Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindle

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The sterling/euro conversion plus postage and delivery amazon can work out more pricey but the product might be cheaper in the long run. I got mine in Argos but think I have to download my e-books through amazon.com rather than amazon.co.uk I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

doovdela wrote: »
    The sterling/euro conversion plus postage and delivery amazon can work out more pricey but the product might be cheaper in the long run. I got mine in Argos but think I have to download my e-books through amazon.com rather than amazon.co.uk I think.

You can choose which store you want to use, com/uk, but books that you have purchased on one store will not be available to download while you are 'logged in' to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

doovdela wrote: »

There would be no P+P on this as its over the £25 required for free postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Picked up a Kindle Paperwhite 3 from Amazon Warehouse deals during the week for £71. For those of you unaware of Amazon Warehouse deals, it's items that have been returned or refurbished & resold at a discount. I went for the "Used - Good" which states a generic "Minor cosmetic imperfection on the top, front or sides of the item".

When I received it, It was pretty much like brand new. Not a single blemish to be found anywhere on it. The only thing it was missing was the original packaging. Amazon had given me a plain brown box designed to hold it in it's place. I think the lack of a box is well worth the £50 saving :D

It was also meant to include the "Special Offers" aka the advertising across the screen but it's the one without :pac:

I've jailbroken it & added the Book Cover mod so whenever I turn off the Kindle, it now displays the front cover of whatever book I'm reading instead of the basic (but nice) wallpaper :)

So far I'm loving it! Haven't picked up a book in a long time & already I'm halfway through book 2 of The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have a 2013 paperwhite, I was wondering is it worth upgrading to a 2015 paperwhite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Vahevala wrote:
    I have a 2013 paperwhite, I was wondering is it worth upgrading to a 2015 paperwhite?

If you do decide to upgrade. 1 option would be trade in the 2013 version for the 2015 version for approx. 46euro and get a 2 year guarantee from CeX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Are their e-ink readers specifically for PDFs? My Nook reads them but performance is patchy as in font format and size changes by page, some don't open at all etc. I recall reading (maybe hRee) that Sony had an e-ink reader for PDFs. Don't want an LCD tablet because of battery and I prefer e-ink for reading long texts. Calibre doesn't do a very good automatic job at converting PDFs

Ageyev wrote: »
    Are their e-ink readers specifically for PDFs? My Nook reads them but performance is patchy as in font format and size changes by page, some don't open at all etc. I recall reading (maybe hRee) that Sony had an e-ink reader for PDFs. Don't want an LCD tablet because of battery and I prefer e-ink for reading long texts. Calibre doesn't do a very good automatic job at converting PDFs

Kindle supports PDF format natively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lols5

Hi,

I'm looking for help in downloading an update for my Kindle. I missed the date recommended on a message I got on my kindle so tried to download it manually. When I downloaded it on my computer I could not open the download as my computer did not have the software required. Can anyone help with perhaps a compatible software I need or what i do to get my kindle working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 logansmith047

I have the same concern too. But seems like those website have a cheaper price. Don't know what to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Lols5 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for help in downloading an update for my Kindle. I missed the date recommended on a message I got on my kindle so tried to download it manually. When I downloaded it on my computer I could not open the download as my computer did not have the software required. Can anyone help with perhaps a compatible software I need or what i do to get my kindle working again.

You don't need to open it on your computer, connect the Kindle in USB mode and drag/copy and paste the downloaded file from your PC to the Kindle.
    Make sure you use the next update current to the version on your Kindle. I had to download 4 updates recently to an old Kindle, working perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Santy (God bless him) delivered a Kindle Paperwhite 2018. It will be brought travelling and probably end up getting stuffed into luggage, etc. so a cover is probably advisable. What do people here, especially owners of Paperwhites, recommend? I'm looking for something that represents best compromise between cost and function i.e. don't want the cheapest if it is not up to the job, but don't want to pay £50 if a £15-£20 cover will do the same job. Looks are not that important, though having said that I don't mind paying a little extra to avoid a cheap plastic look?

I have searched this thread and read previous posts re covers, but I am looking for the most current information.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

tmh106 wrote: »
    Santy (God bless him) delivered a Kindle Paperwhite 2018. It will be brought travelling and probably end up getting stuffed into luggage, etc. so a cover is probably advisable. What do people here, especially owners of Paperwhites, recommend? I'm looking for something that represents best compromise between cost and function i.e. don't want the cheapest if it is not up to the job, but don't want to pay £50 if a £15-£20 cover will do the same job. Looks are not that important, though having said that I don't mind paying a little extra to avoid a cheap plastic look?

I have searched this thread and read previous posts re covers, but I am looking for the most current information.

Thanks

I got a nice non plastic sleeve with a zip on adverts. A few on there, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hello all. I use the kindle paperwhite. I love it, on Black Friday I upgraded to the paperwhite from the original model.

I’d love to have the front page of the book cover I’m reading as the screensaver. Does anyone know if this is possible please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tmh106 wrote: »

Thanks
    I got the previous version of this case for my pre 2018 paperwhite. Barely adds any size or weight to it, but is a solid enough front to it that I can fling it around in my bags a bit without too much worry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JYVJY3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DUOkCbANYSZTQ

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I want to get Kindle only to read books. What's the current version should I go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Recommend the kindle paperwhite if you're just going for books. I've the kindle fire also which is more suitable for magazines, newspapers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Hi,

Has anyone ever been able to gift an ebook to someone on Amazon UK. It tells me there is an issue with my location and to contact them. When I do the person on the chat box says you cannot buy ebooks in Ireland unless you have a UK address and card.

Which I pointed out was incorrect.

And then they asked me to buy a gift card instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bumping the thread in case there's others like me who has an older Kindle and couldn't really justify to themselves buying another. Amazon have released the "All new" Kindle. Comes with a built in light but is just under £70, ad supported. Reviews are good so it was enough to persuade me abandon my keyboard version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FQ473ZZ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I have an old keyboard one. Won't charge at the moment and I can't seem to reset it.

I've seen people on the bus with something like the one you've linked to. How would the light be at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

I have the 2018 paperwhite so a slightly different model. The 'all new' kindle does not seem very different except for resolution. So I presume the light is adjustable. You can read at night no problem and can turn it down if you don't want to disturb your partner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've seen people on the bus with something like the one you've linked to. How would the light be at night?

It's great. You can adjust it from burning your eyes out to barely being there. In fact my wife ended up taking mine as she liked it so much and I ended up buying a Paperwhite during the Prime Members promotion a couple of months ago for myself. The difference between the 2 is minimum I think, the Paperwhite has a nicer feel to it but in terms of reading it's not something you'd notice unless whatever you're reading has diagrams and the likes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Bump. Just bought a second hand kindle paperwhite 2018. My first kindle. I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I still have my kindle tied to amazon.com.

Should I move it to amazon.uk ?

Any advantages and disadvantages?

I'm located in Ireland.

Advertisement