Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-05-2016, 21:25   #1
Mantis Toboggan
Registered User
 
Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12,554
Thurles

Surprised there's not already a a thread on it.

Seen it nominated for worst town in Ireland and was thinking of practical solutions to breath life back into the town.

I know the celtic tiger didn't really make an appearance in the town but it still has plenty going for it. Race track, train station, greyhound stadium, Semple Stadium, good schools, good Gaa clubs, motorway close by.

Big problem is lack of jobs, no reason for young people to stay there. Having so many independent politicians doesn't help.

First thing I'd do is get rid of the cars in the square, plenty of other places to develop parking, doesn't hold that many cars in any case. I'd put paving down and a few seats similar to Cashel town centre.

Secondly, there needs to be be another bridge over the river, preferably a ring road. As it stands cars are directed into the square just to get over the river leading to congestion.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by Mantis Toboggan; 03-05-2016 at 22:12.
Mantis Toboggan is offline  
Advertisement
03-05-2016, 23:00   #2
frankz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
Some of that already underway.
Talks of €3m redevelopment
Plans to widen footpaths and reduce parking.
Develop two new parking areas (around 100 spaces)

1. Behind what was Jackie Griffins

2. Around the Source somewhere (current underground parking there is disaster!!)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...34546286648299

http://www.thurles.info/2014/07/22/l...r-to-a-revamp/

http://tippfm.com/news/liberty_squar...ultation_phase


Ring road completion is long talked of and would be a major help - but it didn't get done before the recession and no money since!!
Should have happened in the "boom times" - council/councillors didn't get it together enough to put on national agenda.
Again hard to disagree with your point on the politicians.

Without the ring road the pinch points for traffic continue to cause congestion.
I am often shocked there are not more small tips/accidents

-(i) turning from Parnell Street on the the Square many people some to move well over the white line,
parking on the double yellow at fish shop doesn't help (perhaps still bit of old small town mentality - I am only popping in for a minute so will just leave the car right at the door and ignore that its blocks loads of others)

(ii) exiting the square towards Cathedral Street (again inappropriate Parking outside chinese/castle plus moving from wide road to narrow)

(iii) Fast moving traffic entering Parnell Street from stadium side many of whom seem to ignore that due to the parking they have to and are travelling in the middle of the road but yet do not give way to traffic exiting from square who are travelling on own side of road.

(iv) The one lane/two lane/double parking from AIB to Hayes.
Is using the left lane to continue forward proper driving or trying to skip the queue of traffic!
At first I used to use the left lane if continuing forward but between people randomly deciding to stop in park in it and then others cutting me up because the were using the right lane to continue straight.
I do find it funny when traffic is at standstill and people try to queue skip and its so short a road at most you might get past 3 cars - hardly worth the all the manouevering.

On the other side of square the inside lane is left turn only

(v) I find that is little reluctance by many drivers in Thurles to give an inch regardless of fact that they cant travel forward themselves. I didn't notice this as bad elsewhere.

So just the physical constraints of the narrowness and indeed the location of the schools causes a lot of traffic chaos.

I wasn't around when they tried the one way system but it seems there has huge resistance to even giving it a chance.

Other towns of not hugely bigger size use traffic lights because of the narrowness of streets - would it work or is it needed in Thurles? Or would it just increase the chaos?

In fairness the school on the road heading out towards semple stadium from Parnell street have really got their patrons to tidy up the parking.

Last edited by frankz; 03-05-2016 at 23:45.
frankz is offline  
03-05-2016, 23:03   #3
frankz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
Edit - side note. Have you ever been in liberty square after a big match in Semple Stadium.
Looks like a herd of wild animals came through !!!!
All manners/social conscience seems to go out the window and just drop your rubbish anywhere and everywhere

Last edited by frankz; 03-05-2016 at 23:14.
frankz is offline  
03-05-2016, 23:41   #4
tastyt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,535
Worst town in Ireland? Really? Where was this list?

Have to say it seems really hard for any new businesses to start up and survive in the town, be they restaurants or bars. I shudder to think what the local economy would be like without semple stadium.

Like a lot of rural towns the recession ripped the heart out of the place, by taking all the young people
tastyt is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2016, 00:00   #5
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,995
thurles

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
Some of that already underway.
Talks of €3m redevelopment
Plans to widen footpaths and reduce parking.
Develop two new parking areas (around 100 spaces)

1. Behind what was Jackie Griffins

2. Around the Source somewhere (current underground parking there is disaster!!) total disaster. . I don't know who designed it but surely they don't need all those pillars or that low of a ceiling

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...34546286648299

http://www.thurles.info/2014/07/22/l...r-to-a-revamp/

http://tippfm.com/news/liberty_squar...ultation_phase


Ring road completion is long talked of and would be a major help - but it didn't get done before the recession and no money since!!
Should have happened in the "boom times" - council/councillors didn't get it together enough to put on national agenda.
Again hard to disagree with your point on the politicians.

Without the ring road the pinch points for traffic continue to cause congestion.
I am often shocked there are not more small tips/accidents
the ring road was blocked by all the big shot shop keepers that said it would reduce foot fall into their shops. I think it would actually allow people to stop and shop rather than try to desperately get through the town

-(i) turning from Parnell Street on the the Square many people some to move well over the white line,
parking on the double yellow at fish shop doesn't help (perhaps still bit of old small town mentality - I am only popping in for a minute so will just leave the car right at the door and ignore that its blocks loads of others)
I think they are trying to stop the traffic on the square so its easier to get on

(ii) exiting the square towards Cathedral Street (again inappropriate Parking outside chinese/castle plus moving from wide road to narrow)

(iii) Fast moving traffic entering Parnell Street from stadium side many of whom seem to ignore that due to the parking they have to and are travelling in the middle of the road but yet do not give way to traffic exiting from square who are travelling on own side of road. if you wait at mcgloclines road marking for the oncoming traffic to stop you may as well bring a mattress an pillow with you. i drive like that any time im in thurles. you have to . the parking should be banned there to stop the back log. one truck and its gridlock

(iv) The one lane/two lane/double parking from AIB to Hayes.there is a special place in hell for those people
Is using the left lane to continue forward proper driving or trying to skip the queue of traffic! its proper driving . you have the right of way and should be able to use it
At first I used to use the left lane if continuing forward but between people randomly deciding to stop in park in it and then others cutting me up because the were using the right lane to continue straight.there should be a bollard in front of that right hand lane so that you can only go around the square and not straight away. I have reddened my horn on several bad driver at that point for trying to go straight thare when they had no right to cut across me
I do find it funny when traffic is at standstill and people try to queue skip and its so short a road at most you might get past 3 cars - hardly worth the all the manouevering. how are they cutting the queue . if the left lane is free then there is no queue going straight only one going back around the square , probably with some fool trying to go straight stuck at the lights

On the other side of square the inside lane is left turn only

(v) I find that is little reluctance by many drivers in Thurles to give an inch regardless of fact that they cant travel forward themselves. I didn't notice this as bad elsewhere.

So just the physical constraints of the narrowness and indeed the location of the schools causes a lot of traffic chaos.

I wasn't around when they tried the one way system but it seems there has huge resistance to even giving it a chance.total disaster . people driving the wrong way up one way streets and causing chaos

Other towns of not hugely bigger size use traffic lights because of the narrowness of streets - would it work or is it needed in Thurles? Or would it just increase the chaos? only create a disaster

In fairness the school on the road heading out towards semple stadium from Parnell street have really got their patrons to tidy up the parking.
---
the_pen_turner is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2016, 00:03   #6
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,995
don't get me started on the round about at Mitchel st and Dublin road. why cant anyone use it properly.
the_pen_turner is offline  
04-05-2016, 00:17   #7
frankz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
I fear you may be one of the overly aggressive drivers to whom I refer.

Redding the horn at a junction where you know both lanes are used for continuing straight on - its not really courteous driving now is it! :-)

There is actually no markings on the road to indicate that the right hand land is right hand turn only so traffic is entitled to go straight.
In the left hand lane you give way to traffic on the right so they are the ones that should actually "redden" the horn against you.

Ya - the parking on Parnell street is a problem. But that is NOT a reason to drive in an aggressive manner, because its a problem for traffic going both ways.
I am not saying bring a pillow at all, what I am saying is if many local drivers took an extra second, assessed the situation, drove a little slower it would allow the traffic leaving the town to keep moving as well.

I am sorry "I have to drive like that" is exactly what I am talking about, its all about me and to hell with the other road users!
What I am saying is a little less "gung ho" attitude might help.
frankz is offline  
04-05-2016, 00:20   #8
frankz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
I assume the underground parking at the source was designed as a flood water area and the parking idea came after?
frankz is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2016, 07:46   #9
Mantis Toboggan
Registered User
 
Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
Edit - side note. Have you ever been in liberty square after a big match in Semple Stadium.
Looks like a herd of wild animals came through !!!!
All manners/social conscience seems to go out the window and just drop your rubbish anywhere and everywhere
Wouldn't be too concerned with this, not just confined to Thurles, part and parcel of having a huge stadium in a small town. The stadium is a benefit to the town imo.

The problem lies with there being very little planning for big events, go to any of the big matches in Thurles this year and will not see any extra bins out on the street, what you will see is bins that are completely full.
Mantis Toboggan is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2016, 09:44   #10
frankz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Fury View Post
Wouldn't be too concerned with this, not just confined to Thurles, part and parcel of having a huge stadium in a small town. The stadium is a benefit to the town imo.

The problem lies with there being very little planning for big events, go to any of the big matches in Thurles this year and will not see any extra bins out on the street, what you will see is bins that are completely full.
Oh ya the stadium is a huge benefit.

And there is a lot more bins than there used to be,
but again if people could take some responsibility themselves - if the nearest bin is full that does not mean you should just drop in on street.
Have a bit of consideration for the locals/residents.
frankz is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2016, 13:59   #11
mikep
Registered User
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
The planning for the redevelopment of the square so hopefully that will commence soon.

The new park has been a great addition and is in use a lot, if only we could get a decent summer!!

On the jobs front Dew Valley Meats is probably the biggest employer and is expanding, also Boru Stoves recently took on more people.

The Stadium is a big draw but only really benefits the pubs etc..
mikep is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2016, 13:59   #12
mikep
Registered User
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
The planning for the redevelopment of the square has been submitted so hopefully that will commence soon.

The new park has been a great addition and is in use a lot, if only we could get a decent summer!!

On the jobs front Dew Valley Meats is probably the biggest employer and is expanding, also Boru Stoves recently took on more people.

The Stadium is a big draw but only really benefits the pubs etc..

Last edited by mikep; 04-05-2016 at 14:00. Reason: typo
mikep is offline  
04-05-2016, 16:54   #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
Edit - side note. Have you ever been in liberty square after a big match in Semple Stadium.
Looks like a herd of wild animals came through !!!!
All manners/social conscience seems to go out the window and just drop your rubbish anywhere and everywhere
They tried putting huge bins in the Sqaure at one stage but the bins soon filled up and spilled over etc so no benefit
wokingvoter is offline  
04-05-2016, 17:38   #14
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
I fear you may be one of the overly aggressive drivers to whom I refer. im one of the most calm drivers you will meet.

Redding the horn at a junction where you know both lanes are used for continuing straight on - its not really courteous driving now is it! :-) just because they go straight doesn't mean they should . iv actually only used my horn there twice and both times only to stop the fool crashing into me

There is actually no markings on the road to indicate that the right hand land is right hand turn only so traffic is entitled to go straight.
In the left hand lane you give way to traffic on the right so they are the ones that should actually "redden" the horn against you. I will be in thurles in a few hours. I will double check the markings but left for straight and right for right is the way its marked

Ya - the parking on Parnell street is a problem. But that is NOT a reason to drive in an aggressive manner, because its a problem for traffic going both ways.
I am not saying bring a pillow at all, what I am saying is if many local drivers took an extra second, assessed the situation, drove a little slower it would allow the traffic leaving the town to keep moving as well. I agree that some people drive way too fast in the middle of the road. when I do it I go very slow

I am sorry "I have to drive like that" is exactly what I am talking about, its all about me and to hell with the other road users! the next time im in thurles and have time I will time it to se how long I have to wait for the traffic to stop so I could drive
What I am saying is a little less "gung ho" attitude might help.
im not saying my driving on parnell st is 100% correct but its the lesser of two evils.


the main dangerous driving spots are
roundabout at the mill rd. it may as well not exist to some people
where ikernan rd comes out on Mitchel st (the narrow st on the end) . the speed some people swing in at would frighten you

round about at dunnes. cars stopping for no reason,, no indicators, and pedestrians with a death wish

the roundabout at lidl may not exist

the rd that comes out just after the railway bridge at bowes. is lethal with the speed people go over the bridge

that cross outside larrys pub is dangerous. someone pulled across me today coming from centra direction

the cross at bowes is a disaster and an accident waiting to happen
the_pen_turner is offline  
05-05-2016, 00:17   #15
frankz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
I cant quote your posts but:

I have reddened my horn on several bad driver at that point for trying to go straight thare when they had no right to cut across me

Followed by

iv actually only used my horn there twice and both times only to stop the fool crashing into me




:-) :-) :-)


I agree that some people drive way too fast in the middle of the road. when I do it I go very slow

Fair enough thats what we both think should happen on that road.
Just wasn't what I took from your first post.
Not suggestiong people should park and wait at all.


Roughly outside ladbrokes in the right hand land an arrow to in the right hand lane go straight ahead and an arrow to go right.
So it seems both are a legitimate option.
At the junction there is a curve to show that you can go around the end. Not that you must.
frankz is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet