Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube announces it will no longer recommend conspiracy videos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Gonad wrote: »
    Here is a few of the teachers who were there that day and not one tear thinking back to small kids getting massacred
    Seems like they have some agenda they are pushing more than teachers who seen little kids getting blow away

I just watched the video. It's teachers being interviewed 2 years after the shooting.

Not sure I get your view, they aren't showing "enough emotion" for you?

It appears you somehow find that "strange" and believe there is some agenda? what agenda? What are you suggesting?

And to come back to this:
    Not saying it’s a hoax but a lot of strange **** about that situation

What are you saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Good old JAQing off.

The comments on the Sandy Hook video, horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Study blames YouTube for rise in number of Flat Earthers

Feel sorry for the people who actually believe in this stuff. Youtube is such an influential platform though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Gonad wrote: »
    Not saying it’s a hoax but a lot of strange **** about that situation . Here is a few of the teachers who were there that day and not one tear thinking back to small kids getting massacred
    Seems like they have some agenda they are pushing more than teachers who seen little kids getting blow away

https://youtu.be/grNzY4CQwnM

How can they pull off a hoax in a town where everyone knows each other business? Imagine any town or village in Ireland! Someone going to notice this never happened.

Sandy Hook population is 614 people, they could not keep that many people quiet.

• Advertisement

Youtube removing ads off anti-vaxx conspiracy videos. About time, and in future I wouldn't be surprised to see this encompass other junk science/conspiracy stuff

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47357252

• Registered Users Posts: 81,634 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amazon also pulling Anti-Vax docs from streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Some of the mad ideas and frankly disgusting comments on the Holocust and Sandy Hooke in this thread woukd make you support the kind of censorship youtube have announced.

Notwithstanding the flat earth nutjobs, scandals such as Seargent McCabe who was systematically destroyed by agents of the state at the highest level and which was supported by false documwnts and fake investigatioms.by other state agencies (Tulsa) under the eye of government ministers need an outlet to document their cause and claims. Just as with the paedophile rings in the UK ignored by thwir chold.protection agencies and local police taskforces that Tommy Robinson eventually got.into trouble reporting on - these claims were circulated pre youtube in papers and written victim statements hidden and supressed by state bodies for DECADES and never properly investigated or reported on. As with many other non popular scandals ignored or supported by the prevailing powers.
    The truth needa a platform - even if.it surrounded by nonsense fake claims like the flatearthers etc.

As the governments including our Irish one increasingly tried to.control and suppress social.media this is becoming more and.more an issue. Who controls the news and who dictates what we can know.or hear about?
    .Its not so long ago since we watched.in disbelief the starving men in concentration camps and death camps in Boznia in the 1990s - utterly.denied by their.government - the un is still.investigating forensically death camps and.killing sites.for.thousands.of governmemt ignored army civillian.murders based on religion. All denied at length by their.government.

Here we have the ongoing HSE government sulressed scandal ofgivernmwnt salaried HSE doctors and consultants hiding false medical results from.women - who are now dying and sueing a releluctant government who is dragging them through the courts hoping they will die before their delayed cases.come.up.for.trial.

We have a state media (RTE) that is effectively a press.release.agent for.the government and this same governmwnt controls.the radio by issuing licenses for.them - and refusing to renew.or.taking off.licenses.for.those that refuse to play by their 'rules'.

We need to be very careful.about how we.allow.knowledge to be issued, packaged and controlled. No.doubt we are adult enough.to sift through the nonsense - but the.media embargo.from rwanda and that genocide - the blanket government ban.on any reporting from Burma and the genocides in Tibet - not to.mention the harveating of human organs from Falung Gong/Dafu practitioners that took a Canadian Ambassador to investigate and speak up against. These were all.censored , flatly denied, journalists imprisoned or dissPpeared and utterly poopoo-ed before they wereproven to be true - usually by smuggled.out images and bits.of video in pre youtube days.

Why shut down the.greatest.resource the common man and victim has ? The odds are always stacked in the persecutors favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I hope to Christ the "Elvis is Alive" Looney Tunes are included in the ban. Jeez!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The Nal wrote: »

The idea that this is a "good" thing and that these ideas are "dangerous" is laughable.

I look forward to the world when everyone agrees with you and your pals and all other ideas are outlawed, things will be good then I'm sure, I really can't wait.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    The idea that this is a "good" thing and that these ideas are "dangerous" is laughable.

I look forward to the world when everyone agrees with you and your pals and all other ideas are outlawed, things will be good then I'm sure, I really can't wait.

Well the idea that some mental defect on youtube should be treated as if their opinions should be treated as fact is laughable.

Ipso wrote: »
    Well the idea that some mental defect on youtube should be treated as if their opinions should be treated as fact is laughable.

How's that superiority complex treating you?
    Talk about laughable.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Youtube removing ads off anti-vaxx conspiracy videos. About time, and in future I wouldn't be surprised to see this encompass other junk science/conspiracy stuff

No doubt there is a whole load of opinions and ideas and theories that you don't think people should be free to discuss. Funny that.

How's that superiority complex treating you?
    Talk about laughable.

It's hardly superior to look down on conspiracy theorists.

No doubt there is a whole load of opinions and ideas and theories that you don't think people should be free to discuss. Funny that.

it's not about freedom, it's about credibility.

Muslims are being attacked in India, people are setting cell phone towers on fire, why would you support dangerous medical disinformation during a pandemic?

Muslims are being attacked in India, people are setting cell phone towers on fire, why would you support dangerous medical disinformation during a pandemic?

I certainly don't agree with vandalism and never said I did.
    How does religious persecution in India connect to this topic?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Why does someone, so anti-conspiracy theory, post constantly in a discussion forum on conspiracy theories?

Is Boards not enough of an echo chamber for you?

I certainly don't agree with vandalism and never said I did.
    How does religious persecution in India connect to this topic?

Both are related to fake online theories linked to Coronavirus being spread on social media platforms

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Why does someone, so anti-conspiracy theory, post constantly in a discussion forum on conspiracy theories?

Is Boards not enough of an echo chamber for you?

I'm not "anti-conspiracy", there are plenty of conspiracies, inside jobs, cases of collusion, you name it, that happen

Both are related to fake online theories linked to Coronavirus being spread on social media platforms

Religious persecution tends to not require social media conspiracy theories to inflame it, the undercurrents of hatred involved in those situations tend to be omnipresent, can we definitively state that social media conspiracy theories are to blame for religious persecution in places where religious persecution is a fact of life at the best of times?

Glazers Out!

Unfortunately there appears to be a lot of people out there who are very easy to manipulate. They've been programmed by grifters to believe that the vast majority are "sheeple" and they are the enlightened ones. McClellands old need for affiliation. When actually the complete opposite is true. Same for these idiots whose whole life seems to be getting offended by everything.

Theres no studying done. A 10 minute youtube video or quote mine is enough to convince some and send them down a rabbit hole. Its all too reactive. And all the same, likes a bunch of clones. 5G, Bill Gates, Vaccines, Soros, open borders blah blah. Will be something new next week when that "market" is saturated.

A lot of social media addicts with no real desire to learn, with no patience or attention span yet very vocal and angry and just looking to "win" on an issue. Not a good combination.

Youtube are doing the right thing. They're helping the bewildered people who believe this stuff more than anyone else.

Unfortunately there appears to be a lot of people out there who are very easy to manipulate. They've been programmed by grifters to believe that the vast majority are "sheeple" and they are the enlightened ones. McClellands old need for affiliation. When actually the complete opposite is true. Same for these idiots whose whole life seems to be getting offended by everything.

Theres no studying done. A 10 minute youtube video or quote mine is enough to convince some and send them down a rabbit hole. Its all too reactive. And all the same, likes a bunch of clones. 5G, Bill Gates, Vaccines, Soros, open borders blah blah. Will be something new next week when that "market" is saturated.

A lot of social media addicts with no real desire to learn, with no patience or attention span yet very vocal and angry and just looking to "win" on an issue. Not a good combination.

Youtube are doing the right thing. They're helping the bewildered people who believe this stuff more than anyone else.

You are making a lot of assumptions in what you are saying.

YouTube is a private entity and can ban what it likes, but whatever method you've used to convince yourself that expression of alternative thoughts is all based on poor research by charlatans targeting intellectually challenged people is in point of fact your opinion of the situation. You state this opinion as fact as do your cohorts.
    One of your ilk blamed conspiracy theory video as for anti Islamic violence in India at the moment, when in reality you don't need to study modern Indian history in any sort of depth to understand that religious persecution is part of life in that country. So what do we learn from that exactly? Well it comes back to confirmation bias, if you start out with a stance on a subject that stance will inform everything you see in relation to it.
    Everyone is guilty of this, but some are less capable of admitting fallibility.
    People have every right to be sceptical about 5G if they wish to be, modern history shows a multitude of situations in which new technologies or inventions turned out to be harmful to humans, we don't have a great track record as a species in that regard. Profit often outweighs public safety and as a result people are sceptical about things and rightly so. Are you suggesting we let our guards down and allow big business to do as it pleases?

Glazers Out!

You are making a lot of assumptions in what you are saying.

Broad sweeping generalisations too but a lot of truth in there. I know people like that.
    YouTube is a private entity and can ban what it likes, but whatever method you've used to convince yourself that expression of alternative thoughts is all based on poor research by charlatans targeting intellectually challenged people is in point of fact your opinion of the situation. You state this opinion as fact as do your cohorts.

I dont know who my "cohorts" are. Im neither pro or anti conspiracy, left or right. But I do like the odd fact and the odd bit of evidence or even proof.
    One of your ilk blamed conspiracy theory video as for anti Islamic violence in India at the moment, when in reality you don't need to study modern Indian history in any sort of depth to understand that religious persecution is part of life in that country. So what do we learn from that exactly? Well it comes back to confirmation bias, if you start out with a stance on a subject that stance will inform everything you see in relation to it.

Again, "my ilk". Not sure who that is.

You have ignored the burning of 5G towers. Thats a direct result of these theories. Its dangerous. The people who did it are obviously thickos who need protection from themselves. It worked for radical Islam, it can works for these morons.
    Everyone is guilty of this, but some are less capable of admitting fallibility.
    People have every right to be sceptical about 5G if they wish to be, modern history shows a multitude of situations in which new technologies or inventions turned out to be harmful to humans, we don't have a great track record as a species in that regard. Profit often outweighs public safety and as a result people are sceptical about things and rightly so. Are you suggesting we let our guards down and allow big business to do as it pleases?

Absolutely not. I'm all for info though. Some of these conspiracy nuts are so sure than 5G is the devil, that it started this virus, thats its to be used to control people. And theres no evidence to suggest this is the case.

Like I don't really care if 9/11 was an inside job or not. I've no skin in the game. In theory its more than possible. Same for the JFK assassination. I would love for that to be proven as a conspiracy. But theres no evidence. Same for 5G causing all the things it causes/will cause. Or nearly any other big theory you could name.

So yeah, I'm fine with a private company banning nonsense, misinformation and lies on their platform. Some guy waffling on for 2 hours with his paypal link in the video description is not good because unfortunately some people are too thick to realise they're being had.

Broad sweeping generalisations too but a lot of truth in there. I know people like that.

I dont know who my "cohorts" are. Im neither pro or anti conspiracy, left or right. But I do like the odd fact and the odd bit of evidence or even proof.

Again, "my ilk". Not sure who that is.

You have ignored the burning of 5G towers. Thats a direct result of these theories. Its dangerous. The people who did it are obviously thickos who need protection from themselves. It worked for radical Islam, it can works for these morons.

Absolutely not. I'm all for info though. Some of these conspiracy nuts are so sure than 5G is the devil, that it started this virus, thats its to be used to control people. And theres no evidence to suggest this is the case.

Like I don't really care if 9/11 was an inside job or not. I've no skin in the game. In theory its more than possible. Same for the JFK assassination. I would love for that to be proven as a conspiracy. But theres no evidence. Same for 5G causing all the things it causes/will cause. Or nearly any other big theory you could name.

So yeah, I'm fine with a private company banning nonsense, misinformation and lies on their platform. Some guy waffling on for 2 hours with his paypal link in the video description is not good because unfortunately some people are too thick to realise they're being had.

Your ilk or indeed cohorts are people such as yourself who post regularly on this forum who take a easily understood stance on the topics at hand. My apologies for any hurt feelings I may have caused, I would suggest that a simple search through your posting history would clarify my simplification of your opinions on this forum. The same search through your posting history would suggest you do indeed have "skin in the game" in relation to these topics. The pretence that you have an open mind on these topics can be easily dismissed as a result.

I also never ignored the burning of the 5G towers, in fact I directly referenced it by saying I do not support it. For somebody who is "all for info" reading and comprehending a short post seems to have eluded you in this instance, something I'm sure was a momentary lapse of sorts for you, you would typically miss something so obvious I'm sure.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

everything is a conspiracy. even this thread!

Your ilk or indeed cohorts are people such as yourself who post regularly on this forum who take a easily understood stance on the topics at hand. My apologies for any hurt feelings I may have caused, I would suggest that a simple search through your posting history would clarify my simplification of your opinions on this forum. The same search through your posting history would suggest you do indeed have "skin in the game" in relation to these topics. The pretence that you have an open mind on these topics can be easily dismissed as a result.

I also never ignored the burning of the 5G towers, in fact I directly referenced it by saying I do not support it. For somebody who is "all for info" reading and comprehending a short post seems to have eluded you in this instance, something I'm sure was a momentary lapse of sorts for you, you would typically miss something so obvious I'm sure.

So do you think Youtube should allow anyone to post any old crap on their platform even if its potentially dangerous, if they know its for financial or political gain and if they know its not true? Where do we draw the line here?

So do you think Youtube should allow anyone to post any old crap on their platform even if its potentially dangerous, if they know its for financial or political gain and if they know its not true? Where do we draw the line here?

I have repeatedly said that they are a private entity and can ban what they like. Show me where I have deviated from that please.

My argument is that determining if something is "true" based solely upon received wisdom or popular opinion and then colouring anything outside that paradigm as intrinsically "dangerous" and subsequently celebrating its banning from any platform is morally questionable.

I may not agree with what these people have to say but should that extend to me wanting them silenced?
    I don't want to see our society descend into that type of a nanny state, albeit imposed by private companies if not government.

I feel, and maybe you are inherently opposed to this notion, that most people are intelligent enough to understand when something isn't worthy of their attention and make an informed decision about how the appropriate things they watch or read on the Internet. Which is to say that if something is ridiculous it should be self evident.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Religious persecution tends to not require social media conspiracy theories to inflame it, the undercurrents of hatred involved in those situations tend to be omnipresent, can we definitively state that social media conspiracy theories are to blame for religious persecution in places where religious persecution is a fact of life at the best of times?

There are cases of Muslims being attacked directly due to the conspiracy theory in India. Underlying tensions aside, the theory is completely false and puts people's lives at risk.

Advertisement