Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

• 21-04-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all, I was at home the other day when a knock on the door revealed a uniformed gardai who was looking for a list of the people living in the house. This is because the queen's route "may" be passing this way and so everyone needs to be cleared. Now I don't really have a problem with this, but she then informed me that closer to the time several gardai would be coming down to search the house for explosives. Apparently every house, along possible routes, will be searched and inspected.

Now I have nothing to hide, however I think this is a pretty big invasion of privacy. I'm not planning on having her over for tea and scones after all.
    The amount this visit is costing aside (though my own personal view is that a private visit means its nothing to do with the gardai and nothing to do with me and so they should have to pay/cover at least some of the cost).

Oh I was just informed that she'll also most likely be travelling by helicopter too which means its even more unlikely that she'll be taking any of the several roads that they are searching.

So do they gardai need a search warrent or not to enter my premises?

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Thanks for your comments guys.

I bet you never expected to have your house turned over? Not wearing the hat is being polite in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

Suppose the house next door to you decided to let off a bomb as she was passing.

Would you be happy that their house wasn't searched beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

They need to get on the blower to the Met, I know for a fact she's hiding out in a little place off Spur Rd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

Thats a disgrace. I'd happily cause a fuss over that.

Shes welcome to visit anytime she likes but having the Gardai come in and turn over your house is insane or at least would be in a republic like the USA, here it seems anything goes.

Let her take her Helicopter, dog knows she can afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

To answer the OP's question, they need a warrant to search your house without your consent. You can, of course, consent to a search but you are under no obligation to do so and are protected under section 40 of the constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

No I live beside Croke Park and they can fcuk off.I dont bloody care if the Queen is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So do they gardai need a search warrent or not to enter my premises?
    Yes they do. But if they ask and you let them in, they don't.

You can refuse, but they'll probably find some way to justify getting a warrant to come in and search your premises if you do.

Easy life, you've nothing to hide, so why make a fuss over letting the Gardai in to look around? It's not like they're going to be rifling through your underwear.

I don't understand this extremist protection of privacy. No, they shouldn't be allowed to turn up at will and fire through your house, but when they have a valid reason just let them got on with their job and stop getting upset over nothing FFS.

The same people who'll be obstructing the Gardai on this and wasting their time are the same ones who'll foam at the mouth about wasting money and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform.

I love ridiculous rumours!! :cool:

seamus wrote: »
    I don't understand this extremist protection of privacy. No, they shouldn't be allowed to turn up at will and fire through your house, but when they have a valid reason just let them got on with their job and stop getting upset over nothing FFS.

If they have a valid reason then they can get a warrant. That is the whole point. If you are not under suspicion you have a constitutional right to the privacy of your own home. Just because Mrs Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is coming to tea doesn't mean you should have your rights trampled on.
    The same people who'll be obstructing the Gardai on this and wasting their time are the same ones who'll foam at the mouth about wasting money and resources.

I fail to see how getting Gardai to follow procedure is obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

OP - the Queens visit is an official / state visit - it is not a private visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

timmywex wrote: »
    I love ridiculous rumours!! :cool:
    What's ridiculous about that? I heard the guards have a massive book of evidence on Wayne Dundon, but keep having to let him go because the guard looking after the case doesn't like wearing hats. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stimpson wrote: »
    If they have a valid reason then they can get a warrant. That is the whole point. If you are not under suspicion you have a constitutional right to the privacy of your own home.
    Of course you do. But any decent person with an ounce of common sense would just let them get on with it rather than stamping their feet and blathering on about constitutional rights when there's no need to.

It's a reasonable request from a Garda. A reasonable person would let them just get on with it.

Of course you do. But any decent person with an ounce of common sense would just let them get on with it rather than stamping their feet and blathering on about constitutional rights when there's no need to.

Yeah, if people want to exercise their constitutional rights then the terrorists have already won. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

It is the state that gives the power to the Garda, not the uniform, Gardai have the exact same power out of uniform as they do when in full uniform.

As for the poster who mentioned the US, Have you seen what they do when they move their own president around? It's a lot more invasive than a local police coming around for a look. Up to and including welding manhole covers shut. Oh and my favourite, telling people not to come to work that day.....no reason given just don't be here when the president is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

stimpson wrote: »
    If they have a valid reason then they can get a warrant. That is the whole point. If you are not under suspicion you have a constitutional right to the privacy of your own home. Just because Mrs Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is coming to tea doesn't mean you should have your rights trampled on.

Garda;"Would it be ok if we search your house prior to the Queens arrival?"
    You:"yeah, no bother"
    Garda:"Good, we will be in touch"

Garda crosses off name.

Garda;"Would it be ok if we search your house prior to the Queens arrival?"
    You: :eek: "No chance! Besides you need a warrant before you come invading my privacy!"
    Garda:"Fair enough"
    Garda ticks box next to "Has something to hide".

Garda:"Of the 42 houses, three refused to search and told me I needed a warrant. This seemed unusual to me and piqued my suspicions, can I have a warrant to search each"
    Judge:"Sure you can!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fey2010

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    What's ridiculous about that? I heard the guards have a massive book of evidence on Wayne Dundon, but keep having to let him go because the guard looking after the case doesn't like wearing hats. True story.
    Do you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

I heard that as well:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A Garda is a Garda, even in a pair of waiders and a pink tutu and the word uniform generally refers to clothing making a Garda readily identifiable as being a Garda. Such clothing could be riot gear, bike leathers and high viz jacket for Traffic Corps, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

If the dubs think this is bad wait til the secret service really get going in Moneygall!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Unless you have something to hide why not just let them have a quick look around and be done with it?

What's the point causing hassle for yourself and the Gardaí when the end result is definitely going to be them looking around the place anyways?

But don't let them in if they're not wearing navy socks,obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

That's absolutely absurd. It's an invasion of privacy, no two ways about it.

Whether or not you've anything to hide is irrevelant, it's insane that the authorities are showing up at your house asking to search it because a foreign dignitary will happen to be passing by. The public aren't asked what foreign guests they'd like to visit the country and shouldn't have to facilitate the security measures of it by having their privacy invaded.

You should refuse to let them in and force them to get a warrant. Everyone else who's on this list should do the same. It's shameful to hear that this is going on, I'm embarrassed for Ireland.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

I've let the Gardai search my home twice because they were investigating a crime, thats being reasonable. Searching my home on the off chance one of the richest people on earth might drive by is a total waste of resources, to which I'll be happy to contribute.

Being presumed a terrorist because I choose to assert my rights only validates any decision not to cooperate in the first place.

If youre afraid to use your rights for fear of the consequences then you dont really have those rights in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

A Garda is a Garda, even in a pair of waiders and a pink tutu and the word uniform generally refers to clothing making a Garda readily identifiable as being a Garda. Such clothing could be riot gear, bike leathers and high viz jacket for Traffic Corps, etc etc
    Everyone knows that. Tutus are fine as long as they're wearing a hat.

Unless you have something to hide why not just let them have a quick look around and be done with it?

I'd be worried they would confiscate my tomato plants

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

If they want to search your house bottom line - they'll have a warrant and it will be searched.

And they can wear a pair of shorts and t-shirts if they want while doing it.
    If you want to refuse them entry on a lawful warrant or get in their way, 'exercising your constitutional rights?' - you'll end up with your door lawfully being put in and getting lawfully arrested. Then you'll be given a nice printed out copy of your rights.

A bit ott - maybe, invasion of privacy? - yeah i suppose. Is the Queen not rich enough to fly by chopper - of course she is but they always have contingency plans. But best just let them search it, its a state visit, I wouldn't have thought they would search houses along a route without good reason to...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I used to work in a well known Cork hotel and on one occasion the then Secretary for Northern Ireland was due to stay. The Guards demanded to see the passports and run security checks on all the staff. When the (French) head chef heard about this he refused to give details of any Irish staff working in the kitchen -non-Irish he had no problem with (he gave his own details) but told the Guards in no uncertain terms that they had two choices - they could force the issue and insist that Irish citizens under go a security check in their own country in which case he would close the kitchen or they could bugger off. They buggered off....
    We had a large number diplomats staying-including Jean Kennedy Smith the then US Ambassador - but had never before been asked to under go security clearance just to do our job.

I would strongly object to having my house searched. I am an Irish citizen living in Ireland -I do not see why my home should be 'invaded' because the head of a foreign state may pass by...

Locust wrote: »
    If they want to search your house bottom line - they'll have a warrant and it will be searched.

The point is that they are requesting access without a warrant.

I'm sure syklops is right and those refusing will be the only ones searched. That would be fine with me. If they had obtained a warrant they would be let in. I've noting to hide, but that doesn't mean that I'm prepared to invite AGS in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GetTheFFOut

Easy life, you've nothing to hide, so why make a fuss over letting the Gardai in to look around? It's not like they're going to be rifling through your underwear.

It's a reasonable request from a Garda. A reasonable person would let them just get on with it.
    What valid reason have they got? If I'm a law abiding citizen they have no reason to search my home no matter who may be walking past my window. There's nothing extremist about not wanting strangers searching through your home and personal belongings.
    There's nothing reasonable about the request, its my home, I've done nothing wrong and I don't want them in my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

stimpson wrote:
    The point is that they are requesting access without a warrant.

I'm sure syklops is right and those refusing will be the only ones searched. That would be fine with me. If they had obtained a warrant they would be let in. I've noting to hide, but that doesn't mean that I'm prepared to invite AGS in.

I'd like to thank you publicly for wasting my tax money, by insisting on gardai having to waste extra hours on getting a warrant for a search that you have no problem with, once there is a warrant. That's a few hours that that local Garda could be answering calls and dealing with the public.

I raise my glass to you stimpson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

What valid reason have they got? If I'm a law abiding citizen they have no reason to search my home no matter who may be walking past my window.

I suppose there a few reasons perhaps the main one that comes to mind is that there is a major threat from dissident republican groups to attack anything associated with the royals in Ireland?! They can't take any chances of an attack/bomb especially if it were in Dublin/built up area... Search OP's house? or don't bother because it might upset people, having a snoop around their rooms...?

Why you the law abiding citizens house? Let say hypothetically for the OP they may be coming past his front door. Lets just imagine for a moment - perhaps the authorities are acting on information they have intercepted/received via surveillance (fairly plausible i suppose) that the royals would be attacked on your road?! It would make sense in that hypothetical scenario to suss out and if need be search every building on the street.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement