Arts Festival on the evening of the 1st May.

Gubaidulina (pronounced ‘goo-bye-DOO-lee-nah) who is visiting Ireland for the first time, will attend a composer portrait concert at St Peter’s Church, Drogheda in which highly acclaimed performers including Ivan Monighetti, the Dublin Guitar Quartet, Malachy Robinson, the Heath Quartet, The Oriel Trio and Dermot Dunne will perform a range of her works.

The concert is the latest of several high profile art music events organised by the Louth Contemporary Music Society, to bring world renowned composers to Ireland, previously having successfully featured, Arvo Pärt, Philip Glass, Terry Riley and Valentyn Silvestov.

Eamonn Quinn, Artistic Director with the LCMS, spoke about the forthcoming event.
    “We are proud to be able to attract such major contemporary musical events to the area and host such high calibre composers who have chosen to have their music performed in Ireland.”
    “It is very exciting to be able to bring the works of Gubaidulina here to Ireland. She has been called the greatest Russian composer at work today since Shostakovich.”

“We are a small society trying to make a big difference to Contemporary music in Ireland. We are becoming more recognised internationally and this has helped us to attract such important composers and performers to attend and participate in our music events,” he said.

“The ‘Fire and the Rose’ performance will be a significant cultural event for Ireland, as it is the first composer portrait of Gubaidulina with the composer present in Ireland.”

Born in 1931 in the Tartar region of the former Soviet Union, performance of her works was forbidden and she was subject to the severest of repression. Now, her music, which was unknown in the West before the Iron Curtain fell, is in great demand by artists all over the world.
    Her unique music is marked by the use of unusual instrumental combinations and tunings and shows her interest in folk and ritual instruments from Russia, the Caucasus region and Asia.
    Sometimes, fiery and sometimes as soft as a rose, her music includes elements of Christian spirituality, musical symbolism, unique structures derived from fragmentation and repetition of simple material. Early on in her career, she was supported by Dmitri Shostakovich who recognised the musical gift that she possesses.

In 2007, Gubaidulina was the first woman composer to be spotlighted by the BBC during its annual ‘composer weekend’ in London and she has been awarded many prestigious awards including the Prix de Monaco in 1987 and the Living Composer Prize of the Cannes Classical Awards in 2003.

The Fire and the Rose: the Music of Sofia Gubaidulina is presented by Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS) in association with Drogheda Arts Festival. The event is funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon and financially supported by the Drogheda Arts Festival and Louth County Council.

A free viewing of the Barrie Gavin film ‘A Fire and a Rose’ about the life and work of Gubaidulina scripted by Gerard McBurney will take place at 5pm in Barlow House on the 1 May 2010
    Tickets for the performance priced €15 are available from www.centralticketbureau.com and Highlanes Gallery, Laurence St, Drogheda Telephone: +353 (0)41 9807114. Tickets for the screening of the film the Fire and the Rose are available from the festival box office in Highlanes.

The Fire and the Rose is part of the Drogheda Arts Festival. The Drogheda Arts Festival will run at various venues in Drogheda from 1-4 May 2010. For programme details and biographies of Gulaidulina and the performers see www.louthcms.org www.droghedaartsfestival.ie and www.createlouth.ie

1. Programme
    Gubaidulina Reflection on a Theme B-A-C-H Heath Quartet
    Bach Cello Suite Ivan Monighetti
    Gubaidulina Garden of Joy and Sorrow The Oriel Trio
    Gubaidulina In Croce Dermot Dunne + Ivan Monighetti
    Gubaidulina Repentance Ivan Monighetti, Dublin Guitar Quartet + Malachy Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

DominoDub wrote: »

CANCELLATION OF CONCERT - WEDNESDAY 21ST APRIL, 9PM

The Bedroom Community Whale Watching Tour, scheduled for this Wednesday 21st April has been CANCELLED due to the travel disruption. PLEASE CONTACT THE BOX OFFICE ON 01 417 0000 FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

via the Lads in Iceland
    http://www.bedroomcommunity.net/news/article/wwt_volcano_disruption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

SOMA ArtBox & Spaced Records presents
    an evening of ambient electronic music, soundscapes & beats

On 21 May 2010, at 8:00 pm, SOMA will host a special performance and album launch by Waterford based Australian ambient electronic composer ‘miXile’. His music focuses largely on the characteristics of sounds, organised and performed to evoke an atmospheric, visual and unobtrusive quality.

The album, ‘Noosa Sunrise’ his sixth, is based around field recordings made in South East Queensland, Australia and was part recorded live at the recent Transylvania Calling Festival before being taken back into the studio for completion. miXile has been working in the area of electronic music/sound & performance art since 1986 and is regularly invited to play prestigious electronic music events and festivals in Europe. He recently performed at the Science Gallery in Trinity College Dublin to premiere some of the new material.

miXile will be joined on the night by special guests Rich Flynn and Gav T who will be performing live sets of their own music. Visuals by Chris O’Brien Shanahan. For further information on participating artists, visit http://www.mixile.com/, or http://soundcloud.com/richflynn, or http://soundcloud.com/gav-timlin

OPENING RECEPTION: 8:00 pm, 12 May, 2010.
    Admission is free. BYOB.
    The Gallery is located at 6 Lombard Street, former tax office, Waterford city. Contact: SOMAwaterford@gmail.com. Visit: www.SOMAcontemporary.com
    poster_mixile_noosa-sunrise_soma_web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

ICTUS SERVER PROJECT

The composition students of the Royal Irish Academy of Music will be performing a concert of improvised electronic music in the Katherine Brennan Hall, in the Royal Irish Academy of Music, Westland Row, at 6pm on Wednesday the 26th.

Admission free.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Wolflinge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bestial celestial

yeh.jpg

Brian Conniffe (http://soundcloud.com/brian-conniffe)
    Suzanne Walsh (http://www.myspace.com/suzannewalshmusic)
    with Damien Donovan (http://soundcloud.com/eipi/)
    and Diarmuid MacDiarmada (http://www.myspace.com/diarmuidmacdiarmada)

http://www.myspace.com/brianandsu
    http://soundcloud.com/b-conniffe-and-s-walsh/

---

Children Under Hoof

http://www.myspace.com/childrenunderhoof

---

Estel

http://www.estelrocks.com/

---

Visuals by Dolorosa Delacruz

http://dolorosa-reveries.blogspot.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/dolorosa1

----

The Joinery,
    Arbour Hill, Stoneybatter
    Wednesday 25th August
    7.30 pm
    €5
    B.Y.O.B.

Californa-Kirana-A3_WEB-580x819.jpg

Louth Contemporary Music Society Celebrate Terry Riley’s 75th Birthday with
    Terry Riley, Talvin Singh, George Brooks
    California Kirana – The West Coast Legacy of Pran Nath
    An Tain Theatre Dundalk
    29 Oct 2010 @8pm.

Louth Contemporary Music Society, is honoured to present the world famous Terry Riley as he celebrates his 75 birthday to perform Indian ragas with arrangements on the saxophone played by the ever progressive saxophonist George Brooks and Mercury Music awarded tabla player Talvin Singh. Terry Riley who was listed in the London Sunday Times as "one of the 1000 makers of the 20th Century" is one of the founder fathers of minimalism in music. Terry Riley was invited by Louth Contemporary Music Society for his first visit to Ireland in May 2007.

This show is not only to celebrate Terry Riley’s birthday and welcome return to Ireland but also to see how Indian Classical music so easily flows into Jazz and minimalism, as well as seeing the young maestro and experimentalist of tabla, Talvin Singh, to perform in a traditional context.

Terry Riley, Talvin Singh and George Brooks will perform traditional ragas arranged for piano, voice, saxophone and tablas, focusing on some of Pran Nath’s favorite ragas from the Kirana tradition such as Darbari, Bageshri, Malkauns, Yemen and Bhimpolasi.

In addition they will perform works from the Riley-Brooks duo repertoire including movements from “Salome Dances for Peace“ and “Ebony Horns“. Each artist will also perform a solo work.

California Kirana – The West Coast Legacy of Pran Nath is presented by Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS) in association with Create Louth. California Kirana – The West Coast Legacy of Pran Nath is funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon and financially supported by Dundalk Town Council and Louth County Council. RTE lyric fm are the media sponsor.

Tickets for the performance priced €25 are available from www.centralticketbureau.com
Phone 0818 205 205(Ireland)
0870 850 2896 (UK)
    Or from An Tain Box office : Crowe Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

T: 042 9392919

Terry Riley
    California Composer Terry Riley launched what is now known as the Minimalist movement with his revolutionary classic IN C in 1964. This seminal work provided a new concept in musical form based on interlocking repetitive patterns. Its impact was to change the course of 20th Century music and its influence has been heard in the works of prominent composers such as Steve Reich, Philip Glass and John Adams.
    Terry Riley was strongly influenced by jazz and tape loop experiments when he began composing repetitive music. In 1964, Riley composed In C, which is generally considered the benchmark work of American Minimal music. Its impact was to change the course of 20th Century music and its influence has been heard in the works of prominent composers such as Steve Reich, Philip Glass and John Adams and many prominent rock bands such as The Who, Brian Eno and Curved Air. Later works like Cadenza on the Night Plain was selected by both Time and Newsweek as one of the 10 Best Classical Albums Of The Year. The epic string quartet cycle, Salome Dances for Peace, was selected as the #1 Classical Album Of The Year by USA Today magazine and was nominated for a Grammy. Terry Riley was listed in the London Sunday Times as "one of the 1000 makers of the 20th Century."

Talvin Singh Producer, composer and tabla player.
    The Mercury Music Prize 1999 winner is known for creating an innovative fusion of classical Indian music and drum and bass. He is generally considered as a central figure in the electronica sub genre called Asian Underground. Also, his traditional tabla playing has gained him world recognition and respect. He has worked with the likes of Bjork, Blondie, Madonna, Siouxsie & the Banshees, David Sylvian, Sun Ra, DJ Spooky, Massive Attack, Future Sound of London, Ryuchi Sakamoto, The Master Musicians of Jajouka, and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

George Brooks Saxophonist
    George Brooks has performed with such notable musicians as Etta James, the Brooklyn Philharmonic, Kronos Quartet, Anthony Braxton, Zakir Hussain, and Terry Riley. His original compositions combine elegant melodies with the rich harmonies of modern jazz and the driving rhythms of North India to form a unique and wholly satisfying musical experience.

• Advertisement

Brian Eno's Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
    with NASA footage
    Tuesday 9th November, 8pm
    Pioneering ensemble Icebreaker and formidable pedal steel guitarist BJ Cole bring their critically acclaimed performance of Brian Eno's album Apollo to Dublin for the first time.
    Widely regarded as Brian Eno's best and most influential ambient album, Apollo was written for Al Reinert's documentary on the Apollo space missions, For All Mankind. This show returns the music to its original conception, as a non-narrative counterpart to NASA footage from the Apollo programme which is projected during the performance: matching the mesmerizing beauty and tranquil mystery of the moon and Earth; the dizzying scale and humbling feat of engineering involved in taking people to the moon; and capturing the banality and the humour of the astronauts as they skitter about the moon's surface.
    The concert sees the studio bound album uniquely arranged by composer Jun Lee aka kayip (who was specially selected by Eno for this project) for modern classical group Icebreaker and pedal-steel guitarist BJ Cole. This unique multimedia experience is the final frontier for Eno's ambient music milestone.

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/Icebreaker-and-B-J--Cole-perform-music-from-BRIAN-.aspx?date=09/11/2010&time=2000&utm_campaign=CerysACSSApollo&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=NovEventsEzine&utm_content=Apollo&utm_term=%20-

Wow thanks - hope the tickets don't sell too quickly, no funds till early next week but need to get to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Folks in Kerry, Cork, Sligo and Dublin, this might be of interest...

5050728192_95468ceb49_z.jpg

fits wrote: »
    I saw this show in Brighton earlier this year. Cant recommend it highly enough.

Must grab my tickets for this soon so - I watched the following on youtube which has me completely sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

yup.

maybe i'll go again....

Tickets bought, couldn't allow laziness to leave one room and grab my wallet get in the way of potentially missing this! Can't wait.

Have my Ticket ,,got the same seat I had for the Fab "Whale Watching Tour II" from Icleand so I know the sound and view of the stage will be perfect !

I went for best available and got the yellow balcony - any idea if thats a good spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Philip Glass piece was amazing, the definite highlight for me. Apollo was great, but I found the visuals were competing with the music for my attention. Ended up concentrating more on the film, as I'd never seen it before. Great night overall.

Yeah loved the Philip Glass work ! Had a few freaked out people with me at half time:D , but they all left happy in the end !

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Wolflinge

l_333ee2e40600bbee0645bacdcde140da.jpg

Visit the Art Trail website: http://www.arttrail.ie/ for detail on the two Black Sun workshops that take place on Sunday 5th December.
    WORKSHOPS: DEC 5 - FORMER SAWMILLS, COPLEY ST.
    9.30 am - 1.15pm: comic drawing workshop with Malcy Duff (Usurper, missingtwin.net),
    1.30 - 5.30pm: junk instrument workshop with Malcy Duff & Ali Robertson (Usurper);
    **WORKSHOPS LIMITED TO 8 PLACES EACH.
    €8, BOOK AT FORMER SAWMILLS FROM NOV 19

**EXHIBITION: throughout ArtTrail - FORMER SAWMILLS
    Exhibition of comix by Malcy Duff (Usurper) [/URL]
    johnnycash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ddmurph

vomir.jpg

* Note: Early show ... doors 7.30pm, end 10.30pm *

The Pavilion (CORK)

February 26, 2011.

Dotdotdot presents:
    VOMIR
    BLUE SABBATH BLACK FIJI
    LA SOCIETE DES AMIS DU CRIME

DOORS 7.30 (END 10.30)
    ADMISSION €10

Vomir may well be the most extreme gig ever to come to Cork, with a sound built of layer upon layer of analogue noise, his performances are full on, and wash over and into the listeners. Prepare to be immersed.

http://vomirhnw.blogspot.com/

Blue Sabbath Black Fiji are a guitar noise duo from Glasgow, and make a riotous noise that pushes rock to the far limits. Blasts of pop and beats fight with vocals and guitar, recalling the tougher end of Sonic Youth, or Wolf Eyes.

www.myspace.com/bluesabbathblackfiji

La Société des Amis du Crime got their sounds, metals and voices twisted. And now you can see where that got them.

www.myspace.com/desamisducrime

www.dotdotdotmusic.com

thread over in gigs forum here ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70446019#post70446019

thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

This only happening in Cork or will they make it to Dublin too?

John wrote: »
    This only happening in Cork or will they make it to Dublin too?
    no, only cork. romain (vomir) has to be back in france again on the sunday so he's just flying in for this show. if anyone's planning on travelling down for the show and needs a place to stay, give me a shout and i should be able to sort something out.

also, dotdotdot will be releasing a vomir 7" in a few weeks (by the way, i'm not "dotdotdot", just in case anyone thinks i'm a gimp referring to myself in the third person!) ... and another new blockaders one too. oh yeah, and the cyclobe one is almost sold out from source (i think there's only 7 copies or so left)

edit: i'd highly recommend the cyclobe 7" by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I thought the Cyclobe one was sold out now. Great single though, glad I nabbed one.

ddmurph wrote: »
    dotdotdot will be releasing a vomir 7" in a few weeks
    a quick heads up on the new vomir dotdotdot 7" ... they were supposed to be ready in time for the gig on saturday but the pressing plant misprinted the labels on one side so they're gone back to be reprinted. a very limited number of the misprinted copies are going to be held back and will be on sale at a discounted rate at the gig on saturday though. the audio is perfect, the only difference is the label on one side. here's what it should look like ...
    vomire_web.jpg

paul wrote a really nice piece on wearenoise here ... http://wearenoise.com/index.php/2011/02/whats-all-the-noise-about/

also, this is the first des amis gig in cork in over a year

stick a black plastic bag on your head and just listen to your brain fry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Pauline Oliveros with John Godfrey

David Toop
    + more...

http://nationalsculpturefactory.com/?page_id=25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

studiorat wrote: »
    Pauline Oliveros with John Godfrey

David Toop
    + more...

http://nationalsculpturefactory.com/?page_id=25

It's not often I say I wish I lived in Cork, but that looks really good.

Advertisement