Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citylink re-open Galway-Limerick-Cork bus route

• 09-02-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Citylink have re-opened their Galway-Limerick-Cork bus route except now it goes on to UCC and Cork Airport. 90 mins from Galway-Limerick.

Timetable:
    http://www.citylink.ie/timetable-galw2cork.htm

http://www.citylink.ie/medrel_9.htm
    04/02/09)

Irish Citylink re-commences Cork – Galway Route

Following many appeals from passengers, Citylink Ireland are planning to re-commence scheduled Coach services between Galway City and Cork City from Wednesday 4th February 09, three months after they suspended operations on this route.

The number of daily services to operate daily will be reduced from 13 to 8 but will offer through access, for the first time ever, to Cork Airport. Some of the revised scheduled services will suit commuters who prefer to have an early start to their journey, while the other service times are designed to suit normal inter-City passengers. All will have the added advantage of a significant reduction in journey time.

Citylink Ireland were always conscious, and greatly appreciative, of the support they received from the travelling Public throughout the West and South of Ireland and are pleased to have received approval from the Department of Transport for the re-commencement of services on this route. We look forward to rewarding that support by offering a high class safe and comfortable passenger facility.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone know why they stopped for a few months, and then re-started? Sounds to me like the perfect way to lose customer loyalty.

Impressive though, 3.5 hours from Galway to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

AFAIK, they closed the route because they were losing money on it. Why it took them til now to figure out that maybe running fewer services would be a more sensible approach, I don't know.

Glad that it's back though, beats Bus Eireann into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    AFAIK, they closed the route because they were losing money on it. Why it took them til now to figure out that maybe running fewer services would be a more sensible approach, I don't know.

Glad that it's back though, beats Bus Eireann into the ground.

Not unless you live in Bunratty or Ennis, which they no longer serve.

The closed the route because DoT withdrew a fuel tax rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Ah didn't notice that they'd dropped those stops. Makes no bones to me, to be honest, I'd always be going to Limerick, but annoying for anyone in those places alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

So theyre bypassing Ennis? ah crap for me:-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

So theyre bypassing Ennis? ah crap for me:-(

I think this is a great idea. Bus Éireann already has an hourly service to Ennis.
    This knocks over an hour off the journey, which is a god send if you go need to go to Cork regularly like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

nice one I go down to Limerick alot so this is good for me! I was on the website there does anyone know the prices to Limerick by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I took this from Limerick to Galway on Thursday night, was the only one on the bus but it was great skipping Ennis and Shannon! I'm dead glad it is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think that trains from Galway to Limerick on the Western Rail Corridor (when it opens) will be slower than the City Link services. Crazy really and the train will probably be more expensive..

I could well start using Cork Airport from time-to-time with the introduction of this bus service. I fly from Dublin or Shannon to England usually - never considered Cork because no buses and 4 hrs 25 mins on Bus Eireann to Cork City + a taxi journey to the Airport.

City Link will do Galway to Cork Airport in 3 hrs 30 mins. I regularly take the bus to Dublin Airport and that takes 3 hrs 15 mins. Only a 15 minute difference so flying from Cork is definitely a possibility for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

KevR wrote: »
    I think that trains from Galway to Limerick on the Western Rail Corridor (when it opens) will be slower than the City Link services. Crazy really and the train will probably be more expensive..

I could well start using Cork Airport from time-to-time with the introduction of this bus service. I fly from Dublin or Shannon to England usually - never considered Cork because no buses and 4 hrs 25 mins on Bus Eireann to Cork City + a taxi journey to the Airport.

City Link will do Galway to Cork Airport in 3 hrs 30 mins. I regularly take the bus to Dublin Airport and that takes 3 hrs 15 mins. Only a 15 minute difference so flying from Cork is definitely a possibility for me now.

I have read the train will probably be 1 hour 45 mins from Limerick-Galway so Citylink will definitely be quicker and knowing IE the train will probably be expensive. Pity they could'nt do a proper job on the rail route as opposed to a crappy re-lay.

defo worth checking out flights from Cork Airport now with the Citylink route as there aint much difference compared to going to Dublin. Less stress than going through Dublin airport too. Keep in mind flights from Shannon though, always cheap from there to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I just wish City Link went to Sligo - then I could stop giving Bus Eireann any of my money altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Tadhg17 wrote: »
    Keep in mind flights from Shannon though, always cheap from there to the UK.

I always try and get Shannon over Dublin. The trouble a lot of the time is I only go to England on a day trip. It's difficult getting flights over and back on the same day from Shannon (unless you're going to London). Can always get day return flights from Dublin to the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc.

Will definitely be looking into Cork though.

PS - Ryanair are cutting flights from Shannon soon so it will be even harder to get viable day returns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Xiney wrote: »
    I just wish City Link went to Sligo - then I could stop giving Bus Eireann any of my money altogether.

There are other providers namely Feda O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Great stuff, and bypassing Ennis? Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

toiletduck wrote: »
    Great stuff, and bypassing Ennis? Sweet.

Yes, Citylink are bypassing Ennis. Galway-Limerick in 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

snubbleste wrote: »
    There are other providers namely Feda O'Donnell

Oh yeah, forgot about them

What about Ballina? Does someone else go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Don't Callanan's do Sligo too?

Advertisement