Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corkcuu

Aine 100 I bought on argos too and mine has the micros slot. Just popped it in last night. You'll need more memory so I'd go back in if I were you.
    When you set up the child's profile you go in to manage their profile and it's something like control subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

I got the 6inch one in argos, and Im a bit annoyed that there isint an sd slot in it. Also on their website it said it was 16gb but mine only has 8gb. It was €149. I only got it today. However the apps and books that you get for the year are great, and the device itself is nice. I have netflix on it for my daughter now, and I also put dropbox for any other videos she wants. Can I just ask about hiding the amazon videos. Do you just hide every single one individually (what i did) is there no way to hide the actual carousel category of videos? Thanks
    p.s im guessing this is a no, but does anyone know if you can put google play movies on it?
    Ta

I just had a Google, and I believe you can sideload apk's so I guess you can install Google Play

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

aine100 wrote: »
    I just had a Google, and I believe you can sideload apk's so I guess you can install Google Play

Unfortunately you can't share non-Amazon AppStore apps with the Kids Profile. So even if you have Google Play installed on it (I do) you cannot allow the kids to access any apps you download.

I tried getting around this by loading the APK onto the SDCard and sharing ES File Explorer with the Kids Profile so I could install while logged in as a child. This didn't work either because you have to enable apps from Unknown Sources in settings which, you guessed it, can't be done for a Kids Profile.

corkcuu wrote: »
    Aine 100 I bought on argos too and mine has the micros slot. Just popped it in last night. You'll need more memory so I'd go back in if I were you.
    When you set up the child's profile you go in to manage their profile and it's something like control subscription

Thanks corkcuu,
    that's just my luck, and our local argos doesn't have them now they are out of stock. I suspect I bought the older edition. I might ring them,thanks for the reply
    on second thought i might leave it, i have netflix on it and the free apps are great. I have dropbox on it for movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BurrenNRG

Hi Guys, trying to get two of these set up for Santa presents, really annoyed about the Geo IP address issues, contacted Amazon in advance of purchasing and they advised that all content would be ok here in Ireland.... so infuriating!

I need to hide as much of the 'unavailable' content as possible to stop my kids driving me mad with 'Why' & 'Why Not' - can anyone help?

Cheers
    NAt

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

BurrenNRG wrote: »
    Hi Guys, trying to get two of these set up for Santa presents, really annoyed about the Geo IP address issues, contacted Amazon in advance of purchasing and they advised that all content would be ok here in Ireland.... so infuriating!

I need to hide as much of the 'unavailable' content as possible to stop my kids driving me mad with 'Why' & 'Why Not' - can anyone help?

Cheers
    NAt

Go into the adult profile, then settings and profiles& family library, then select the child's account then remove content, remove unwanted for for kids unlimited items, remove by hand and flaky drop down to videos and select all videos. You have to do it one by one, just remember they could add new content. You could enable the web browser, lot of videos there without Geo restrictions. Pm me if you want to know anything

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't share non-Amazon AppStore apps with the Kids Profile. So even if you have Google Play installed on it (I do) you cannot allow the kids to access any apps you download.

I tried getting around this by loading the APK onto the SDCard and sharing ES File Explorer with the Kids Profile so I could install while logged in as a child. This didn't work either because you have to enable apps from Unknown Sources in settings which, you guessed it, can't be done for a Kids Profile.

So I've figured out how to get 3rd Party apps onto a Kids profile.

The first thing you need to do is get Google Play set up on the parents profile. You can see how to do this here (It's a long article but it's simple enough to do).

Then download GoToApp from the Amazon AppStore and share it with the Kid profile.

Once that's done, login as a child and open GoToApp. Tap Google Play and sign in. Now you have access to all the Google Play apps (Youtube Kids!). Install them and use GoToApp to open them.

A final, optional step, is to clean up GoToApp to make it easier for a child to use. Go to the folder part of GoToApp's settings. Once you're there select all the folders and delete them. Create a new folder with all the apps you want available and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Cheers bertie4evr - I bought 2, one for my own son and one for someone in work.. I tried setting up my own one - got the 4 services installed that the script would of done, didn't end up working for me. Thankfully I came across this post yesterday and had it all sorted for this morning.

Already sending back the workmates one though as I had no confidence I'd have it working in time for them for Christmas...

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I was wondering would it be worth changing my location at a router setting? It could be easy to do. What would I need to do, in a general sense? Would the net be too slow then to view the vids...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 corkcuu

Well santa brought the fire, it was set up with apps books, but do these need to download regularly? I assume it should only be once but yesterday books were there, today it needs to download them when I try to open. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just s heads up there's an issue with the Chargers and Amazon are offering a replacement or £12 credit.
    Check your inboxes

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Can I ask if you are happy with your Kids Fire edition after the year or so (despite the workarounds required above)? Santa might deliver to 8 and 7 year old girls. Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Brenner65 wrote: »
    Can I ask if you are happy with your Kids Fire
    Brenner, I would say go for it. My 3 and 5 year old love theirs. The free apps are great. Its a pity the vids don't work without a workaround, but there is more than enough content. Wait until the black friday/cyber monday sale, I'd say that is when you will get it cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

I returned mine.. too much hassle since its not designed for Ireland it will break your heart..

The free apps and YouTube Kids are all we need. For that it works great. I used the parental controls to just hide videos altogether. They don't know they're there to miss them.

The "Worry-Free Guarantee" is amazing! Two years of free replacements. Amazon have replaced ours, free of charge, twice because the charging port keeps coming loose. No matter how much you tell them to be careful with it. It's now handed up at the end of the day to be charged!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

bertie4evr wrote: »
    So I've figured out how to get 3rd Party apps onto a Kids profile.

The first thing you need to do is get Google Play set up on the parents profile. You can see how to do this here (It's a long article but it's simple enough to do).

Then download GoToApp from the Amazon AppStore and share it with the Kid profile.

Once that's done, login as a child and open GoToApp. Tap Google Play and sign in. Now you have access to all the Google Play apps (Youtube Kids!). Install them and use GoToApp to open them.

A final, optional step, is to clean up GoToApp to make it easier for a child to use. Go to the folder part of GoToApp's settings. Once you're there select all the folders and delete them. Create a new folder with all the apps you want available and you're done.

Hi Bertie I'm having trouble with this. Play Store is on the device and GoToApp is in the Kid profile, but when I go through it play store isn't there. Would it be because I logged in to Play from the adult profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just a heads-up. £20 off them currently on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Contemplating buying 2 of these for christmas. The whole subscription things is putting me off them. What happens if you decide not to continue with the subscription thing?

garden wrote: »
    Contemplating buying 2 of these for christmas. The whole subscription things is putting me off them. What happens if you decide not to continue with the subscription thing?

I assume you only lose access to the Amazon Kids apps. Anything you install yourself and allow for the kids should be still there. To continue the subscription it's something like £3.99 per month or £7.99 for up to 4 children.

I bought 3 of them yesterday. 25% off. Black Friday last year had 30% off so it might be worth waiting another few weeks. I decided to buy yesterday so I have plenty of time to figure it all out before Christmas.

• Advertisement

I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting these setup.

Couldn't get the kids subscription last night so changed my address to ParcelMotel and had to migrate my kindle settings from Amazon.com to Amazon.co.uk. I did a factory reset on the Fire and started from scratch and now it just won't let me add a childs profile. Just keeps giving me an error saying "Error Adding Child".

Also tried on a different tablet (bought 3) and it's the same error.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Marcin Z

Have any of you tried Virtual Private Network (VPN) ? This should get you access to all videos etc.

I think this option doesn't involve rooting:
    https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/app-for-kindle-fire/

Involves rooting
    https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/5807/5-best-vpns-for-kindle-fire-and-kindle-fire-hd/

Blowheads wrote: »
    I returned mine.. too much hassle since its not designed for Ireland it will break your heart..

Really ?? My kids love it and there's absolutely no hassle with it.

Not designed for Ireland?? The only thing that doesn't work is the videos but I have a Netflix account so just downloaded that snf put it in kids profile, hey presto plenty of kids videos

garden wrote: »

Then it's just a normal fire tablet but still very useable.

Also the 2 year warranty is great, one if the kids smashed the screen and there was a replacement in the post within 5 minutes

ted1 wrote: »
    Really ?? My kids love it and there's absolutely no hassle with it.

Not designed for Ireland?? The only thing that doesn't work is the videos but I have a Netflix account so just downloaded that snf put it in kids profile, hey presto plenty of kids videos

Getting close to returning my 3. Cannot create a child's profile on any of them. I suspect it's some sort of account issue and even though I set address to UK and location etc in the set timezone screen it's still defaulting to Ireland so picking up the geo location somewhere.

On the phone to Amazon support now for the last hour and a half......!

I presume others set their default address in the Amazon (website) account to ParcelMotel?

All sorted now. Turns out there was an issue with the Fire Kids app or with their servers so I couldn't add profiles. Amazon fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

So what exactly is the advantage of these over a regular Android tablet?

So what exactly is the advantage of these over a regular Android tablet?

2 year no questions asked guarantee. If my kids throw it from the top of the stairs and break it, Amazon will replace it. (I've seen my iPad getting thrown down the stairs)

The kids bumper case. Feels nice in the hand and much easier for the kids to hold. I bought an additional purple bumper case off Amazon just so the girls tablets can be told apart.

The simplified kids user interface with parental restrictions so they can't get into the adults profile or change any settings

1 year subscription to Amazon for Kids (£4 per month thereafter or £8 for up to 4 children I think). A ton of books, apps and games. There's also video but that's geo restricted in Ireland. That doesn't bother me as I'll let them use Netflix maybe. Or stream media stored on my local network but yet to find a media player the kids could use (Emby, Plex & Kodi a bit too complicated for the young ones).

Anyone figured out how to get YouTube Kids on these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Agree with all of the above. They are a no brainer, but can be troublesome setting up. A sticky might help. One issue that I couldn't resolve was apps constantly trying to re-install. I never sorted it, but it seemed to disappear. The free apps is gift. Before I bought a second one, I had to replicate some apps that my other child wanted on the iPad, 5.99 per app. FREE on the Kindle. I have a Kids profile setup on Netflix and Plex that they use for Video, this and YouTube and they are sorted for Video. These things are far from flawless, but worth every penny. A Godsend on a plane, abroad etc.

Advertisement