Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built in Android SIP client question.

• 16-08-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I've a OnePlus 7T Pro with up to date Firmware etc.

I set up my Goldfish VOIP account in the built in Android SIP Accounts setting as from time to time I need/want to make "landline" calls from my SIP account rather than via my mobile number.

I therefore set "Use SIP calling" to "For all calls" so I'm given a choice when I go to dial a number as to whether the call is made via my mobile or SIP number . This option is presented as a pop up every time I go to make a call as a "Choose SIM for this call" option with my Vodafone sim number or my SIP account as the options to choose.

Previously the pop up always had an optional tick box which allowed me to set a default for the number I'm calling thus avoiding having to make the choice every time which was really handy as 95% of my calls are to numbers I can pre-set my preference to but that option seems to have disappeared altogether.

I could try installing a 3rd party SIP dialler for when I just want to make SIP calls but the problem I experienced with that in the past and the reason I want to stick with the built in Android SIP client is that when using a 3rd party SIP dialer I could still receive inbound mobile calls which disrupt the SIP call I'm trying to have as the phone rings etc.

Can someone give me a steer on solving this annoying problem?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

My understanding is that all 3rd party SIP apps are now using the shared voice ConnectionService which means essentially they are using the dialler anyway. Whether its normal 3G/4G calls, native SIP client or a 3rd party app the behaviours should be identical (in terms of call interruptions etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

slegs wrote: »
    My understanding is that all 3rd party SIP apps are now using the shared voice ConnectionService which means essentially they are using the dialler anyway. Whether its normal 3G/4G calls, native SIP client or a 3rd party app the behaviours should be identical (in terms of call interruptions etc).

Thanks Slegs, appreciate the input.

Does the highlighted piece mean inbound 3G/4G calls will or won't interrupt an ongoing VOIP call whether that call is being made via the built in SIP account or a 3rd party app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

54and56 wrote: »
    Thanks Slegs, appreciate the input.

Does the highlighted piece mean inbound 3G/4G calls will or won't interrupt an ongoing VOIP call whether that call is being made via the built in SIP account or a 3rd party app?

Yes if the app is built using the recommended libraries for voice calls. To be honest I’m more familiar with Callkit in IOS where I know this to be the case but I believe the same holds true in Android. The idea is that voice calls whether made natively or in a 3rd party app behave the same way e.g when screen is locked the call screen will show the same way whether a normal call or app call. Essentially the native phone functionality is just an app anyway built on the OS the same way a 3rd party app is built

Advertisement