Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House in Rathmines for 250K

• 24-11-2018 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

I have been told that there is a house in Rathmines which can be bought for 250K. It apparently doesn't need any work. I haven't heard where exactly it is or the size. What sort of a house other than an absolute wreck of a fixer-upper could be bought for this price? IS it a case of too good to be true or is it possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A mobile home maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Definition of "Rathmines" and "house" may vary. The map below just shows the townlands, there are other definitions. While there are lots of large properties, there are also lots of very modest properties. Some people also deliberately advertise at an unrealistically low price.

This: https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/property-for-sale/dublin-6/?s%5Bmxp%5D=300000 throws up 13 properties in the area with prices of €220,000-300,000.

466833.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Buy it would be my advice, even if it’s in Crumlin that’s a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is it a house or maybe a ground floor self contained unit or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

All of those properties are apartments. This is a house, in Rathmines within 10 minutes walk of the Swan Centre. Own door. No service charge. All I know is that it is in Rathmines. I don't know the street. A mate of mine told me he is going to look at it. He won't say where it is until he has seen it and decided whether to go for it or not. I find it incredible that there is such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

4ensic15 wrote: »
    All of those properties are apartments. This is a house, in Rathmines within 10 minutes walk of the Swan Centre. Own door. No service charge. All I know is that it is in Rathmines. I don't know the street. A mate of mine told me he is going to look at it. He won't say where it is until he has seen it and decided whether to go for it or not. I find it incredible that there is such a thing.

I liven Rathmines; there are probably a few garden rooms/ancillary family accommodation which might be available for that price if they were approved as habitable accommodation etc but I doubt that any would have the appropriate planning consent to actually allow a sale to proceed.

The amusing thing about the maps cited is that Leinster Road (which many would see as the epitome of Rathmines flatland) falls outside it as does the Rathmines library and former College of Commerce building!

Marcusm wrote: »
    I liven Rathmines; there are probably a few garden rooms/ancillary family accommodation which might be available for that price if they were approved as habitable accommodation etc but I doubt that any would have the appropriate planning consent to actually allow a sale to proceed.

The amusing thing about the maps cited is that Leinster Road (which many would see as the epitome of Rathmines flatland) falls outside it as does the Rathmines library and former College of Commerce building!

It is not a garden room/granny flat. It is a two storey house. The maps are rubbish. York Road and Maxwell Road would be considered as fully in Rathmines. Frankfort Avenue would be in Rathmines for the eastern part of it. Cathal Brugha barracks not in Rathmines?? What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr.S wrote: »
    Didn't realise Rathmines went that far south, Dartry residents swear it's Rathgar :D

Far side of the Dodder is in no way Rathmines. The ONLY way you could squeeze that is the area used to be served by the Rathmines telephone exchange back in the 70s. Its Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is a garage. The recession is over now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

How come you can’t find out yourself? Is it not on line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Even if it's listed for 250k and it's as you describe it'll go for way more. There are no real secrets in the property market bar the odd family sale thst sneaks under the radar

How come you can’t find out yourself? Is it not on line?

The owner was asked by an agent how much he would take for it. He doesn't want a listing or a sign. He doesn't want a sales campaign. It is take it or leave it with individual, one at a time viewings. He told the agent to take one person at a time to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Had a quick look on Daft, you’d be dreaming about getting that kind of property for that kind of price. If you could go back 10 years in a time machine maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is a house
    Own door

A house with its own door? Thats just crazy talk!

A house with its own door? Thats just crazy talk!

Exactly.

Clickable map of Dublin townlands: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/DYf If nothing shows, click "Run". May not work on certain devices.

This is a map of things with Rathmines in their names: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/DYh
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Haroldscross East townland.
    It is not a garden room/granny flat. It is a two storey house. The maps are rubbish. York Road and Maxwell Road would be considered as fully in Rathmines. Frankfort Avenue would be in Rathmines for the eastern part of it.
    Ans some of the denizens would rightly insist it is Rathgar.
    Cathal Brugha barracks not in Rathmines??
    Do you mean the barracks formerly known as Portobello barracks? As a legalese person, surely you must appreciate that townlands and popular .. imagination are different things?
    ED E wrote: »
    Far side of the Dodder is in no way Rathmines. The ONLY way you could squeeze that is the area used to be served by the Rathmines telephone exchange back in the 70s. Its Churchtown.
    It's a map of townlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

What an utterly pointless thread.

Victor wrote: »

Do you mean the barracks formerly known as Portobello barracks? As a legalese person, surely you must appreciate that townlands and popular .. imagination are different things?

It's a map of townlands.

Townlands are legal Districts for conveyancing and jurisdiction purposes. Modern Districts do not correapond to them in many cases. Until the 1920s Upper Ranelagh was called Cullenswood. The modern districts correspond with town centres rather than ancient divisions. Portobello Barracks was so called because it has a gate opening onto the Canal at Portobello. The Reality is that its main gate faces the pub once known as the Rathmines Inn, it is across the road from Rathmines Parish Church and is only a few hundred metres from the Rathmines Town Hall. People live in urban villages, not townlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

Let me guess
    The vendor only accepts western union money transfer

dubrov wrote: »
    Let me guess
    The vendor only accepts western union money transfer

It is being shown through a PSRA registered Estate Agent. The mate checked that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is being shown through a PSRA registered Estate Agent. The mate checked that out.

None of what you are saying makes any sense. Why would somebody sell something for much less than it is worth in the worst way possible?

It is like some Willy Wonka eccentric decided I must sell this property but I don't want anyone to know. Or is it some divorce thing where somebody is hiding the sale?

It all sounds very urban legend.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    None of what you are saying makes any sense. Why would somebody sell something for much less than it is worth in the worst way possible?

It is like some Willy Wonka eccentric decided I must sell this property but I don't want anyone to know. Or is it some divorce thing where somebody is hiding the sale?

Without knowing the details how do you know how much it is worth?

Sometimes people want a quick sale.

I know of one probate sale where the joint executors wanted a quick, quiet sale so that funds could be put out of reach of the spendthrift in-laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Mr.S wrote: »
    Didn't realise Rathmines went that far south, Dartry residents swear it's Rathgar :D

Just Victoria talking shíte again. Best ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Will you be blindfolded on the way to view the property under orders by the vendor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have seen it happen. House sold through an estate agent, not listed... just offered to people the agent knew were looking at similar houses in the area. Sold for less than market (as per price listed on PPR) because the seller didn't want the hassle of viewings, sign in the garden and people knowing etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Victor wrote: »
    Sometimes people want a quick sale.

I know of one probate sale where the joint executors wanted a quick, quiet sale so that funds could be put out of reach of the spendthrift in-laws.

The quickest way to sell it would be advertise it and if you are offering it at a low price it will be easy to sell.

It is possibly true but extremely unlikely, surely I am not the only person to hear urban legends repeated and I heard this one before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well I found this one...it's Ranelagh, not Rathmines: but it IS within a fifteen-minute walk of Rathmines Library. (and the Swan Centre)

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/ranelagh/19-colliers-avenue-ranelagh-dublin-1946751/

For a measly 315K you can have a tiny, tiny freehold, own front door, as handy and central as anyone could want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Well I found this one...it's Ranelagh, not Rathmines: but it IS within a fifteen-minute walk of Rathmines Library. (and the Swan Centre)

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/ranelagh/19-colliers-avenue-ranelagh-dublin-1946751/

For a measly 315K you can have a tiny, tiny freehold, own front door, as handy and central as anyone could want.
    I imagine it is going to be one of those types, have been inside them before (the area I am thinking of is in Harolds X but can see how people might claim Rathmines; Emmet Street, Darley Street) and they are truly tiny!!!!

• Advertisement

The mate went to look at it. It is 2 storey, own door and in Rathmines, off the Upper Rathmines Road. It is only about 350 sq feet and there is no outside space at all. The front door opens directly from the living room into a lane. It is old but has been fully modernised. He wanted to go for it as a starter house but his girlfriend just won't have it. The bedrooms are tiny. Natural light is poor.

Advertisement