Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Usually from beauracracy, remember the Nitrates Directive being under the Dept of Environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A sensible scheme would include land use measures to deal with the type of flooding issues in the news currently eg planting native vegetation on steep slopes, restoration of wetlands along rivers etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I just got back to the yard and noticed about 40/50 swallows sitting on the esb line. I wonder are they calling it quits on our summer and gathering before heading on their holidays to sub Saharan Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Base price wrote: »
    I just got back to the yard and noticed about 40/50 swallows sitting on the esb line. I wonder are they calling it quits on our summer and gathering before heading on their holidays to sub Saharan Africa.

Hopefully they had a good year this year. I could sit and watch them all day. Remarkable bird.

Between coronavirus, reading that thread in imho and listening to the radio all day about the Ballina 81 had enough of it and went out for a walk to clear the head. Was just me, the buzzards and the yellow hammers. Couldn't get a photo of the buzzards as they stay the other side of the field all the time. Good few juveniles this year, their call is not quiet there yet.

• Advertisement

Found this little lad today. Moths are becoming very interesting to me this year. No idea what it is.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Found this little lad today. Moths are becoming very interesting to me this year. No idea what it is.
    There is a great facebook page called Insects/Invertebrates of Ireland where you can post pics and get an ID.

There is a great facebook page called Insects/Invertebrates of Ireland where you can post pics and get an ID.

I must get a book on them. I don't have Facebook but will look it up under my father's account thanks base.

I must get a book on them. I don't have Facebook but will look it up under my father's account thanks base.
    Look in on your Dad's account and you won't be disappointed with the expert knowledge on the site .
    Have a look here at another site - http://www.irishmoths.net/

• Advertisement

Gold Spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Fabulous photo, terrific detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I left food out for the stray cat I've managed to collect & heard him at the dish late last night. Went out to see him & realised it wasn't the cat!

SbdV6Xdl.jpg

Was taking a walk around yesterday and alot of the Ash trees are in a sorry state. I remember there was another thread about ivy somewhere but looking at some of the trees that's all that will be left covering them after a while. I'll be getting some alder this year to start off as a replacement for the Ash trees. Fckin shame to see this disease taking hold around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Was taking a walk around yesterday and alot of the Ash trees are in a sorry state. I remember there was another thread about ivy somewhere but looking at some of the trees that's all that will be left covering them after a while. I'll be getting some alder this year to start off as a replacement for the Ash trees. Fckin shame to see this disease taking hold around the place.

Noticed the same around here in last few months, very few that aren't affected, is it true that horse chestnut trees are facing some disease too?

Noticed the same around here in last few months, very few that aren't affected, is it true that horse chestnut trees are facing some disease too?

Is it some form of canker I could be wrong. Horse chestnuts seem healthy enough around here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have some Alder around the edge of conifers, it's very soft, I don't know what use it will be. I suggest spread the risks of future diseases and plant a variety of species, depending on your soil type.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

blue5000 wrote: »
    I have some Alder around the edge of conifers, it's very soft, I don't know what use it will be. I suggest spread the risks of future diseases and plant a variety of species, depending on your soil type.

A lot of the insect species which use ash use alder as well. From a conservation point of view it is a good replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Puffball.

20200909-152007.jpg

20200909-152018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Puffball.

20200909-152007.jpg

20200909-152018.jpg

Giant puffball / Horse mushroom

When fresh - it makes very good eating, sliced and fried in butter. Very tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

gozunda wrote: »
    Horse mushroom

When fresh - it makes very good eating, sliced and fried in butter. Very tasty!

tastes like the white part of field mushroom, without the gills.

Froggies everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

This frog was giving me a funny look. Few butterflies thrown in too

Fluppen wrote: »
    This frog was giving me a funny look. Few butterflies thrown in too

That butterfly is lovely. Never seen one of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

I like looking at the nature and wildlife around the farm but most of the time I haven't a clue what I'm looking at. As far as I can tell from http://www.irishbutterflies.com/index.html the blueish one is a small blue, maybe, although it seems brighter than the one on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Fluppen wrote: »
    I like looking at the nature and wildlife around the farm but most of the time I haven't a clue what I'm looking at. As far as I can tell from http://www.irishbutterflies.com/index.html the blueish one is a small blue, maybe, although it seems brighter than the one on that site.

I think it's a male Common Blue, the markings are more alike, it's beautiful!

I'm the same as you I don't always know what I'm looking at it, but boards and google usually sort me out if I really want to know:)

Edited to say, I didn't see the other butterfly is a female Common Blue, and the brown is a Speckled Brown - really lovely photos of them!

A treat for keeping control of the rats and rabbits. They love the sausage rolls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seen a pheasant rising out of the wild bird cover today. Must put the no shooting sign up on the gate. Has anyone persuaded the local gun club to pay for the seed?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

blue5000 wrote: »
    Seen a pheasant rising out of the wild bird cover today. Must put the no shooting sign up on the gate. Has anyone persuaded the local gun club to pay for the seed?

There is a grant available from the NARGC for WBC.
    Apply through your local club. all that is needed a copy of receipt.
    The amount that can be claimed will be dependent on the uptake of the scheme.

• Advertisement

Colourful looking thing.

Advertisement