Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking about getting a cat, breed advice.

• 21-10-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

been thinking of getting a cat for a long time. Still want to give it a lot thought and make sure I can be a good owner. I live in an apartment and I know the neighbourhood has some dogs roaming so I was wondering what the best cat is for mainly indoors?

Even at that, can cats remain indoors or do all cats need to be trained to go outside? I don't want to have a cat if its feeling trapped all the time. I am here nearly all the time working from home and studying in the evenings. In the future post covid I will most likely go back to work for 8 hours a day, so again want to consider the cat and its mental state here.

Looking for a breed that favours the indoors, thats affectionate but can still be alone for a few hours a day without it having an affect.

Any suggestions or advice? All ears.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

-Vega- wrote: »
    Hey folks,

been thinking of getting a cat for a long time. Still want to give it a lot thought and make sure I can be a good owner. I live in an apartment and I know the neighbourhood has some dogs roaming so I was wondering what the best cat is for mainly indoors?

Even at that, can cats remain indoors or do all cats need to be trained to go outside? I don't want to have a cat if its feeling trapped all the time. I am here nearly all the time working from home and studying in the evenings. In the future post covid I will most likely go back to work for 8 hours a day, so again want to consider the cat and its mental state here.

Looking for a breed that favours the indoors, thats affectionate but can still be alone for a few hours a day without it having an affect."

In that situation, two makes for happier cats than one. I had cats who were kept inside in towns and now mine are free range, as I am deep rural.

They will adapt. More easily if they have never been used to being out. Which makes kittens or young cats the better option.

Moggies make excellent pets. And there are so many needing homes. I used to breed Siamese and would love another but so many rescues needing homes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hey folks,

Looking for a breed that favours the indoors, thats affectionate but can still be alone for a few hours a day without it having an affect.

Any suggestions or advice? All ears.

Thanks
    I'll disagree with the above poster about needing a young cat; if anything most rescue cats from the street loooove being inside with food available and snooze around. Your best bet to be perfectly honest is not a breed of cat but personality of the cat and no breed will ever be able to tell you that. I'd go google what rescues are close to you and ask what cats they got that fit the bill. Some cats wants to be alone; others should have a companion and the cat rescue should be able to tell you what they have in that fits your bill so to speak. If you go for two cats go for bonded cats (that's two cats that are used to live with each other) rather than picking two random cats and hope it will work. In terms of age I'd honestly look at 1 year+ to have them out of the destructive kitten stage (it's enjoyable but they can shred anything and if the toilet is in another room oh well...) and even look at the 2+ bracket to have a cat who've settled in their persona.

We've worked as a rescue home and have had everything from kittens to direct from street rescues and being indoor 24/7 is not an issue. In fact one of our biggest cuddlers we had was a 7kg male tripole (front right leg had to be amputated due to damage) who'd wanted nothing more than sitting in your lap and get petted while he drooled on you, straight from street rescue. However because they are indoor you need to ensure they do get activated with suitable game play, places they can observe the outside etc. I'd strongly recommend Jackson Galaxy's youtube channel and books for more advise as well on how to ensure your cats remain happy. If it's a serious rescue as well they will not only come home to you to understand how you live but keep providing you with support as well. Only keep in mind a cat is not a couple of years commitment; you can talk 20+ years and the cat is still around and you will need to be ready to bring it with you as you move etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

I really only wanted to have 1 cat but if God wants me to have 2 then 5 it is :D

Seriously the rescues are probably your best bet. There are so many young and also older looking for homes and you’ll find the rescues have a good idea of temperament for different rehoming situations. 3 of ours came from rescues as kittens, 1 was dumped in the estate as a kitten and the last 1 ( yep not joking we have 5 ) adopted us on one of those snowy mornings in March 18 when she arrived at the door hungry unchipped and uncollared. That last one was around 2 then the vet thought but very sociable and has settled in very well with the others. She’s the only one that’s free to go indoor / outdoor, the others all indoor (but trained to leads for outdoor trips).

With indoor cats you do need stimulation and they need to be able see out so a cat tree is a big help. They love high places, security. You may find one that’s quite happy to be the sole head of the house and be quite comfortable in an empty house for periods in the day. Alternatively 2 of similar age and already used to each other gives them company and is not much extra work. You might just have to set a roster for lap times. ( just had a shift change right now as I type, the b&w left and the ginger has taken her place ).

Talk to the rescues. Remember also they will be vetting you and your home for suitability so both cat and human get the best deal for them both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Stratvs wrote: »
    I really only wanted to have 1 cat but if God wants me to have 2 then 5 it is :D

:D:D:D
    I'll borrow this line, if you don't mind :D

DBB wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    I'll borrow this line, if you don't mind :D

Saw it in a gift shop once, so can’t claim credit but you’re welcome !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Really any breed of cat can adapt to being indoors. I have two moggies and a Bengal, the moggies were outdoors and indoors at night for about 8-9 years. Now they’re indoors mainly but have an outdoor enclosure to go out for a few hours safely if the weather is nice. The Bengal has always been indoors only. They are one of the most high energy cat breeds there is, yet with proper stimulation he’s very happy to be an indoor cat. He even sulks on occasion when we do put him in the enclosure! He has puzzle feeders, lots of toys and plenty of scratching and climbing spots. It’s really down to the individual cat as opposed to breeds!

Nody wrote: »
    I'll disagree with the above poster about needing a young cat; if anything most rescue cats from the street loooove being inside with food available and snooze around. Your best bet to be perfectly honest is not a breed of cat but personality of the cat and no breed will ever be able to tell you that. I'd go google what rescues are close to you and ask what cats they got that fit the bill. Some cats wants to be alone; others should have a companion and the cat rescue should be able to tell you what they have in that fits your bill so to speak. If you go for two cats go for bonded cats (that's two cats that are used to live with each other) rather than picking two random cats and hope it will work. In terms of age I'd honestly look at 1 year+ to have them out of the destructive kitten stage (it's enjoyable but they can shred anything and if the toilet is in another room oh well...) and even look at the 2+ bracket to have a cat who've settled in their persona.

We've worked as a rescue home and have had everything from kittens to direct from street rescues and being indoor 24/7 is not an issue. In fact one of our biggest cuddlers we had was a 7kg male tripole (front right leg had to be amputated due to damage) who'd wanted nothing more than sitting in your lap and get petted while he drooled on you, straight from street rescue. However because they are indoor you need to ensure they do get activated with suitable game play, places they can observe the outside etc. I'd strongly recommend Jackson Galaxy's youtube channel and books for more advise as well on how to ensure your cats remain happy. If it's a serious rescue as well they will not only come home to you to understand how you live but keep providing you with support as well. Only keep in mind a cat is not a couple of years commitment; you can talk 20+ years and the cat is still around and you will need to be ready to bring it with you as you move etc.

The OP is not an experienced cat person as you and I are. I have currently six rescues and some of them have had problems after their past life. That we can deal with as we are so experienced.

There have been some threads here that reflect that ; always worries me that we never hear the outcome.

Young cats are less imprinted and easier for a first time " cat person " and of course there are so many littermates in rescues.

Really any breed of cat can adapt to being indoors. I have two moggies and a Bengal, the moggies were outdoors and indoors at night for about 8-9 years. Now they’re indoors mainly but have an outdoor enclosure to go out for a few hours safely if the weather is nice. The Bengal has always been indoors only. They are one of the most high energy cat breeds there is, yet with proper stimulation he’s very happy to be an indoor cat. He even sulks on occasion when we do put him in the enclosure! He has puzzle feeders, lots of toys and plenty of scratching and climbing spots. It’s really down to the individual cat as opposed to breeds!

Pure breds are a race apart! I bred Siamese for many years and they are the athletes and intelligentsia of the cat world. They could outthink any dog- and most humans. I miss them but when I came to Ireland; my first night I was kept awake by hungry neglected cats and after that...

Would love a Bengal! If ever you hear of a rescue, CALL ME!

But my current six rescues are wonderful.

Stratvs wrote: »

lol.. which is how I ended up with six assorted rescues ….. lol You will do grand!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I rehomed a ragdoll and he is an indoor cat and gets on great. He's very affectionate but is happy to sleep and laze around most of the day too.

We let him out to the back garden and he once jumped into the neighbours garden and got himself stuck. Had to move a few bits of furniture to prevent this happening. Would be too worried about letting him out the front to roam as he is a bit stupid(i.e. would get stuck somewhere again) and we'd be worried about him being stolen too.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    I rehomed a ragdoll and he is an indoor cat and gets on great. He's very affectionate but is happy to sleep and laze around most of the day too.

We let him out to the back garden and he once jumped into the neighbours garden and got himself stuck. Had to move a few bits of furniture to prevent this happening. Would be too worried about letting him out the front to roam as he is a bit stupid(i.e. would get stuck somewhere again) and we'd be worried about him being stolen too.

Ragdolls have a reputation for being very affectionate and for following you around the place like a puppy and seem like a good choice for indoor cat from what I've read. Although finding one for rehoming could be hard I'd imagine.

Course they're longhair ( as are 3 of our brood ) so you need to get used to grooming. On that, our vet mentioned tangle teasers about a year back as a good choice for grooming when we'd problems with other cat specific brushes and they absolutely love it. If you pick up the tangle teaser they line up for their turn !

It was the being left for 8 hours?
    The Op will be going back to work..I was always at home

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Graces7 wrote: »
    The OP is not an experienced cat person as you and I are. I have currently six rescues and some of them have had problems after their past life. That we can deal with as we are so experienced.
    And most basic rescues will recommend a selection cats that are not afraid of humans that are suitable; where as a kitten will be a energized rocket ball who'll get bored and start shredding stuff being along at home or simply pee in the sofa because they could not hold it. OP wanted cat(s) that could be let alone for several hours; an young adult to adult cat would fit that bill as long as the rescue does have any clue on their cats and what homes they should go to. If they suggest to OP a cat who's very reactive or got bad quirks than that's a rescue issue rather than an age issue to me; same way I'd be very concerned if I went to a rescue and they simply said I could take any cat I wanted. A good rescue will always aim to find a home that suits the cat rather than the other way around (which is what got many people here upset as well that the rescue refused them).

And most basic rescues will recommend a selection cats that are not afraid of humans that are suitable; where as a kitten will be a energized rocket ball who'll get bored and start shredding stuff being along at home or simply pee in the sofa because they could not hold it. OP wanted cat(s) that could be let alone for several hours; an young adult to adult cat would fit that bill as long as the rescue does have any clue on their cats and what homes they should go to. If they suggest to OP a cat who's very reactive or got bad quirks than that's a rescue issue rather than an age issue to me; same way I'd be very concerned if I went to a rescue and they simply said I could take any cat I wanted. A good rescue will always aim to find a home that suits the cat rather than the other way around (which is what got many people here upset as well that the rescue refused them).

Hey we are on the same side here! Different experiences and different ideas is all!! !! :eek: ;):

The more variety of ideas the OP gets the better. Please! I am upset!

Small point. I have almost never had any links with a big rescue. Jacob came from a very new small rescue that was more focussed on dogs and goats and stopped taking cats. The latest trio were from a dear young Romanian lass who had to go home and was desperately trying to rehome her nine street rescues. Oh and Tonto is a refugee from the farm up the lane who were not feeding him.

Another time I was visiting my good friends at Ards Friary when someone had dumped three small kittens in a flower bed. I managed to rehome 2 with a priest, and took the third home.

Been at this for forty years!

OP; any progress? I do hope some of all this is helpful. I found my last trio on donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

I am just taking it all in and making notes on the various breeds and bits of advice. I expected a reply or two but seen as this still has legs, I'll just keep my mouth shut and ears open!

Spoke to a friend of mine last night also who has a few cats for many years and got some great advice there too.

My gut feeling right now is I better talk to an expert at one of the rescue shelters, as was mentioned earlier they will match people with a cat based on the cats needs. So if they say that they wouldn't recommend it, I'll put a plug in it and walk away. Come back with a bigger apartment or one with a garden in a year or two. Many people here seem to know their stuff and everyone seems to trust the knowledge of the people at the shelters so I'll trust in that too.

Definitely will keep a cat in a bad environment because I want to be affectionate and have a cat. Don't worry!

Appreciate all the advice however, its very interesting and eye opening. :)

I am just taking it all in and making notes on the various breeds and bits of advice. I expected a reply or two but seen as this still has legs, I'll just keep my mouth shut and ears open!

Spoke to a friend of mine last night also who has a few cats for many years and got some great advice there too.

My gut feeling right now is I better talk to an expert at one of the rescue shelters, as was mentioned earlier they will match people with a cat based on the cats needs. So if they say that they wouldn't recommend it, I'll put a plug in it and walk away. Come back with a bigger apartment or one with a garden in a year or two. Many people here seem to know their stuff and everyone seems to trust the knowledge of the people at the shelters so I'll trust in that too.

Definitely will not keep a cat in a bad environment because I want to be affectionate and have a cat. Don't worry!

Appreciate all the advice however, its very interesting and eye opening. :)

I think you made a slight omission so I have altered it slightly ! Good luck !

Hey we are on the same side here! Different experiences and different ideas is all!! !! :eek: ;):
    Sorry; I did no mean to imply it as aggressive :) I've worked with various rescues and some were worse than others but I've only found one rescue I'd never recommend :)

I've yet to have anything but moggies but I have hope for a big tom main coon one day simply because of the experience (not into showing etc.) :).

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

I think you made a slight omission so I have altered it slightly ! Good luck !

hahaha

Jesus, one word can change the whole meaning! Thanks for proof reading that, now need you to double check my assignments if you are free :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bunnypaws

I think British shorthairs are fabulous for indoors. They are very affectionate a breed that are most like dogs, without being walked. Be careful they will never give you privacy, even will follow you to the toilet!
    Another would be domestic longhaired. I find the females I find prefer to be indoors more so than the males! Be prepared for a lot of grooming though!
    I really find it's only right to allow a domestic shorthair to be out if they want, idk?
    But best of luck with finding your dream cat:)

• Advertisement

hahaha

Jesus, one word can change the whole meaning! Thanks for proof reading that, now need you to double check my assignments if you are free :p

lol.. and yes I am free! I was an English teacher and my " red pen eye" has never stopped working. Gimlet eye!

Sorry; I did no mean to imply it as aggressive :) I've worked with various rescues and some were worse than others but I've only found one rescue I'd never recommend :)

I've yet to have anything but moggies but I have hope for a big tom main coon one fday simply because of the experience (not into showing etc.) :).[/QUOTE

For me it would be a huge Bengal! The local cats are neglected, inbred and tiny. The ferryman's eyes nearly popped out when he saw Boycat and Jacob! Imagine a Bengal! Cats are scorned here. But mine impressed by catching all the rats.

I loved the Siamese So intelligent and cunning.. but on my first night in Ireland I was kept awake by cats howling in hunger. I gave them my chicken stew. And since then.. Selkie, one of my latest trio, is clearly part Oriental. So I am delighted.

Oh and I saved a rescue from extinction! Got them a grant.

Advertisement