Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Can hold 200,000 doses, so for our population and with regular supply should be fine. We should be aiming for 20,000 - 30,000 vaccines a day.

Great, thanks, plenty of room so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

hmmm wrote: »
    We can scan for the micro-chip afterwards.

rfid? If you are unlocking doors, without your passcard you are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Maybe this is very naive but these mrna vaccines seem like a major breakthrough. Like does it give us the ability to get our bodies to create an immune response to any protein structure we can create instruction for? Does that not mean we can vaccinate against every virus not just coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Maybe this is very naive but these mrna vaccines seem like a major breakthrough. Like does it give us the ability to get our bodies to create an immune response to any protein structure we can create instruction for? Does that not mean we can vaccinate against every virus not just coronavirus?

Yes, if you can encode the protein with mRNA (should be basically any protein that a living cell can produce) then you can make a vaccine that creates an immune response against it. There might be ways how to solve some auto-immune disorders as well by creating proteins that bind to rouge antibodies but don't block the bodies own signaling proteins for the same receptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm feeling hopeful today about the HSE's capabilities.. don't ruin it for me today at least :P

• Advertisement

Russia will begin a mass rollout from next week of their jab

https://www.ft.com/content/5669c29c-a998-4373-9541-059169bf5ccb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Can hold 200,000 doses, so for our population and with regular supply should be fine. We should be aiming for 20,000 - 30,000 vaccines a day.

There are freezers that don't need power supply and can store up to 40,000 doses for a couple of days, this could cope with a few logistics issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

An article in the Telegraph says that people will still have to self-isolate after taking the vaccine. So what's the point in taking the vaccine if nothing changes?

https://mobile.twitter.com/simondolan?prefetchtimestamp=1607087658589

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Caraibh wrote: »
    An article in the Telegraph says that people will still have to self-isolate after taking the vaccine. So what's the point in taking the vaccine if nothing changes?

The restirctions are based on the incidence level of the disease. When the numbers vaccinated increase, the numbers presenting with the disease will decline and the restrictions will fall down through the levels to zero. It just won't all happen in one week though. Maybe 3-4 months to work through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

The restirctions are based on the incidence level of the disease. When the numbers vaccinated increase, the numbers presenting with the disease will decline and the restrictions will fall down through the levels to zero. It just won't all happen in one week though. Maybe 3-4 months to work through.

Thanks. I read the comments on the tweet and people were freaking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

30,000 a day should be the bare minimum if we want to get 3m people vaccinated before the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Caraibh wrote: »

If the article wasnt behind a paywall it should shed some better light.

You can still bit a transmittor of the virus thats why vacine will have some impact on transmission but not be fully sterilising. So you may not get sick from it but you can pass to someone else who would not be protected ie. such as someone who hasn't been vacinated. So funnily enough its not really fair on someone who got the jab.

So if someone is a close contact or got a pcr positive they may still be asked to restrict their movements. Likely to be less than 2 weeks considering vacine should have an impact on viral load.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What are people's thought's on allowing private citizens to pay for the vaccine to get it sooner? The optics aren't great if people with money are skipping the queue I'll agree but just think about it for a second:

1. It takes cost off the state and puts it onto the individual.
    2. It gets to herd immunity much faster, meaning we can open the country up faster
    3. It's not accepted accross the board that vulnerable people should get it first. france for example, is vaccinating workers and sheilding the vulnerable. It's just a legitimate approach as any other.

If the bottleneck is vaccine distribution, and it is quite likely that it might be - what's the point in having warehouses full of doses just sitting there because Solidarity or whoever doesn't like the state not being in total control?

If there is 50000 doses a week coming into ireland but we're only able to vaccinate 20,000 people using the govt created system, surely they should make the rest available for sale to whoever wants them?

Maybe I am missing something. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

brisan wrote: »
    30,000 a day should be the bare minimum if we want to get 3m people vaccinated before the end of June

I really can't see us hitting that sort of number in that timeframe unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do.

For the sake of argument, lets say we ended up with 10 centres for vaccination, and lets say each of those had 10 booths or stalls. Each one would have to get through 300 per day. If they were open 12 hours a day that's 25 people per hour, little more than 2 minutes per person. That's before dealing with the people who'll actually take up 5 minutes because they have to ask a heap of questions of the person giving the shot. Where do I park when this is done ? What forms do I need to fill out ? I forgot a pen, etc etc.

I know that's completely "back of an envelope" with regard to numbers, but its still a massive, massive task.

I though read somewhere too that people need to stay around for 15 minutes after taking the shot in case of an adverse reaction - the parking requirements for that alone are huge.

GPs and chemists will take up some slack, but even they only schedule appointments every 15 mins, and they'll have their "normal" patients to see too.

Russman wrote: »
    If they were open 12 hours a day .

I think they should be open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. It would be worth paying HCW to are doing the job triple wages to get the job done faster. Give them a holiday and a bonus at the end of it as well.

These lockdowns are destroying the country and the virus is killing people, it's as bad as a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭conor_mc

jackboy wrote: »
    The UK approving first makes him look bad. Second in the US is seen as no better than last. He is concerned about his own image not about the ‘rushed’ approval.

Nonsense, the man received multiple, serious death threats for preaching science over image, he is clearly not motivated by his “image”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The first batch of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has arrived in Northern Ireland - vaccinations start on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I really can't see us hitting that sort of number in that timeframe unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do.

For the sake of argument, lets say we ended up with 10 centres for vaccination, and lets say each of those had 10 booths or stalls. Each one would have to get through 300 per day. If they were open 12 hours a day that's 25 people per hour, little more than 2 minutes per person. That's before dealing with the people who'll actually take up 5 minutes because they have to ask a heap of questions of the person giving the shot. Where do I park when this is done ? What forms do I need to fill out ? I forgot a pen, etc etc.

I know that's completely "back of an envelope" with regard to numbers, but its still a massive, massive task.

I though read somewhere too that people need to stay around for 15 minutes after taking the shot in case of an adverse reaction - the parking requirements for that alone are huge.

GPs and chemists will take up some slack, but even they only schedule appointments every 15 mins, and they'll have their "normal" patients to see too.

Why so few centres ?
    Exhibition centre ,Croke park ,3 areana ,Aviva stadium ,Blanchardstown hospital green space ,Beaumomt hospital green space ,Mater private car park
    Thats just few in Dublin
    Why only 10 booths .why not 20,50 75 100
    How many nurses are qualified to give a vaccine
    GP surgeries will be a waste of time
    Can you see any over 70 going into a GP surgery and leaving 5 min later
    IT will be at least 20 mins again they discuss all their aches and pains
    Run it like a military operation ,throw money and people at it and gety it done as quick as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Sky King wrote: »
    What are people's thought's on allowing private citizens to pay for the vaccine to get it sooner? The optics aren't great if people with money are skipping the queue I'll agree but just think about it for a second:

2. It gets to herd immunity much faster, meaning we can open the country up faster
    3. It's not accepted accross the board that vulnerable people should get it first. france for example, is vaccinating workers and sheilding the vulnerable. It's just a legitimate approach as any other.

If the bottleneck is vaccine distribution, and it is quite likely that it might be - what's the point in having warehouses full of doses just sitting there because Solidarity or whoever doesn't like the state not being in total control?

If there is 50000 doses a week coming into ireland but we're only able to vaccinate 20,000 people using the govt created system, surely they should make the rest available for sale to whoever wants them?

Forget about cost savings to the state, this pandemic is costing more to the economy by the week than any vacine rollout.

Private system would need to flex up to meet the demand and would be tapping into the same limited number of resources as public would for flexing up their operations.

If private resources are used it would by service agreements with the public system.
    There would be war if it was a those who can pay can jump the queue, but you already knew that. Especially when people in lower socio economic backgrounds have tended to be more at risk.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Individual UK vaccination centres are planning to vaccinate up to 5000 people every day. If we set up 6 of these we can reach this number, without even taking into account GP's and hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

I think they should be open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. It would be worth paying HCW to are doing the job triple wages to get the job done faster. Give them a holiday and a bonus at the end of it as well.

These lockdowns are destroying the country and the virus is killing people, it's as bad as a war.

It would possibly be worthwhile to make some 24 hour facilities available but no point having all of them open, you'd just end up with a load of missed appointments at 4am leading to stock wastage

I dunno, people get up at 4am to drive to the airport to get flights to Spain, I would be top of the queue for a vaccine at 4am if it meant I could get it done sooner and could go on holidays a few weeks afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Individual UK vaccination centres are planning to vaccinate up to 5000 people every day. If we set up 6 of these we can reach this number, without even taking into account GP's and hospitals.

If they are able to do 100,000 tests a week they should able to vaccinate that number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It seems that a few governments are very optimistic about the distribution of the vaccines to their popuplations.
    Italy said that they will start end of January, and they are sure they will give the vaccine to a very good part of the population by the end of August, which, I think, is pure sci-fi.

How is this a rule that an ADR will show up within 15 minutes?
    It could happen, say, 23 minutes later, when one is already on the road, driving on a motorway and ends up in a ditch because they get sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Highly unlikely GPs surgeries will be administering vaccines

And neither should they

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How is this a rule that an ADR will show up within 15 minutes?
    It could happen, say, 23 minutes later, when one is already on the road, driving on a motorway and ends up in a ditch because they get sick.

Thats just a rule for the sake of a rule.
    If anyone got the flu vaccine this year they told them to get out right after the jab. Any other year and you would sitting twiddling your thumbs for 15 minutes, or else have just stood up and left early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

brisan wrote: »
    Why so few centres ?
    Exhibition centre ,Croke park ,3 areana ,Aviva stadium ,Blanchardstown hospital green space ,Beaumomt hospital green space ,Mater private car park
    Thats just few in Dublin
    Why only 10 booths .why not 20,50 75 100
    How many nurses are qualified to give a vaccine
    GP surgeries will be a waste of time
    Can you see any over 70 going into a GP surgery and leaving 5 min later
    IT will be at least 20 mins again they discuss all their aches and pains
    Run it like a military operation ,throw money and people at it and gety it done as quick as possible

I don't disagree with you at all. I was only throwing out numbers to see the scale of what's required. I read somewhere that Germany were building 60 centres so I took a flier at 10 centres for us.
    Money isn't really an issue for once, but there are other logistical resources that are finite - trained staff, syringes, space, vaccine shots, refrigeration capability etc..

Totally agree with running it like a military operation. Hopefully that's what they'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If anyone got the flu vaccine this year they told them to get out right after the jab. Any other year and you would sitting twiddling your thumbs for 15 minutes, or else have just stood up and left early.

Not at my GP, we were told to go to the "recovery" room - which is the old waiting room, normally not in use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sconsey

JimmyVik wrote: »

I've got the flu jab many times over the years, never asked to hang around, just in and out every time.

• Advertisement

If you get 50,000 doses and the uptake amongst the highest priority group is only 20,000 of these, you move to the next priority group. Not the lad who wants to skip the queue with a help of a few quid.

I think that's where capitalism starts slipping into dystopia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement