Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Superior Spider-Man Thread

Options
  • 13-04-2013 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

It's quite frankly delivering with every issue so far. I'm loving what Slott has done with Ock and all the things he's set in place. I think this is his best work on Spider-Man to date so I felt like setting up a thread where all of us who are reading it could discuss it. There will be spoilers I imagine but when in doubt,
    spoiler it out

Now obviously certain things can be accepted as not being spoilers now if you've clicked into here and the bulk of that is that Doctor Octopus is in Spider-Man's body and that Peter's consciousness is still alive in there (all covered in the first issue)

Also the art team is nailing the crap out of it :)

the_amazing_spider-man_700_1.jpg
    asm-700-last-page.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1356989346933

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bloodgulchout

Been thinking about joining a thread for Spock so you can count me in. I can't get enough of superior spider-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Am currently a bit behind on my Weekly/Monthly Marvel titles but despite my initial doubts this has won me over. Credit to Slott that it actually reads like a completely different character, and to the art team for the fact that he even moves like a different character.

As said before Ock beating the sh*t out of Wolverine has been one of my most recent comic highlights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm an issue or 2 behind but completely agree, its a great start, more than a start at this stage even. Also enjoyed the ultron tie in even though its a completely different creative team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Am currently a bit behind on my Weekly/Monthly Marvel titles but despite my initial doubts this has won me over. Credit to Slott that it actually reads like a completely different character, and to the art team for the fact that he even moves like a different character.

As said before Ock beating the sh*t out of Wolverine has been one of my most recent comic highlights.

haha that was the highlight of Avenging for me so far (hear that it's ending ad being rebranded?)
    mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm an issue or 2 behind but completely agree, its a great start, more than a start at this stage even. Also enjoyed the ultron tie in even though its a completely different creative team.

The artwork was fantastic for that. Soy is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm just reading Superior. Is Avenging the same story. Like how last week's issue ended, was that to be continued in Avenging or Superior?

• Advertisement

Avenging is non crucial reading tbh. More often than not you don't have to read Avenging (though this may change with the rebranding as Superior Spider-Man Team Up) but I would highly recommend you read simply because of the quality in it. Where else can you see Wolverine get his adamantium keester handed to him by the arachnid avenger? (happened a couple of months ago at this stage)

AvengingSM_16_TheGroup-014_zps0717d2e0.jpg

Basically Avenging is non essential but can make for a fuller reading experience (like how the above scene is somewhat referenced in the last issue)

End of #8 :O :O :O :O :O :O
    Doc Ock knows about Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

End of #9 :O :O :O :O :O :O
    Doc Ock ERASED PETER'S MEMORIES AND CONSCIOUSNESS FOREVER

A Neurotic wrote: »
    End of #9 :O :O :O :O :O :O
    Doc Ock ERASED PETER'S MEMORIES AND CONSCIOUSNESS FOREVER

I KNOW

and the art was amazing it has to be said

Have people seen the covers for upcoming Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man Team Up?

KAINE IS COMING BACK TO NEW YORK

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Whoops clicked on this by accident....glad people are using spoilers. :)

Think it might be time to put down the college books and charge up the kindle for a bit of catching up. That new costume looks terrible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't know what to make of it! I won't stop reading but my gut is paining from issues 8 and 9!

Stegman's art in #10 is top notch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

im sickened after no.9. what a joke. the comics are decent though.
    at least the green goblins back
    . dont think that was a spoiler though since he appeared at the end of an earlier issue

With regarding the above, I have a theory that it's
    Peter in the body of GG

Thwip! wrote: »
    With regarding the above, I have a theory that it's
    Peter in the body of GG

that would be brilliant if it were true. a very interesting battle, with so many factors involved like the characters and their crossed minds all mashed in together. although i cant see that being the case. there's no possible way i can think off, whereby peter managed to get his mind into
    Osborn's brain
    at any point.
    nor would he have ever have blown up mj's nightclub and jeopardise her safety nor use kids as pawns no matter what, even in a grand master plan to get his body back.
    although far stranger things have happened in comics ha

Allow me to present my theory.....It's going to be unspoilered because

A) It's a theory, I'm not writing the comic

and

B) Anything I mention in this will have happened up to #10 and since #11 is out then it can't really spoil anything

So here it goes

I think that Peter is in Goblin's body because everything that Gobby is doing now isn't typical of the Norman we know. Think about it out of all the spider-bots the Green Goblin could've disabled (which is shown by the Gobby kids testing it) he miraculously chooses to hack into the spider-bot patrolling Mary Jane's nightclub? If you think about it he never directly ordered the Goblin kids to bomb Mary Jane's....only to check that it wasn't notifying Ock and that the Spider- bot had successfully been hacked.. They did the bombing of their own initiative and I think that he chose to disable that particular one so Ock couldn't keep tabs on MJ. Not to mention despite it being deactivated earlier, it eventually ends up alerting SpOck, who decided to send a dispatch to the fire department which I think means that Gobby had it disabled to the extent where that it will only communicate with Ock-Spidey when there's an emergency. The Green Goblin, or Goblin King, is also in his own way stopping more crime than Ock-Spidey by pulling all these goons and henchmen off the streets and into the sewers.

Now we get to the matter of how Peter got into Norman's body. It's one of two things I imagine. Either:
    A) Peter realising the end of his life was near sends the Gold Ockbot to find the nearest Superpowered person it can find to transfer his conciousness and that person happens to be Norman in his coma. Norman is one of Spidey's most formidable villains and he has the means to take Ock-Spidey down so it's a natural choice of host for Peter. We know that the Force Ghost Peter (as I call him) that has been ever present since the start of Superior wasn't really Peter, but rather the small remainder of Peter's memories before Ock wiped them out. Slott explained as much. There are holes in my theory yes, but there are holes in most comic plots to be fair

or

B) Julia Carpenter in her role as Madame Web transferred Peter's conciousness into Norman. Julia is in the hosp for most of the issues leading into #700 and also during. It's not beyond reason that she would be in the same hospital as Norman, and even though she's in a coma she still retains her psychic powers. I think that maybe she found Peter on the astral plane and transported him into the nearest body that could take down Superior....and that would be Norman mother flipping Osborn. I think the scene we saw of Norman leaving the hospital bed was actually taking place post #700 or right at the very end and was hinting at what was to come

So there you go...there's my crackpot theory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Thanks for posting that theory, it is an interesting read.

I did think it was strange that Norman Osborn was just kept in what appeared to be a regular hospital bed with little to no security. As for Peter being the Green Goblin/ King... you make an interesting case but I don't know if I'd buy that... just yet. I'd want to see more of the Goblin to see how he acts/ what he does.

i cant say what happened in issue 11 and onwards for a while because i leave the comics on standing order for a while and then go into town to pick them up every few months. so i probably wont me much use to this thread again for a while ha. but ye, as cool as parker in the mind of osborn sounds i dont think its gonna happen, one way or another. i still dont think he'd use kids as pawns no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Picked up ASM #700 & Avenging 15.1 and had to continue to see what happened. Read Superior weekly up to number 10(? one where he erases Peter from his brain), and loved it so far (had to cancel my subscriptions due to holidays, every penny counts!). The change in attitude and the way Ock uses Spidey is great I think but the suspense in how Peter is going to come back makes this work for me.
    Will try pick up where I left off after funds come good again and continue with the series

It's been great so far. One of the few series I've yet to have a bad issue with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Ok, just ordered this from Amazon, Superior Spider-Man - Volume 1. Just going by what I'v read on this thread, I'm taking a chance with it :pac:

Also, is it necessary to read dying wish first?

Well you can, it's a great read. I assume if you've been following the thread you know what happens in Dying Wish anyway so it wont be necessary for you to read it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Well you can, it's a great read. I assume if you've been following the thread you know what happens in Dying Wish anyway so it wont be necessary for you to read it

Well, yes and no. I know the ending, but thats it. Do I need to know any more than that? Only started reading comics and graphic novels very recently so theres a lot I dont know, I feel like I'v missed out on so much!

Hmmmm... well a good few of the opening Superior issues recap it so you'll be fine. Coincidentally there's a Hardcover (or could be soft) coming out that has Dying Wish and the opening five issues of Superior in it coming out

Don't think it was posted but I see there are a few "superior" spinoffs coming:
    Superior Spider-Man Team Up (Ongoing)
    The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Ongoing)
    Superior Carnage (5 issues)

If they're going to be crossing over constantly, I think I'll drop it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't think it was posted but I see there are a few "superior" spinoffs coming:
    Superior Spider-Man Team Up (Ongoing)
    The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Ongoing)
    Superior Carnage (5 issues)

If they're going to be crossing over constantly, I think I'll drop it.

Superior Spider-Man Team Up isn't technically new. It's Avenging Spider-Man with the numbering and title changed seeing as it can't be called Avenging Spider-Man if he was fired from the Avengers. Yost is staying on as writer.

Superior Foes mightn't necessarily cross over nearly as much as they're letting on to be honest. Seems more like a character (well characters) study book. Worth noting that they're using our very own Declan Shalvey's redesign for Boomerang in it :P. From what I'm hearing I'm imagining it to read like the Hawkeye ongoing but with villains...which would be really cool in my opinion.

And Superior Carnage (thankfully a mini, budget be damned) could be very interesting. Creative team is solid and it seems to be building upon the achievement Marvel has had with their reworking of Venom, playing on the concept on "What if a master villain tried to do to Carnage what the US did for Venom?"

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

I KNOW

and the art was amazing it has to be said

Have people seen the covers for upcoming Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man Team Up?

KAINE IS COMING BACK TO NEW YORK

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

Picked up Team Up #1 today, was good without being great, and then like most Superior titles I have read, the last page is brilliant!

Kaine was kinda where I really got into comics in the 90's so will pick up a few more issues

Also got Hunger #1, didn't really care for it if I honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I just read Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #2 and Scarlet Spider #20. One word:
    disappointing
    which is
    disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

So, I went on here to see if someone had started a thread about it. Pleasantly surprised to see one.

I've just finished reading #15, and I like where it left off, but in general I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole main plot so far.

I don't think I need to put spoiler tags on as it's the second page of the thread, so while I think the whole idea of Ock's mind in Spider-Man is interesting, I'm not sure where they're going with it. I miss Peter Parker, as a character, all the quips and everything. And I think it was a fairly ignoble end to his character, if what happened in #9 was truly the end of him. That said, it's a comic book, and they can always wave a magic wand and undo stuff, which is actually the other aspect I'm curious about. I see it going two ways, one: Peter is gone forever, Ock is forever in control of him, and he's not really spider-man (in my opinion at any rate), or two: Magic wand time, it's undone, and the whole thing was..pointless.

I'm still invested in the comic, interested to see where they take a "no holds barred" Spider-Man to. And, after reading my paragraph above, I think it's possibly the pettiest gripe I've ever written! That said, I've only been reading these for a year, so I guess I'm just not used to major change ups.

• Advertisement

Going by the latest issue it seems
    Everyone suspects Peter is not himself. Did his classmate/girlfriend meet Pre-Ock Peter?

Advertisement