Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

theothernt wrote: »
    That's the best news for developers - we can now use all that data (officially!) to make our own transport times apps :)

The NTA offer free use of APIs for the journey planner and real time. I got a username and password by emailing passengerinfo@nationaltransport.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aerize Explorer

Finally a free file explorer that works! Get it while it is still free!!!

Must have 8.1 installed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not showing up in the store for me.

Just clicked my link and it's working fine for me. I actually searched for it in the store on my phone and downloaded it that way. Just checked it now and it's still there. Type in "aerize" in the search and it comes up as the last item on the list. Did you make sure you spelled it correctly if you tried that? :)

Wasn't showing up when I searched the store, followed the link and I nowhere the notice saying not available for the device based on country/region!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

Vieather is a pretty good looking weather app. Definitely give it a go

kmart6 wrote: »
    Wasn't showing up when I searched the store

Try again, type slowly :p

Did you read the rest of my post?!

Did you read the rest of my post?!

The first bit of your post was more important. Try again on your phone in the store. It is there!

I searched the store on my phone. It is there by following your link! Revert back to post #96 for the rest of the issue.

• Advertisement

Don't follow my link. Click on the store app on your phone, then type in "aerize" in the search. It really is there :)

And on that note I'm done since you don't seem to be able to read or take in what I'm typing!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Waze is finally available for WP8

The last Maps App you will ever need

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/waze/f07f83eb-a8a4-49fd-8946-c67a9349e062

And on that note I'm done since you don't seem to be able to read or take in what I'm typing!

Sigh. The country / region non availability error is common. Bypass it by searching from the store on your phone

If you can't do it (by following my simple instructions), then it seems you're not smart enough to own a smartphone :p

Your loss dude, that file explorer is working well

Wow, questioning someones intelligence on the internet and then trying to hide behind an emoticon, how very mature of you.

I clearly stated that I searched the store on my phone and it is not there. You should take that on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Wow, questioning someones intelligence on the internet and then trying to hide behind an emoticon, how very mature of you.

I clearly stated that I searched the store on my phone and it is not there. You should take that on board.

Try this link to the Irish store... http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/aerize-explorer/f18c01a2-716a-4b7e-8a26-43bbc18da986

If it doesn't work, then I'd try again in a few hours.

(you're not missing much, a million 'File Manager' apps are bound to appear for 8.1 and all they can do is a) browse the photo library and b) the memory card)

Thanks, but that still gives the not available notice.

Yeah not too bothered really, just wanted to see what the interface was like!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

It's an annoying issue that happens from time to time, it usually means the app is new and hasn't been pushed to all the servers world-wide yet.

you're not missing much, a million 'File Manager' apps are bound to appear for 8.1

Maybe. For months it was said that a file manager would be built into 8.1. Didn't happen though, did it?
    all they can do is a) browse the photo library

A bit more than that. I use it to store files in the downloads directory of the phone and in the file manager app these files can all be opened directly too.
    It's an annoying issue that happens from time to time, it usually means the app is new and hasn't been pushed to all the servers world-wide yet.

The app is new alright. Only works with 8.1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Link worked fine for me, just check local store...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Overheal wrote: »
    Waze is finally available for WP8

The last Maps App you will ever need

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/waze/f07f83eb-a8a4-49fd-8946-c67a9349e062

I've heard that before!
    What makes this one so special?

I've heard that before!
    What makes this one so special?

Crowd-sourced data, alerts from drivers ahead of you about accidents, police, traffic congestion, etc.

Also if roads are missing on the map or not correctly displayed users can edit the map on their website (with various layers of restriction)

To give you an idea, I went somewhere on a 2 hour drive a couple weeks ago. I put the address in, and right before I click GO I already know there's 20-some events on my drive (abandoned vehicles, potholes, etc) plus one major accident, with congestion backing up behind it. Police shut down the Interstate because a bus crashed into a tree (no fatalities) and diverted traffic around. The app was able to show me the traffic build-up on the detour road and by detouring around a detour, unlike other drivers in our group, I made it there 2 hours ahead of them.

Uses up relatively little data as well.

You're in the States though yeah?

You're in the States though yeah?

Works internationally. Checking the global map theres tons of activity on it in the UK and mainland Europe, Ireland just requires more users picking it up and using it. The more people on, the more intelligent it is. The maps are the most up to date you'll find. Especially for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sounds great. Will give it a go, contribute to the collective atleast.

Overheal wrote: »
    Works internationally.

Oh yeah I know that, just obviously the user base is largely over there so where as it's a fantastic app for you it's unfortunately of no real benefit currently here, hell the pumps.ie sites/apps couldn't be kept up to date here. As you say, more users = better app.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

bidiots wrote: »
    I installed this yesterday and since then, my battery drained like a bloody sieve, missed my alarm this morning because of it :(

Must be one hell of a drain bug in it somewhere, all ok now since I uninstalled it...

I see they have patched this in the latest update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

delos wrote: »
    I see they have patched this in the latest update :)

Well I didn't get a thank you email:mad:

Oh yeah I know that, just obviously the user base is largely over there so where as it's a fantastic app for you it's unfortunately of no real benefit currently here, hell the pumps.ie sites/apps couldn't be kept up to date here. As you say, more users = better app.

Well waze doesn't offer much in the way of user incentive aside from the fact that you are fed the same data as everyone else and your data is itself used to better the network. Gasbuddy meanwhile gives users points for reporting gas prices and those points can be used on gas-card raffles. Because who doesn't like free gas?

Either way it's one of those things where it just takes a bit of user uptake and the system really gets rolling. There is every indication it would work well in Ireland, just requires people to get the word out. In fact I might post a link in Commuting and Transport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I like this battery app. You can set it so the tile changes colour to reflect battery state

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=5dceaa39-8477-43f2-8499-91e816767517

Advertisement