Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free sat nav for android phone

• 23-10-2019 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a good free sat nav which is clear and easy to use and also if they have lane guidance?
    What would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I find Waze is good. Not so sure about lane guidance as I'm not on motorways much. I find it easier to read than Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

For offline navigation (that is, no internet required, when traveling abroad or no signal) I use Here maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Here maps is especially good for travelling when you don't want to use data roaming. You can download maps in advance. I have used it in the states for driving in Washington and Florida and for walking around New York. It doesn't always find the address that you are looking for in offline mode, so I would always search the address in advance while on Wifi.

For Ireland I use Waze as I find the live traffic info to be excellent as it is Waze users that are providing a lot of the info - making it more current. Seems to be quite accurate on estimated time of arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google maps beats them all and is downloadable (within limits) if you're abroad, has lane assist

Otherwise, Waze and Here are good, check them out on youtube.

biko wrote: »
    Google maps beats them all and is downloadable (within limits) if you're abroad...

In some countries you cannot download maps at all on Google Maps. It depends on who is providing map data with Google and what agreements they have, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, it's unclear what the OP is intending to use this for, here or abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

BraveDonut wrote: »
    For Ireland I use Waze as I find the live traffic info to be excellent as it is Waze users that are providing a lot of the info - making it more current. Seems to be quite accurate on estimated time of arrival

I find it terrible for the ETA. It's consistently about 5 minutes out on my 25 minute commute for no reason I can figure. Google maps is always accurate to within a minute.

The main cause of lack of accuracy for things like ETA and routing are the lack of users in your vicinity. I find ETAs with Google Maps are equally as useless as Waze in Cork city when there is traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In some countries you cannot download maps at all on Google Maps. It depends on who is providing map data with Google and what agreements they have, etc.

What countries? I've downloaded a good few different countries and never had any issues. If the OP isn't going to a country with the download restrictions then Google would be good for them.

The OP is looking for offline maps so traffic won't be available and ETA will be a best guess.

Japan is one country where you cannot download offline maps for GMaps, but you'd be mad to go there without mobile data anyway (free wifi is barely a thing).

The OP never actually said they were looking for offline maps :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement