Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media Box with HDMI & Optical output

Options
  • 10-01-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I had a seagate media box with optical out and HDMI, haven't used in in a while. (i bought it in Easons of all places)

I basically just loaded my media files onto it, and played them via the TV with the supplied remote.

I'm looking to upgrade, as it doesnt support some newer file formats.

Can anyone guide to whats out there, my Googling sends me down the route of KODI /Android type boxes, which is not what i'm shopping for.

But i'm looking for something that i can easily transfer media onto, Select the relevant input on the TV ie Hdmi3 , and use a remote to select and play the required media file.

Thoughts/ options

edit: the box i was using was a Seagate GoFlex Cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I am trying to solve the the same basic problem, I want to upgrade my home media setup.

I have a different setup from you, I have a NAS (LinkSYS NAS325 with twin 3TB drives) and Blu Ray players to watch the content on. The NAS and players are 7 years old and i want to upgrade.

Currently thinking of a "WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra" with twin 4TB drives, but cannot decide on what to use to watch the content. nVidia Shield TV is an option, but they a bit price. A cheaper Android TV box which support DLNA would be nice, but quality (and reviews) of different models are mixed and varied. I could built one out of a Raspberry Pi, but perhaps too techy for the rest of the household, so it might be more BluRay players.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Ok gents the box to get is the Nvidia Shield 2019 version its simply the best no questions asked.
    Trust me you won't retreat it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/26/nvidia-shield-tv-review-the-best-android-tv-box-with-brilliant-ai-upscaling

I have been using the Shield since the original version was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I have this, very fast, still getting to know it though...I would think a close competitor to the Nvidia, high end processor etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0865MZ5MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up with this one.. only €45.00

Come with "KD Player" which i replaced with a regular KODI install.

I have this, very fast, still getting to know it though...I would think a close competitor to the Nvidia, high end processor etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0865MZ5MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry but that box is junk no Netflix or Amazon in 1080p or 4K.
    Also no Dolby True HD or Atmos or DTS HD

• Advertisement

I ended up with this one.. only €45.00

Come with "KD Player" which i replaced with a regular KODI install.

Again this is a very basic box and will work fine if you are using something like iptv but if you want a true all in one high end streaming box with HD audio and 4K Netflix and Amazon it’s useless.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Again this is a very basic box and will work fine if you are using something like iptv

All i really want to to steam files from a NAS, and maybe some youtube.
    TCP/IP wrote: »
    but if you want a true all in one high end streaming box with HD audio and 4K Netflix and Amazon it’s useless.

Eventually i'll get the nVidia Shield..

Advertisement