Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-05-2020, 23:55   #706
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
Of course it's true...one of the houses is mine

I fully agree. The Stradavoher end is wide enough for cars but the further up the lane you go the narrower it gets and the opposite end is only wide enough for pedestrians.

I had thought about setting up a committee to get it done. Jim Ryan told a neighbour of mine that since the council "maintain" it we can't do anything. However I've been here 3 years and not once have I seen the council anywhere near it. It's full of potholes, has huge weeds and grass growing on the verge under the fence and is covered in crap gravel.
I know the lane your talking about, have been up and down it myself... I wouldn't take much notice of his or others advice on the matter, they will all say that, they don't have to live there... If Jim was living there there would be a gate up.

Same suitation where i live, row of houses with a lane for rear access, gate at the top of it.... Gate is there years, all owners/residents have a key, gate is locked at night... no drama.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-05-2020, 01:18   #707
Grab All Association

Seen the deli counters removed from Subway in Thurles today. Their Facebook page (there’s an older one that’s inactive) was also removed. Looks like it’s closing down.
30-05-2020, 09:13   #708
splinter65
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab All Association View Post
Seen the deli counters removed from Subway in Thurles today. Their Facebook page (there’s an older one that’s inactive) was also removed. Looks like it’s closing down.
It’s closed permanently I can confirm.
31-05-2020, 10:54   #709
Grab All Association

It was always much busier than the franchisees other outlet in Nenagh. Rent maybe or franchising fees. It looked like it was Subway themselves removing the catering equipment. Unfortunately a number of businesses that closed due to Covid will never reopen again in the town.
31-05-2020, 10:57   #710
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab All Association View Post
It was always much busier than the franchisees other outlet in Nenagh. Rent maybe or franchising fees. It looked like it was Subway themselves removing the catering equipment. Unfortunately a number of businesses that closed due to Covid will never reopen again in the town.
I fear that is going to happen with a lot that are borderline viable. this is a great time to close, no one will ask questions and you can blame the virus. if you close any other time you cannot sign on and there is a lot less help out there for you

what other businesses are not re opening
Advertisement
02-06-2020, 13:22   #711
tastyt

Heard talk , just rumours I suppose that

Bowes bar
Taffys
Jim Kennedy Parnell st
De burcas
Tom dunnes
Q11
Liber tea rooms

All not reopening

After hearing of Subway now the town could be in a very bad way over the next few months
02-06-2020, 14:23   #712
MetzgerMeister
Der Möderätor

I passed by Subway on my way to work this morning and it seems normal. Couldn't see anything having been removed although maybe what was removed can't be seen from the road anyway.

Feel bad for all the above businesses if they do close especially Bowes as he's getting hit both in the pub and the travel agency.

For the likes of all the businesses on the square, it puts a different perspective on the redevelopment. A while back I heard that Roches were closing too as the next generation of them didn't want it. Someone told me that they were in there today and the place was thronged with customers.

Last edited by MetzgerMeister; 02-06-2020 at 14:26.
02-06-2020, 16:40   #713
drunkmonkey

The Subway deli counter and other parts of the interior were on DoneDeal last week, can’t see the ad now.
Carphone could be another one not opening.
Thanks from:
02-06-2020, 18:02   #714
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyt View Post
Heard talk , just rumours I suppose that

Bowes bar
Taffys
Jim Kennedy Parnell st
De burcas
Tom dunnes
Q11
Liber tea rooms

All not reopening

After hearing of Subway now the town could be in a very bad way over the next few months
the fact that 6 of those are pubs probably explains why I cant remember ever putting a foot inside any of them
Advertisement
02-06-2020, 18:07   #715
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
I passed by Subway on my way to work this morning and it seems normal. Couldn't see anything having been removed although maybe what was removed can't be seen from the road anyway.

Feel bad for all the above businesses if they do close especially Bowes as he's getting hit both in the pub and the travel agency.

For the likes of all the businesses on the square, it puts a different perspective on the redevelopment. A while back I heard that Roches were closing too as the next generation of them didn't want it. Someone told me that they were in there today and the place was thronged with customers.
it would be a big loss to the square if frank closed the doors. its the only thing on the square that would make you stop. everything else isn't worth the hassle of parking etc and can be gotten a lot easier and maybe cheaper outside the square.
I hope Jason takes it over. I see frank taking a more behind the scenes approach with the paint. we desperately need that personal touch that frank brings to the paint. he is great to mix and match and loves the challenge of matching odd stuff
(2) thanks from:
02-06-2020, 19:26   #716
tastyt

I’d imagine the best thing to do with the square regeneration is target is for places to eat and drink. Make it a nice place to walk around and maybe sit out in this weather

They should definitely bring the farmers market back in too.

The days of anybody doing any serious shopping in the square are mostly over unfortunately
Thanks from:
06-06-2020, 10:25   #717
Grab All Association

Almost everyone I talk to in Thurles doesn’t remember this, but I do like it was yesterday.

When Dunnes Stores first opened in 1996/7 they had a vending machine outside the entrance selling cans of St Bernard Cola for 20p. At the time Coca Cola was 50p a can from the vending machine in the train station and everyone back then didn’t care about branded products. It was sickeningly sweet cola. Who here remembers it?

Or when Lidl first opened it’s doors on the 5th of June 2002, the majority of their products were own brands from Germany. There was no English writing on most of the products at all.
06-06-2020, 12:26   #718
the_pen_turner

i remember lidl being a bit of a lottery on what each product was. i remember my mother brining home a few experiments each time and we would have a go to see if it was a buscuit or meat, or what flavour it was. they had some unusual flavores on some stuff
06-06-2020, 12:34   #719
ExMachina1000

I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea
Thanks from:
06-06-2020, 13:25   #720
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMachina1000 View Post
I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea
not as bad since the post office left. the double and triple parking is a lot less.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion