Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

tharmor wrote: »
    Anyone able to watch BBC iplayer on chromecast using the app ?

I'm not anyway, you need to mess around with your router which I can't be bothered to do.

Theres a good explanation of why you can't easily watch via Chromecast HERE on Reddit. Discussion of bypassing regional blocking isn't allowed here either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

jozi wrote: »
    Sort of. There are apps which you can download for movies, the app then uses something like allcast or toaster cast to play it on the tv. Orbyou can cast music or movies stored on the phone

or on any local Laptop or Server with media files, using Allcast (needs paid version) or Bubble UPnP, the free version of this is adaquate........and you can also cast stuff from Google+ and Google Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

tharmor wrote: »
    Anyone able to watch BBC iplayer on chromecast using the app ?

Yes....not sure how much more can be said, perhaps check out Smart DNS providers.

There will be instructions, your router will be involved if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Or watch it using the screen mirroring functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Does anyone find that the conenction to the router can be a bit iffy? I also sometimes cant connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I have found that I have to turn up the power on the WiFi (Mikrotik) to get it to work but that could be a local problem, however the other devices on the WiFi work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I find the wifi connection definitely iffy, mine won't play ball at all reliably unless I have my wifi extender plugged in.

You can root your chromecast now too if you're so inclined. It would allow some messing around with settings.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/root-hubcap-chromecast-root-release-t2855893

Pyro boy posted about it in another thread and said he'd report back if successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What advantage is there to rooting the chromecast?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What advantage is there to rooting the chromecast?

Changing the dns on it if you can't change it on your router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Casting XBMC to Chromecast looks like just what the doctor ordered! - This may entice me to go and get one (and the current price of €29 helps too!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci0e5guw71A

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Quick question,

Can I use Chromecast to extend my desktop display? as in use my TV as a second monitor when I'm on my Laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭droidman123

Quick question,

Can I use Chromecast to extend my desktop display? as in use my TV as a second monitor when I'm on my Laptop?

Yes you can,but you must be on chrome browser and get the cast extension.it works perfectly.

Yes you can,but you must be on chrome browser and get the cast extension.it works perfectly.

Awesome, I've been looking for this feature in any device for years

"You can also cast any of your tabs in Chrome to your TV, letting you enjoy sites, photos, or even video from the best screen in your home. Note that this feature is still in beta, and requires a fast computer and Wi-Fi network."

I will be purchasing Chromecast later for this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

"You can also cast any of your tabs in Chrome to your TV, letting you enjoy sites, photos, or even video from the best screen in your home. Note that this feature is still in beta, and requires a fast computer and Wi-Fi network."

I will be purchasing Chromecast later for this

It is a bit hit and miss currently. My laptop is reasonably fast (4gb ram), and the cast tab feature is far from the smooth experience that casting from a phone or tablet is.

However, it being Beta and all, this is bound to improve in time

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It is a bit hit and miss currently. My laptop is reasonably fast (4gb ram), and the cast tab feature is far from the smooth experience that casting from a phone or tablet is.

However, it being Beta and all, this is bound to improve in time

Thanks, I'd have a pretty powerful laptop, I7, 8 GB ram so I'd hope I'd have no problems in that regard.

Hopefully any issues will be sorted past beta versions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have chromecasts on 3 tvs in my house now. Those in conjunction with Plex means I can now watch/listen to all of my media anywhere I want to and control it all from my phone...bloody brilliant.

Ludo wrote: »
    I have chromecasts on 3 tvs in my house now. Those in conjunction with Plex means I can now watch/listen to all of my media anywhere I want to and control it all from my phone...bloody brilliant.

Can you expand on how to set these up to play music/movies from a central location (such as NAS) or have you some other type of set up? If I could play files from a NAS to one of these it would be great

Can you expand on how to set these up to play music/movies from a central location (such as NAS) or have you some other type of set up? If I could play files from a NAS to one of these it would be great

Well I just store everything on a laptop (big enough hard drive for now) and it acts as the plex media server. I don't have a NAS but list of Plex supported ones here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit

I can play from the laptop itself via a web browser or the Plex app on android devices also connects to this server and can play on the device itself or cast it to any chromecast it sees It was trivial to set up to be honest and I got the app for 50p in a sale on amazon (3 quid normally).

Only minor issue is having to have the laptop on but that is really minor as it is on nearly all the time anyway. The kids (6 years old) are even using it now to watch their cartoons on instead of the media player I used to use. The interface very nice looking yet simple to use.

It was very cheap to set up with one chromecast initially and see if it is worthwhile. I was considering getting a new media player at the time and chanced this instead...very happy with it obviously as I got 2 more chromecasts and the old media player hasnt been switched on since.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Well I just store everything on a laptop (big enough hard drive for now) and it acts as the plex media server. I don't have a NAS but list of Plex supported ones here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit

I can play from the laptop itself via a web browser or the Plex app on android devices also connects to this server and can play on the device itself or cast it to any chromecast it sees It was trivial to set up to be honest and I got the app for 50p in a sale on amazon (3 quid normally).

Only minor issue is having to have the laptop on but that is really minor as it is on nearly all the time anyway. The kids (6 years old) are even using it now to watch their cartoons on instead of the media player I used to use. The interface very nice looking yet simple to use.

It was very cheap to set up with one chromecast initially and see if it is worthwhile. I was considering getting a new media player at the time and chanced this instead...very happy with it obviously as I got 2 more chromecasts and the old media player hasnt been switched on since.

OK thanks
    So from what I gather the ideal set up may be as follows

Dedicated tablet (cheapo tab would do) with Plex app installed
    Chromecast in the TV
    Plex installed on a NAS (or a PC/Laptop etc)

Tablet will see the media stored on the Plex server and you can then cast from the tablet to the TV

Of course you could exclude the tablet if you just want to use your phone etc but I dont allow the kids to have my phone and they dont have their own yet

Yep....that is exactly what I have. Tis very simple. Tablet and phone both have the app...like you say, kids use the tablet rather than the phone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

You cast from the media server to the TV. Not the tablet.

dregin wrote: »

You can "cast" the media on the pc to the tablet if you want from the phone.

i.e.
    movie sitting on pc hard drive which is the plex media server. Use the phone to browse your plex library from the pc...from the phone cast it to the tablet so it actually plays there. Not sure why you would want to do it but you can if you want to so it is not just to the tv.

One thin you dont appear to be able to do it cast from the laptop directly to the phone or tablet...they dont appear as players on the laptop. or vice versa. The phone and tablet can see each other as valid players to cast to as well as the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

has anyone here built an app for the Chromecast or investigated the SDK?

Would be interested to know as I would love to develop something for it and am wondering how different building an Android and Chromecast app are

FYI im not building an illegal app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think he may mean he wants the Chromecast to act as a second monitor as in a dual monitor setup, as opposed to just mirroring what's on one screen.

dregin wrote: »

You need an intermediary I would assume. The tablet is the media browser / remote control.

You have movies on a nas and the chromecast can't see that directly (or can it? Correct me if I'm wrong)
    So you need plex to serve the movie to the tablet and from there you cast the movie to the chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Does the Chromecast have to be unused to be rooted?

You need an intermediary I would assume. The tablet is the media browser / remote control.

You have movies on a nas and the chromecast can't see that directly (or can it? Correct me if I'm wrong)
    So you need plex to serve the movie to the tablet and from there you cast the movie to the chromecast.

The chromecast can see the NAS directly (in a way). In your scenario above once the movie starts playing on the chromecast, you can turn off the tablet...the chromecast is effectively streaming directly from the pc/nas. The tablet is now only a remote control in that scenario to set up the stream between the server and whatever player is showing it (be it a chromecast or another android device).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

dahat wrote: »
    Does the Chromecast have to be unused to be rooted?

Not with the latest hack, but the method needs a teensy device to root it.
    And as long as it hasn't updated past 17977 and is currently on that version or not update(unused out of the box)

See here

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Advertisement