Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resources: Comic shops, webcomics, and useful links

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AirComics

Dear all,

Today, I would like to present you a new concept that I and some friends developed exclusively for collectors: swapey! (administrator: please don't delete this thread. swapey is completely free of charge and this is no commercial. It is a free tool for collectors).

www.swapey.com/Comics

swapey is a free portal that enables its members to exhibit their own collections in their own virtual museum, and thus present them to a global audience. Members get the opportunity to access a worldwide network of likeminded collectors. Discover new treasures every day, expand your global collector network and discuss interesting topics with other swapey members.

MUSEUM
    You can show your collection in 4 different museum halls:

(1) Exhibition-Hall: for items you only want to show to other collectors, but not trade or sell
    (2) Swap-Market-Hall: for items you would like to trade against other interesting items. Members can contact you and offer you their items for trade.
    (3) Research-Hall: for items you would like to learn more about from other collectors
    (4) Private-Hall: for items you only want to show your friends but nobody else

FORUM
    Every item has its own mini discussion forum attached to it. At the moment the forum allows only text, but in the upcoming release it will also be possible to add photos and other files.

RATING
    You can rate items with 1-5 stars. The purpose of this feature is to separate very rare and interesting items from more common items (which are of course also wellcome on swapey). Members can then search for items with the highest number of stars.

DEMO
    A short demo explains the concept to you (you need flash-player for it):

DEMO

COMMUNITY
    Also, since we go online only today, there are just a few dozen items in the swapey museum yet. In order that swapey becomes a success for all collectors we depend on you. With every item you upload you make swapey more interesting for other members and vice versa. Please share your collection and passion!

The success of swapey is based on the size of the community that actively uses swapey. For this reason you, as a member, will also benefit from every new member. You can help by recommending swapey to your friends.

CATEGORIES
    There will be other collectibles categories on swapey in the future. In order that you only see Comics you can access swapey via http://www.swapey.com/Comics. But of course you can also see all categories if you enter http://www.swapey.com

QUESTIONS
    If you have any questions, remarks or suggestions please don’t hesitate to contact us at info@swapey.com

FEEDBACK
    We need your feedback in order to improve the concept. Do you like this idea? What would you do differently?

We do hope that we can soon welcome you at swapey and that you get into touch with many new collectors and that you may even find a thrilling item for your own collection at swapey! Welcome to swapey!

Best regards
    AirComics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Your website appears to be down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AirComics

Hello Wicknight,

Thanks for letting us know. We had not expected such a high number of visits in the first week and need to optimize the website performance in order that it runs smoothly again.

It should be OK again now. Please try again. We will improve the performance over the coming days so that this doesn't happen again in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

Roger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Anyone know this one?

http://www.untitledcomedy.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hugo Comics

Introducing … Hugo:
    <snip>
    Just click on the link below or paste in URL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hugo-Comics/21690571896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Any title in particular?
    Yeah, The Ice Wanderer & Other Stories, that and Doing Time.
    To be honest, I don't mind which of their titles ya get in, they're all interesting. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I know this is old news to y'all back home, I'm in Perth ya see, but I recently heard my beloved Third Place shut down a while back. I am so saddened to hear this, I hope the guys are doing well for themselves now, I see Bruno has landed on his feet anyway, what about the other guys?

Now when I come home I have to get my order from somewhere else!! DAMN!!

Just wanted to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Hi all...

Just wanted to start something where anyone who has found a good printer can put a link to them... This would be a POD, or just a shop in any Irish City that has good printing costs.

Long Stone is printing our own because we have someone helping us. Not everyone is so lucky. So can we share the info for those who want to start getting their work printed but don't know where to go...

Just a thought...
    Stephen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, I've spent longer than bears thinking about going through the thread and sorting out all the links and information to get it all in the first post again. It occurs to me that while there are a few tutorials there, it would be nice to have more tutorials and resource sites there. Also, if anyone has any other freeware or open-source graphics tools, please post 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote: »
    Right, I've spent longer than bears thinking about going through the thread and sorting out all the links and information to get it all in the first post again. It occurs to me that while there are a few tutorials there, it would be nice to have more tutorials and resource sites there. Also, if anyone has any other freeware or open-source graphics tools, please post 'em up.

lol must have taken you ages Fysh. Here's a few links I hope will be of use to some sorry if I repeat something you've already linked:

Printing and Graphic terms A list/glossary of common print terms - learning the difference between trim and bleed is very important when getting ready to publish your own stuff.

Talas - sells book binding equipment

New Porker Russian PDF magazine featuring some really interesting comic work.

Busy Beaver Buttons if you want to get badges made up for cons. Have used these guys a bunch of times and always happy with the end result.

Little Devil buttons also makes badges

Dick Blick one of the largest online art stores

copper step by step step by step process by Kazu Kibuishi

toby craig book assembly step by step comic assembly

Paper Source The site for all your paper needs. They also sell gocco kits and supplies.

creating comics resource site

Xeric grant you have to be living in the states to get it but still worth checking out what comics they have given it to.

the sicker guy Makes stickers

stick it to me buttons
    more badge makers

Akadot sells manga supplies including deleter nibs, brush pens and ink.

• Advertisement

Nathanual wrote:
    Hi all...

Just wanted to start something where anyone who has found a good printer can put a link to them... This would be a POD, or just a shop in any Irish City that has good printing costs.

Long Stone is printing our own because we have someone helping us. Not everyone is so lucky. So can we share the info for those who want to start getting their work printed but don't know where to go...

Just a thought...
    Stephen

while I understand the motivation behind this thread I should point out you might have a hard time getting some of the Irish indie press people to post on a public board about any good print deals they've managed to get. Its nothing to do with not wanting to share the information but rather that I know a few of them have given out that information before and had people be rude to the printers and stung them for payment and that reflects badly on the person who rec'd them.

This will most likely get mereged with the resources thread as I know the mods want to keep it all together and are working a revamping the whole resources stickies but I'll link to the three main comic PODs for the few people who might not be aware of them:

Comixpress is the main POD for comics - while not as big as the likes of Lulu, they do just focus on just comics unlike the aforementioned Lulu who offer all round printing. The quality of print and value for money with comixpress is pretty good - they are cheaper then lulu print wise but as they are based in New Jersey you might end up paying more for shipping depending where you live. The offer some good discount schemes - they hit most of the major indie shows in the states and give out money off coupons [which I have used for a decent chunk off printing] and they offer various advertising options. They also have an online store that you can sell your stuff through. The negatives to Comixpress is that they are slow and I mean really slow. Coming up to some of the big cons [esp coming up to June when you've MoCCA, Heros con and SDCC all coming one after the other or around september with SPX and now APE being very close together] you need to plan to make sure you get your stuff to them with plenty of time. They are very bad at responding to emails. If your printing something in colour you should get a proof copy [you should get a proof with any printer but more so with comixpress] While they can do good colour printing, they don't spot check the colours so you need to be super confident with the files you've sent to trust them to print correctly with out some sort of proof.

Kablam Like comixpress Kablam focus just on comics - they started pretty strong with alot of buzz about them at SPX two years ago. Their pricing is on par with Comixpress and the books I've seen printed from them look pretty decent. in the past couple of months thou I've heard some of the same issues people have with comixpress - very slow, don't reply to emails etc etc and a few of indie creators I know who switched to them went back to comixpress. They do offer some extras like flyers, mini posters, and t-shirts [coming soon]

Lulu are the big print on demand option - they cover pretty much everything not just comics. Cost wise they do work out bit more then comixpress but they offer better shipping rates and have a uk based office so might be the better option if your printing on this side of the atlantic. I've ordered books and printed with Lulu and for the most part found their work to be pretty decent - i think comixpress does a better print job but the difference between the two isn't massive and alot of times, I think, its down to the creator not understanding how to save the correct file rather then lulu printing it wrong. Their site can be a bit clunky to get around but a friend of mine who is useless on computers managed to print his comic with them so I guess its not that bad. There is small but noticable Lulu branding on their books that is optional but you have to really pay attention when printing to have them not add it. Their own reps when I asked them at a recent english con didn't know if it was optional or not. You can offer your stuff for digital download via lulu which I know is a big apeal for some people.

Now there are loads of other POD printers out there, like cafe press [whose work is rubbish], rapid [have only heard bad things about] and Dreamweaver [who stopped taking orders two years ago, said it would be temp but no sign of them starting again] but three above would be the most well known as far as indie press goes.

Just to clear up for a few people the different print options. POD's are always digital printers - they'd make no money doing litho printing for such small runs. The other type of printing is Litho or off set printing. Off-set printing is the main method of commerical printing. Its only worth looking into if your planning a big run. Quebecor would be the big litho printer for comics in north america.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Jamie Smart (author of Bear, Bodha Te, Ubu Bubu, Angry Little Robot, Space Raoul and the current Desperate Dan run) has recently started another webcomic : Whubble. I particularly like the latest installment (Technology Troubles) and may start using "sexy powers" as an explanation for how I fix things at work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Thanks for the links folks... will all be used....

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thebaddy

... has it's online shop up and running. You can now buy "Last Bus #1" and "The Linguistic Goat" from www.cardboardpress.com.

You can also buy Last Bus from on my own personal site - www.patrickl.net

Thanks guys.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

Aright guys & gals, Just wondering, does anyone know anywhere in & around Cork that stocks/can order Rue Morgue Magazine? It's akin to Fangoria, but a great deal better, my subscription has run out, and I can't buy the issues online, as I currently have no Credit card. Any ideas, guys?

fergisimo wrote: »
    Aright guys & gals, Just wondering, does anyone know anywhere in & around Cork that stocks/can order Rue Morgue Magazine? It's akin to Fangoria, but a great deal better, my subscription has run out, and I can't buy the issues online, as I currently have no Credit card. Any ideas, guys?

you might be better asking in the horror forum or better yet the Cork forum, I only know online shops which you'd need a credit card for.

Re: Rue Morgue - Other Realms may carry it, I can't remember off the top of my head, but they will probably order it in for you if you set up a standing order with them. I can't think of anywhere else likely to carry it tbh, but it would be worth posting in the Cork forum just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm going to ask Vibes & Scribes and some wholesalers anyway, I think. I asked in Other Realms before, and I was told it could take between 3 - 4 months (!!!) to get upto speed with the current issues.

Okay, I have a question about getting Forbidden Planet to order a particular manga. The manga in question is "God of Japanese Comics" Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack. It's being released commercially in a normal paperback edition, and a hardback edition that includes an exclusive story (that won't be published in the normal version), but it's limited to 1500 copies and has to be ordered through Diamond.
    Another guy on a forum mentioned filling out Diamond's Consumer Order Form and handing it in to a comic shop. So what I'm asking is, do Forbidden Planet/Sub City accept those forms or what?

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Okay, I have a question about getting Forbidden Planet to order a particular manga. The manga in question is "God of Japanese Comics" Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack. It's being released commercially in a normal paperback edition, and a hardback edition that includes an exclusive story (that won't be published in the normal version), but it's limited to 1500 copies and has to be ordered through Diamond.
    Another guy on a forum mentioned filling out Diamond's Consumer Order Form and handing it in to a comic shop. So what I'm asking is, do Forbidden Planet/Sub City accept those forms or what?

where did you read about the hardback edition? I thought it was vertical who were publishing all the volumes of Black Jack and they're stuff is normally distributed by Random House and not Diamond. :confused:

• Advertisement

Re: Diamond ordering - if you can find the solicitation code (normally of the form JUN081234) it ought to be possible to get Forbidden Planet or anyone else who regularly orders from Diamond, although whether they may be constrained by minimum order numbers is another matter...

ztoical wrote: »
    where did you read about the hardback edition? I thought it was vertical who were publishing all the volumes of Black Jack and they're stuff is normally distributed by Random House and not Diamond. :confused:

Well, on the Aug order form, both editions and another Vertical title are listed... I found out about the hc volumes through a Tezuka fansite, but Vertical have recently put up an article about em on their site as well...

Fysh wrote: »
    Re: Diamond ordering - if you can find the solicitation code (normally of the form JUN081234) it ought to be possible to get Forbidden Planet or anyone else who regularly orders from Diamond, although whether they may be constrained by minimum order numbers is another matter...

Well, the book is actually listed on the Aug form. Do I just need to print out the first page and the page with the book listed on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Are there any comic shops in Munster outside of Other Realms? Or any funny collectory stores like Hollywood Empire in Limerick used to be...

Are there any comic shops in Munster outside of Other Realms? Or any funny collectory stores like Hollywood Empire in Limerick used to be...

there is a comic shop in Limerick but off the top of my head I can't remember the name - I'll check with a friend who shops there and get a name and address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

ztoical wrote: »
    there is a comic shop in Limerick but off the top of my head I can't remember the name - I'll check with a friend who shops there and get a name and address.

Pretty sure that closed down and is now just a small corner in another shop.

Pretty sure that closed down and is now just a small corner in another shop.

Maybe it has, haven't been to limerick in years. Theres comixstop in waterford - check back in this thread for a map and directions.

For people in the Kilkenny theres a small comic and game shop after opening on high street. I'm not sure of the actually address but if your coming from the castle its on the right hand side just before you get to city hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thunder1

Hi guys!
    i heard about a new web comic called The Cide......
    i know that in Italy it created a lot of expectations 'cause is graphically innovative and it's totally free and just on the web.
    i've seen it on www.thecide.com
    i liked it a lot..... 'cause i never seen something like that.i hope that the story will be as good as the graphics!!
    i recommend you to read it!!
    see ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

You wouldnt use an internet forum to try and plug your new webcomic would you? Becauses taking advantage of the internet is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thunder1

i'm not taking advantage from this forum to make advertising!!
    i just advised about a new online project (i'm not in, it has been realized by some friends of mine) and i would like to know the opinion worldwide!
    Is this a problem for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement