Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2020, 01:09   #1666
digzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by It wasnt me123 View Post
No its not good enough and we should vote for them - why should some unaccountable person get to make decisions for me or anyone else for that matter and who chooses who these so called experts are? And why can’t we vote for them at the same time as a general election? We are capable at filling in two ballot papers.
I think we’ve enough in one dail!! Essentially you’re looking for a second one.

The Seanad is some waste. Unfortunately the great unwashed saw fit to keep it in the referendum.

I spoil my Seanad vote every chance I get.
Advertisement
01-03-2020, 02:21   #1667
It wasnt me123

I actually voted to abolish it but seeing as we have it, I don’t want washed up would be TD being foisted on me, I want to vote for them.
Thanks from:
01-03-2020, 10:13   #1668
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digzy View Post
I think we’ve enough in one dail!! Essentially you’re looking for a second one.

The Seanad is some waste. Unfortunately the great unwashed saw fit to keep it in the referendum.

I spoil my Seanad vote every chance I get.
why spoil your vote? It's such a waste. If you have a vote give it towards even just one person who can actually do something useful.
01-03-2020, 13:00   #1669
julyjane

If we end up going back to the polls, as many are saying we could be, is anyone expecting different results in Tipperary? Joe Hannigan has bowed out so there's a lot of 1st preferences there for the taking.
01-03-2020, 13:21   #1670
jlm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyjane View Post
If we end up going back to the polls, as many are saying we could be, is anyone expecting different results in Tipperary? Joe Hannigan has bowed out so there's a lot of 1st preferences there for the taking.
I suppose a lot depends on Sinn Fein? Surely they will run extra candidates in a lot of constituencies to mop up their own surpluses instead of transferring them elsewhere
Advertisement
01-03-2020, 13:55   #1671
julyjane

Sinn Féin did well getting one seat in Tipp, even with the latest polls it's hard to see them winning 2 but they might run 2 anyway. I wonder would Seamus Healy win his seat back and at who's expense. If Alan Kelly wins labour leadership vote he might do better this time
01-03-2020, 14:08   #1672
Maryanne84

Quote:
Sinn Féin did well getting one seat in Tipp, even with the latest polls it's hard to see them winning 2 but they might run 2 anyway. I wonder would Seamus Healy win his seat back and at who's expense. If Alan Kelly wins labour leadership vote he might do better this time
I doubt FF would run 3 candidates again. The two ladies got a bruising.
01-03-2020, 14:33   #1673
digzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Sheep View Post
why spoil your vote? It's such a waste. If you have a vote give it towards even just one person who can actually do something useful.
No it’s not. I believe the Seanad should be abolished. I won’t give any of them a mandate. I get the usual leaflets from people I’ve never heard of in the lead up. Have you watched any of the footage of it? It’s a joke.
By spoiling a vote it sends a message ( albeit minuscule).
What ‘something useful’ has been done by the Seanad over the course of its last term?
01-03-2020, 14:36   #1674
digzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
I doubt FF would run 3 candidates again. The two ladies got a bruising.
Aren’t they obliged to comply with the gender quota? Obviously we’d like a gender balance in the dail, but the electorate shouldn’t be manipulated
Advertisement
01-03-2020, 15:30   #1675
It wasnt me123

I don’t think there will be another election - Micheal Martin wants to be Taoiseach and if FG don’t play ball, FF will go in with SF otherwise FF will have another leadership contest. If there is another election, SF should run two candidates in every constituency - IMO they will get more votes - this messing about by the two big parties is annoying us all - we need a government and we need it now.
Thanks from:
01-03-2020, 15:59   #1676
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digzy View Post
No it’s not. I believe the Seanad should be abolished. I won’t give any of them a mandate. I get the usual leaflets from people I’ve never heard of in the lead up. Have you watched any of the footage of it? It’s a joke.
By spoiling a vote it sends a message ( albeit minuscule).
What ‘something useful’ has been done by the Seanad over the course of its last term?
spoiling your vote doesnt do anything though. Abolishing the seanad gives the dail too much power and a tripartite system is so much stronger. I have watched coverage. I have a good friend who has been nominated to run for one of the panels.
Spoiling your vote doesnt send a message unless you have a considerable percentage who would and that isnt going to happen.
Seanad can revise laws from dail which keeps the lower house in check. Removing the seanad doesnt help that.
02-03-2020, 11:24   #1677
touts

Quote:
If there is an election in the next 12 months

Sinn Fein will run two candidates. Publically in the hope of taking two seats. In reality in the hope of getting someone coherent to take the seat and get Browne off the two seats in the front row of the Dail he is currently filling everytime Mary Lou is on Camera. They will hold one seat

FF will run 2 candidates. Cahill in the North and Ambrose in Clonmel to try and fill the gap left by Healy.
FG will run whichever of Aherne or Kate O'Connell's sister gets a senate seat. If neither win a senate seat then they will run Michael Murphy.
FF/FG will hold just one seat. Probably Cahill

Healy won't run. His organisation may run Pat English but he won't have the name recognition outside Clonmel.

Lowery will run and hold his seat

Kelly will run and hold his seat

Mattie will run and hold his seat.

No one else matters.
02-03-2020, 12:44   #1678
kellykelly

Healy said he may run if it was within a year. Shinners will target Healys seat and transfer to their own as well as any FF challenge to Healy. Ambrose is a lightweight and no one would take her serious
02-03-2020, 12:56   #1679
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykelly View Post
Healy said he may run if it was within a year. Shinners will target Healys seat and transfer to their own as well as any FF challenge to Healy. Ambrose is a lightweight and no one would take her serious
SF took Healy's seat. No point in targeting it other than the desire to, shall we say, trade up from Browne.

I don't think FF will take a second seat and in fact will have a fight to keep Cahill's one. But Ambrose is the only feasible 2nd candidate they have. Goldsboro came across very poorly in the election (posters of a young polished, well dressrd lady and on the doorstep & social media she looked anything but). Image might not be everything but the difference was so stark it came across as deceitful. Farrell was an unmitigated disaster. Smith Jr might want to run again but he is in the North so no way Cahill lets him run. No one else they have stands even a slight chance. So it's a Cahill/Ambrose ticket or a Cahill only ticket which will not go down well in the South of the county.
02-03-2020, 12:59   #1680
jlm29

How long can the talks (if there’s even any talks still going on, the coronavirus took over the media) between parties go on before another election Is called?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion