Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-07-2016, 00:18   #1
R0C

Family search transcribers wanted this weekend

I'm a little late posting this but this weekend familysearch.org have made scanned records available in the hopes they will be transcribed.

There are Irish records in there for anyone interested.

I've transcribed as many as I could fit in, and will continue to up to the deadline tomorrow.

You download their software and then pull down the records in batches.

To see the Irish records, set the batch download to "show all projects" as otherwise you will only see some American records they most need transcribed.

There are Irish civil registrations for births, deaths, marriages. I'm finding many of the Irish ones are very difficult to read (compared to the American records I've been transcribing), though the records are described as intermediate level.
Advertisement
17-07-2016, 05:16   #2
spurious
Category Moderator

I was merrily transcribing army enlistments from Wyoming, when I saw the Irish records on the list. I thought I'd give them a go. That idea didn't last long and I had to return my batch after only one entry. I decided to stick to the soldiers. I found the Irish ones quite hard to read too.
17-07-2016, 08:39   #3

I have a busy week ahead but I will try to catch up on this next week. Why is it saying '15 hours' on FS website? Is there a deadline?
17-07-2016, 08:47   #4
spurious
Category Moderator

Yes for some reason it's just for 72 hours.
(2) thanks from:
17-07-2016, 10:31   #5

Nice cheap way of doing.
Advertisement
17-07-2016, 10:52   #6
R0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I was merrily transcribing army enlistments from Wyoming, when I saw the Irish records on the list. I thought I'd give them a go. That idea didn't last long and I had to return my batch after only one entry. I decided to stick to the soldiers. I found the Irish ones quite hard to read too.
Yes, same as that. I've decided to stick with Alabama soldiers. Which is a pity as I came across records local to me in the Irish births but just couldn't read the handwriting.
17-07-2016, 13:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0C View Post
Yes, same as that. I've decided to stick with Alabama soldiers. Which is a pity as I came across records local to me in the Irish births but just couldn't read the handwriting.
I've done a few but the hand writing is very hard to decypher. It's a pity u can't pick your own area. I'm getting Brandon and banbridge as areas.
17-07-2016, 15:11   #8
KildareFan

I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can't manage to download the indexing programme. I click on the box and save a .exe file, but then I can't find it on my PC.... any ideas?
17-07-2016, 16:14   #9
R0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychoo View Post
I've done a few but the hand writing is very hard to decypher. It's a pity u can't pick your own area. I'm getting Brandon and banbridge as areas.
Try checking in or returning that batch and downloading a new batch. I got Antrim the first time but later got an area relevant to me (Galway). I had hoped I'd manage to read local records easier as I ought to recognise townlands and surnames but the handwriting was that cryptic, I had to give up on that batch too.
Advertisement
17-07-2016, 16:15   #10
R0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can't manage to download the indexing programme. I click on the box and save a .exe file, but then I can't find it on my PC.... any ideas?
Try a search for the file type? Mine went straight to desktop, but maybe check your downloads folder.
17-07-2016, 16:42   #11

Quote:
Yes for some reason it's just for 72 hours.
Doesn't make sense really. Oh well, if its not there by next weekend then I'll check out other records.
17-07-2016, 17:32   #12
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Doesn't make sense really. Oh well, if its not there by next weekend then I'll check out other records.
I wonder do they have a permanent volunteer group and this is a way of getting people into it?

I went back and got a different Irish record and it's not as bad as the others, though the scans seem quite poor quality ro me.
Thanks from:
17-07-2016, 17:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0C View Post
Try checking in or returning that batch and downloading a new batch. I got Antrim the first time but later got an area relevant to me (Galway). I had hoped I'd manage to read local records easier as I ought to recognise townlands and surnames but the handwriting was that cryptic, I had to give up on that batch too.
Its back to school for us so. I was hoping for records for the Kilkenny area.
17-07-2016, 21:21   #14

Quote:
I wonder do they have a permanent volunteer group and this is a way of getting people into it?

I went back and got a different Irish record and it's not as bad as the others, though the scans seem quite poor quality ro me.
I haven't done any as yet mainly because I need time to focus on it and don't always get the time I want, or when I want it. Hoping to do it soon though.
17-07-2016, 21:28   #15
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
It's called Indexing_windows.exe
It should be in your downloads folder.
Usually C:\users\YourName\Downloads

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion