Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband problems

Options
  • 21-11-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I live in area that doesn't have great phone/broadband coverage. I have been using eir for the past three years and have been happy with it until two weeks ago. I'm doing a course online and for the past two weeks, the broadband dies even though it worked for the past 8 weeks. I rang eir and they said that there was a fault outside the house, engineer came the next day and said there wasn't. Anyway, the internet is working on phone/tablet until I turn on my laptop. My question is - could my laptop be at fault? Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hello there,

I live in area that doesn't have great phone/broadband coverage. I have been using eir for the past three years and have been happy with it until two weeks ago. I'm doing a course online and for the past two weeks, the broadband dies even though it worked for the past 8 weeks. I rang eir and they said that there was a fault outside the house, engineer came the next day and said there wasn't. Anyway, the internet is working on phone/tablet until I turn on my laptop. My question is - could my laptop be at fault? Any solutions? Thanks in advance.
    Is internet gone completely or just unbearably slow?
    Is it down/slow on all devices or only laptop?
    Do you use VPN?
    See if laptop is downloading updates (providing its Win10)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Is internet gone completely or just unbearably slow?
    Is it down/slow on all devices or only laptop?
    Do you use VPN?
    See if laptop is downloading updates (providing its Win10)

It's not working on laptop and the light on the router goes red when laptop is on - it doesn't happen when I'm using my tablet. I was thinking since I posted, windows updated my laptop about two weeks ago. I had a look online and the problem could be the network adapter - I might uninstall it and let windows update it and see if this works.

It's not working on laptop and the light on the router goes red when laptop is on - it doesn't happen when I'm using my tablet. I was thinking since I posted, windows updated my laptop about two weeks ago. I had a look online and the problem could be the network adapter - I might uninstall it and let windows update it and see if this works.
    Sure, no harm try that
    First see what driver is in use right now - Win updates notorious to replace drivers with theirs(and it can cause issues), i however, prefer drivers from hardware manufacturer
    Please clarify: when laptop is ON, are all other devices loose internet as well?
    Could it be there is duplicate IP issue?

Sure, no harm try that
    First see what driver is in use right now - Win updates notorious to replace drivers with theirs(and it can cause issues), i however, prefer drivers from hardware manufacturer
    Please clarify: when laptop is ON, are all other devices loose internet as well?
    Could it be there is duplicate IP issue?

They all lose internet - the red light turns on on router.
    I hate windows updates - everytime my laptop turns on - something goes wrong. I was informed not to turn them off.

They all lose internet - the red light turns on on router.
    I hate windows updates - everytime my laptop turns on - something goes wrong. I was informed not to turn them off.
    Win10 updates cannot be turned OFF - welcome to the club :D
    Win/driver issues should not kill internet on other devices.
    Duplicate address could have effect - see if laptop (other device) not set on static IP that is in routers DHCP range. Physical test - turn OFF everything. Turn ON laptop fist, see if it works, then other devices one-by-one. Restarting(power Off/power On) router does no harm, might help.

This utility would read and tell you IP's for all devices on you local network

The way i have set my router - DHCP pool is only 50 IP's - not expecting more than that per household at any given time. Other devices are on statics as they are "static" : servers, AP's, TV's, printers, even some PC's

• Advertisement

Win10 updates cannot be turned OFF - welcome to the club :D
    Win/driver issues should not kill internet on other devices.
    Duplicate address could have effect - see if laptop (other device) not set on static IP that is in routers DHCP range. Physical test - turn OFF everything. Turn ON laptop fist, see if it works, then other devices one-by-one. Restarting(power Off/power On) router does no harm, might help.

This utility would read and tell you IP's for all devices on you local network

The way i have set my router - DHCP pool is only 50 IP's - not expecting more than that per household at any given time. Other devices are on statics as they are "static" : servers, AP's, TV's, printers, even some PC's

Update - I turned on laptop today and everything worked for about an hour. I watched a YouTube clip, made a call in Facebook and everything was working!
    About 5:30, the internet died again.

Things I did:
    I tested the connection and there is no data loss
    I reset the network adapter using settings - restart computer
    I reset network using command prompt
    I also used Device Manager and updated the drivers in the Network Adapters and all are up to date.
    Troubleshoot Network and Security and got the these three messages
    Problem with windows adapter or access point
    "WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration
    A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broke

Update - I turned on laptop today and everything worked for about an hour. I watched a YouTube clip, made a call in Facebook and everything was working!
    About 5:30, the internet died again.

Things I did:
    I tested the connection and there is no data loss
    I reset the network adapter using settings - restart computer
    I reset network using command prompt
    I also used Device Manager and updated the drivers in the Network Adapters and all are up to date.
    Troubleshoot Network and Security and got the these three messages
    Problem with windows adapter or access point
    "WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration
    A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broke
    And if you restart router, will it start working again?

And if you restart router, will it start working again?

No. It connects sometimes, and says 'secured, no internet' or just secured but does not open anything - red light on router. Rinse and Repeat - same result.

No. It connects sometimes, and says 'secured, no internet' or just secured but does not open anything - red light on router. Rinse and Repeat - same result.
    Try to disable IPv6 on laptop or on router(DHCPv6) or both

Try to disable IPv6 on laptop or on router(DHCPv6) or both

Sorry, how do you do that? Is it in the Device Manager?
    How do you do it on the router?

• Advertisement

Sorry, how do you do that? Is it in the Device Manager?
    How do you do it on the router?
    DHCPv6 on router - log in on its web interface, look through settings(depend on model)

IPv6 on network card from Control Panel>>Network and Internet>>Network and Sharing Center
    533817.JPG

What is that red light indicating on router?

DHCPv6 on router - log in on its web interface, look through settings(depend on model)

IPv6 on network card from Control Panel>>Network and Internet>>Network and Sharing Center
    533817.JPG

What is that red light indicating on router?

Thank you for that. Unfortunately that didn't work either. I'm giving up! The red light indicates that there is no signal.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately that didn't work either. I'm giving up! The red light indicates that there is no signal.
    Is it WiFi indicator?

What is router make/model?

Is it WiFi indicator?

What is router make/model?

It's a eircom D1000 modem

It's a eircom D1000 modem
    Scratching my head here...
    Is this your main router?
    1. D1000 is outdated device and i do remember having issues with WiFi on it years ago - once a week/two it would fail to connect any device till you restart router.
    2. Does device belong to Eir (contract) - allow them to investigate, no need to mention that other devices work OK, just give them laptop info. Cant remember if there are logs on the router to look through.
      In any way it would be wise to upgrade....

Or is it serving just as access point?
    1. Is it configured correctly(reset would knock that of):
      Static IP outside main router DHCP range
      DHCP disabled

Same time, if avail:
    Test your laptop on another router(relative/friend perhaps)
    Test different laptop on your router

Scratching my head here...
    Is this your main router?
    1. D1000 is outdated device and i do remember having issues with WiFi on it years ago - once a week/two it would fail to connect any device till you restart router.
    2. Does device belong to Eir (contract) - allow them to investigate, no need to mention that other devices work OK, just give them laptop info. Cant remember if there are logs on the router to look through.
      In any way it would be wise to upgrade....

Or is it serving just as access point?
    1. Is it configured correctly(reset would knock that of):
      Static IP outside main router DHCP range
      DHCP disabled

Same time, if avail:
    Test your laptop on another router(relative/friend perhaps)
    Test different laptop on your router

I would definitely agree it's outdated. I'm living at home so I use what's there. It's been in the house for a while. Eir were out last week and said everything was working perfectly and I suppose it is as it is only my laptop that is problematic but I can't understand why when I turn on my laptop, it stops wifi on all devices.

I'll try the work wifi tomorrow (which is also problematic) but that's another story.

Wifi works with my phone.

I'm going to try my old laptop now and see what happens. Edit: I tried it and it's not picking up the wifi. It's running vista though :)

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisement