Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I have just purchased a 6tb external drive and connected it to my nvidia sheild.

This one to be exact https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Desktop-External-Creative-Photography/dp/B01IAD5ZEE/ref=sr_1_20?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1522674879&sr=1-20&keywords=external+hard+drives

Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar. Have they a recommended setup?

Anyone access theirs remotely also?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

How does it compare to Perfect Player which is what I currently use?

Night and day dude.
    Tried to get STB emu up n running on the shield no joy, drove me demented,advice I got was for loading it onto a firestick,but not a hope for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Tried to get STB emu up n running on the shield no joy, drove me demented,advice I got was for loading it onto a firestick,but not a hope for me

Did you change to a random Mac address and add this Mac address to on your providers client area

STB EMU Pro worked easily enough for me. So it's not a shield issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I'm setting up Plex Server on my Shield and would like to know how to set it so it automatically launches when the device powers up? I've already figures out how to make sure the device doesn't go to sleep (and lose connection to my NAS) thus rendering Plex useless if I'm trying to remotely connect but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make sure Plex Media Server automatically launches if the device is rebooted.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm setting up Plex Server on my Shield and would like to know how to set it so it automatically launches when the device powers up? I've already figures out how to make sure the device doesn't go to sleep (and lose connection to my NAS) thus rendering Plex useless if I'm trying to remotely connect but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make sure Plex Media Server automatically launches if the device is rebooted.

Any suggestions?

Is it also possible to have Plex auto download content to your NAS? Any idea how that's setup?

Did you change to a random Mac address and add this Mac address to on your providers client area
    Yeah,one on the system,then contacted a guy,who walked me through it, still no joy(he was an iptv reseller) still no joy, waiting on URLs for perfect player (installed) I'd no problems with that first day myself

Yeah,one on the system,then contacted a guy,who walked me through it, still no joy(he was an iptv reseller) still no joy, waiting on URLs for perfect player (installed) I'd no problems with that first day myself,and thanks

Yeah,one on the system,then contacted a guy,who walked me through it, still no joy(he was an iptv reseller) still no joy, waiting on URLs for perfect player (installed) I'd no problems with that first day myself,and thanks that's in Plex media settings,I presume,as in most Medi a players

Yeah,one on the system,then contacted a guy,who walked me through it, still no joy(he was an iptv reseller) still no joy, waiting on URLs for perfect player (installed) I'd no problems with that first day myself,and thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

I have my NAS mounted under the setting in Android and I dont have to set anything to not sleep, not sure what you are doing different.

My Plex Server is always on as well. I dont need to turn anything on when i wake the Shield up. And after a reboot.

Have you checked the Plex Server settings?

nedd wrote: »
    I have my NAS mounted under the setting in Android and I dont have to set anything to not sleep, not sure what you are doing different.

My Plex Server is always on as well. I dont need to turn anything on when i wake the Shield up. And after a reboot.

Have you checked the Plex Server settings?

Well I enabled Plex MEdia Server on the Shield then logged in via a browser to manage the set up but don't see anything in server settings related to auto startup at power up of the device or staying awake 24/7 so I enabled Developer Options in Settings and turned on the "Stay Awake" option. Maybe auto starting the Plex server is baked into the app so once you have enabled it on the Shield it will always run on startup until you disable the app??

The reason I went looking for a way to keep the device awake is that about 2 hours after I initially set up the server I tried to log into it from my phone and the phone app said the server wasn't online. As I hadn't touched the Shield since setting up the server I took it that the Shield had gone to sleep hence the search for a solution.

OmegaGene wrote: »

4 times
    We heard you the first time lol

Anyway I was linked to this guide for setting up ages ago and it works perfectly for my stb emu

https://youtu.be/ARhRhitpVbg
    Sorry on the phone in car, intermittent connection,so thought it wasn't uploaded

4 times

Anyway I was linked to this guide for setting up ages ago and it works perfectly for my stb emu

Sorry on the phone in car, intermittent connection,so thought it wasn't uploaded

4 times

Great you tube advice,I was given a different tutorial

Night and day dude.

You weren't wrong there Johnny!!

Just wish you could ditch/customise the green startup splashscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 intoDwest

I am thinking about buying a shield. Has anyone used any usb tuners on it to set it up as a free to air box for Saorview and freeview?

I want one box for everything, something that my wife can access RTE and BBC easily and something for me to mess with IPTV etc.
    I have an old VU+ Solo2 that has been brilliant for the last few years but I want more of a one stop shop.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers!

intoDwest wrote: »
    I am thinking about buying a shield. Has anyone used any usb tuners on it to set it up as a free to air box for Saorview and freeview?

I want one box for everything, something that my wife can access RTE and BBC easily and something for me to mess with IPTV etc.
    I have an old VU+ Solo2 that has been brilliant for the last few years but I want more of a one stop shop.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Might be totally wrong here bud,but think thats not possible,but any good IPTV will include what you're looking for u can pm me if u want, similar situation

cheers....I presume OmegaGene you meant a "plex" account?

That's what I would be thinking of using, live channels through plex. If you are speaking to that person again could you ask them what tuner they are using, if its a tuner for the Sky dish or a tuner for Saorview.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

Don't use Plex for any type of live tv, that's all I'm saying.

Can we please keep the IPTV chat to another thread or PM, before this one gets shutdown like the others? Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Connecting a USB Tuner to the shield is perfectly legal. All you would be getting is Freeview.

I dont know if this would get you the RTÉ channels though.

If anyone has experience of using a tuner with the Shield I would love some feed back, I have thought about giving it a lash a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thought about trying this as I have a Sony Play TV gathering dust at home. Must get around to it but only an issue if broadband goes down.

That’s what I was talking about earlier, the free to air options available on the shield and like I mentioned earlier a fella said he has plex premium and was getting irish and uk free to air/saorview
    Must do some googling to find out more info if plex is the way to go or another option is available

You sure he's doing this from Plex server on a Shield? I've not heard of anyone doing this and doubt it's possible. More like he has Plex server running on a Windows or Linux PC with with added tuners

I’m only going by what he said
    If it’s wrong then sorry

How about this set up ?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/how-add-live-tv-channels-nvidia-shield%3famp

You can add any Enigma 2 satellite box to your Lan and do the exact same

No more boxes for me
    If it’s not on the shield then I’m out

The HDHomeRun you suggested above is a box :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You can add any Enigma 2 satellite box to your Lan and do the exact same

100% a great option.
    I use 3 shields and stream freesat/saorview from my e2 receiver around the network.
    Couple of options available to get it done roo.
    1. Can add the ip address to the Vu+ Tuner plugin in kodi
    2. can share the preferred bouquet to your preferred iptv app.

It means that I can get HD performance on a wide range of channels rather than the adaptive PQ a lot of services offer and it keeps my satellite set up handy and accessible for any obscure european stuff I'm after.

banie01 wrote: »
    100% a great option.
    I use 3 shields and stream freesat/saorview from my e2 receiver around the network.
    Couple of options available to get it done roo.
    1. Can add the ip address to the Vu+ Tuner plugin in kodi
    2. can share the preferred bouquet to your preferred iptv app.

It means that I can get HD performance on a wide range of channels rather than the adaptive PQ a lot of services offer and it keeps my satellite set up handy and accessible for any obscure european stuff I'm after.

I have a shield and 2 Vu box's in the house. That's probably the best set up I could use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have a shield and 2 Vu box's in the house. That's probably the best set up I could use

I have 2 enigma2 boxes too and a shield. can I use the 2 enigma boxes with the shield

• Advertisement

I have 2 enigma2 boxes too and a shield. can I use the 2 enigma boxes with the shield

You are asking the wrong man, i have never really looked into it properly.

Advertisement