Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All the locked threads - forum closed?

• 25-07-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭

I hope this doesn't get me an infraction but I feel I must post about this. Is this forum open for discussion or not? Yesterday someone posted about the whereabouts of Christmas jumpers. The thread was yet again locked. I can't understand this since now is the perfect time to be asking about this. From personal experience I know you can never find one around December. Summer is the smartest time to try and locate one.

It seems discussion about Christmas jumpers is not allowed in the Christmas forum because it's not Christmas. :rolleyes: Neither is discussion about the Christmas countdown or a Christmas magazine.

Why not just lock the forum until December then? I'll probably get an infraction and told to pm the mod in question. I have before and they just don't seem to get it. I'll probably be making my next post from the "Prison"! I hope to be posting in the Christmas FM thread next month like I did same time last year without sanction. If it gets locked I'm going to take my complaints to the very top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You should really post in feedback.

What are your main concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

My apologies. I only read the charter after posting which was rather silly. I pm'ed AlmightyCushion. My main concern is that Hot Lips is locking everything. Discussion of anything to do with Christmas is prohibited because it's the summer. That's wrong in my humble opinion. Never saw so many locked threads before in this forum.

VanZan wrote: »
    My apologies. I only read the charter after posting which was rather silly. I pm'ed AlmightyCushion. My main concern is that Hot Lips is locking everything. Discussion of anything to do with Christmas is prohibited because it's the summer. That's wrong in my humble opinion. Never saw so many locked threads before in this forum.

Ok.

Leave it with me, I'll raise it in our mod forum and see what the story is.

I just had a quick look over a few things. 6 threads were closed, 3 of them related to a Christmas countdown thread.

The Christmas magazine thread was ended with a promise to reopen once we got the nod from the lads in the office.

The one with the sweater query could have turned into a shill fest.

I think Sharps did the right thing in closing them and communicated her intent well.

Have you any other thoughts?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

i still haven't got a nod from above, to open my magazine thread, i did email the day i was told. could you ask about this! :D cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

liamo22 wrote: »
    i still haven't got a nod from above, to open my magazine thread, i did email the day i was told. could you ask about this! :D cheers !

With regards to that, I know one of the Community Managers has left and the other is highly burdened with work so I would say HotLips is probably still waiting on a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

star-pants wrote: »
    With regards to that, I know one of the Community Managers has left and the other is highly burdened with work so I would say HotLips is probably still waiting on a reply.

Ok thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I just had a quick look over a few things. 6 threads were closed, 3 of them related to a Christmas countdown thread.

Last year the Christmas Countdown thread started in August by a moderator. This year we're not allowed a countdown thread until December. I can't see a problem with having an official countdown thread. I emailed the mod who closed it down and this is what I was told. Why is there inconsistency from year to year?
    The one with the sweater query could have turned into a shill fest.

I don't understand what a 'shill fest' is?

He means there's groups of gangsters monitoring the "Christmas" forum 24/7 looking to promote their dodgy woolly merchandise. That's why the thread had to be closed. Funny that since there was no problem with similar threads every other year. What I can't understand is why this thread hasn't been locked yet? I mean there's actual discussion going on. Maybe "Hot Lips" just hasn't been online yet.

• Advertisement

Last year the Christmas Countdown thread started in August by a moderator. This year we're not allowed a countdown thread until December. I can't see a problem with having an official countdown thread. I emailed the mod who closed it down and this is what I was told. Why is there inconsistency from year to year?

I'm sure the count down thread isnt set in stone and no doubt we can come to an arrangement to when the count down should actually start.

A shill is a business or person advertising their product.

He means there's groups of gangsters monitoring the "Christmas" forum 24/7 looking to promote their dodgy woolly merchandise. That's why the thread had to be closed. Funny that since there was no problem with similar threads every other year. What I can't understand is why this thread hasn't been locked yet? I mean there's actual discussion going on. Maybe "Hot Lips" just hasn't been online yet.

Seriously, what's with the attitude? You wanted to discuss something and you were given the chance too. In return, you take it as an opportunity to take cheap shots at a Christmas Forum mod. That's bad form.

Honestly, if you want reasonable discussion which may improve the forum we are all ears. If you want to go where you are going, it will be a fruitless exercise.

Seriously, what's with the attitude? You wanted to discuss something and you were given the chance too. In return, you take it as an opportunity to take cheap shots at a Christmas Forum mod. That's bad form.

Honestly, if you want reasonable discussion which may improve the forum we are all ears. If you want to go where you are going, it will be a fruitless exercise.
    Yeah I got carried away alright. Apologies to you and Hot Lips.

That's why the thread had to be closed. Funny that since there was no problem with similar threads every other year..

This is where I find the problem. It seems every other year things seemed to run smoothly and this year there's all this heavy handedness.
    It's totally ruining the spirit of the Christmas forum for me and is even starting to put me off posting in it.

I wouldn't mind but none of the threads closed were even controversial. Another thread that was closed was about offers of Christmas hotels/b&bs. Again NOW is the time for people to be buying these things.

If this goes on for much longer I'm afraid I will be going elsewhere with my Christmas cheer. As VanZan says you might as will close the forum until December :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Another thread that was closed was about offers of Christmas hotels/b&bs. Again NOW is the time for people to be buying these things.

I believe that thread was posted elsewhere and you're not allowed cross forum post the same thing so it was closed here and left open in the other forum.

Thanks for that star parts. Hot Lips did say this though:

"You are right, it is too early for this type of thread.

I am locking this for that reason,
    plus, you have also posted this same thread in Gift & Festivity & Party Ideas."

Ok this statement is going to get me banned but I feel I must make it. Hot Lips posted in one of the countdown threads that the shorter the build up to Christmas the better (or words to that effect) and surely these aren't the words of a Christmas lover?
    I'm sorry that Hot Lips isn't here to defend herself. But I want things out in the open. We live in a democracy don't we?

So I am very sad that I'll probably get banned because I did enjoy posting in this forum. I loved posting in the Christmas Out of Season thread. But all this thread closing has left a badtaste in my mouth.

Happy Christmas :(

Relax will ya. :)

We have explained why most of the threads were closed. We are looking at opening a count down thread soon. We'll have official word in a bit.

We appreciate the feed back and as long as it is civil there won't be bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Have to agree with milli milli on this. It is almost laughable the way this is 'policed'. A christmas thread where christmas-lovers are banned from counting down to christmas. Couldnt give a cr*p if it's January 1st or December 1st, if christmas-lovers want to tell fellow christmas-lovers that it's a million days to christmas, so bloody what? Why keep the christmas thread open at all then?

Jeez, are yiz all related to Scrooge or what?

Sorry if that came across a bit heavy-handed but it just really made me tear my hair out. Happy July everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

DUBACC wrote: »
    Have to agree with milli milli on this. It is almost laughable the way this is 'policed'. A christmas thread where christmas-lovers are banned from counting down to christmas.

Are they really?

This unofficial countdown thread by milli is still open.

It would be nice if people read the forum/threads before jumping in.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I am locking this for that reason, plus, you have also posted this same thread in Gift & Festivity & Party Ideas."

I bolded the actual reason in red for you milli.
    Ok this statement is going to get me banned but I feel I must make it. Hot Lips posted in one of the countdown threads that the shorter the build up to Christmas the better (or words to that effect) and surely these aren't the words of a Christmas lover?

Of course they are, but the shorter the build up the better, where is the exictment posting a countdown thread in July?

If you really love Christmas then the wait for halloween to be over, is like a child waiting to open a present under the tree.

You already have your unofficial thread, it's still open and will remain so until the Official one is posted.

I'm sorry that Hot Lips isn't here to defend herself.

Hi. 0/

So I am very sad that I'll probably get banned because I did enjoy posting in this forum. I loved posting in the Christmas Out of Season thread. But all this thread closing has left a badtaste in my mouth.

Happy Christmas :(

milli, let me get this straight, you loved posting in your unofficial countdown thread which was left open but because VanZan started this thread about closures in the forum it's left a bad taste in your mouth?

Also, why on earth would you think you will be banned?:confused:

• Advertisement

Hot Lips wrote: »
    Are they really?

This unofficial countdown thread by milli is still open.

It would be nice if people read the forum/threads before jumping in.:pac:

Very good! I meant an official countdown thread like in other years. ;)

I am locking this for that reason plus, you have also posted this same thread in Gift & Festivity & Party Ideas."

I bolded the actual reason in red for you milli.

Hot Lips you stated in this post that you closed it firstly for being too early. If you meant to close it for the second reason, perhaps it should have been worded differently?

I was happy to post in the other thread and chose to ignore all the locked threads. I really wanted to post about the locked threads but was afraid of getting an infraction/ban. I just wasn't brave enough. When VanZan posted I was happy that someone felt the same and gave my support.
    Of course I thought I would get banned because it is a no-no to question a mods decision, especially in a public thread like this.

I also think a Christmas countdown in July is only a bit of fun and yes would be a bit 'exciting' for Christmas lovers. I have repeatedly said that the last countdown was started last August by a mod but no one seems to acknowledge this. We can agree to differ on our opinion of the countdown.

I am not having a go at you Hot Lips. Your post seems to think I am. When I said I wish you were here to defend yourself I didn't mean that sarcastically. We were discussing your actions and you hadn't replied so it kind of felt like we were talking behind your back.

I really think though, as another poster stated, that there is too much policing going on. The fact that the reopening of a Christmas countdown thread has to be discussed is a sign that things are being taken way too seriously here. It's a discussion forum, for Gods sake, not a government tribunal!

(BTW in my last post when I was going on about democracy, I was replying in kind because I felt like this forum was a bit like a dictatorship!)

anyway peace out, Christmas folk!

I mean for Gawd's sake have a look at the first page of the forum. There's at least six threads locked. I wouldn't mind if it was a controversial forum like After Hours or the Soccer forum but it's a Christmas forum! :D

Hell I even had a thread locked because I posted a cheap deal for Elf available on Play.com. I'm sure a mod will come back with some justification for this but I'd like to point something out. I posted a deal last year for a holiday fireplace DVD called the "Happy Holiday Hearth" and posted a link to Amazon. There wasn't a single problem from anybody and the thread even got one or two replies before sinking without trace.

Also there was a sweater thread locked because it could become a shill zone. What about all the other sweater threads which linked to sites like funky christmas jumpers down the years (who supplied Tubridy's toy show jumper I believe)? Under the new rules all this seems to be "verboten".

Hell I even had a thread locked because I posted a cheap deal for Elf available on Play.com".

is that what that was? I would have been interested in that but had no idea what it was.

is that what that was? I would have been interested in that but had no idea what it was.
    Yeah locked for advertising Play.com unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Vanzan you had another locked,[the last one i belive,]:p

Seriously though milli mill I think you are doing a great job with your countdown regardless of which one it is..Mods maybe when you get the go ahead from the powers that be to open the official one.It might be a nice gesture if you could let milli open it,she/he will then have done both,after all she/he has done a great job in my humble opinion, of contributing a lot to the christmas forum through out the year and I for one would miss milli's posts..and no I do not know this person. :)

littlemis wrote: »
    Vanzan you had another locked,[the last one i belive,]:p

Seriously though milli mill I think you are doing a great job with your countdown regardless of which one it is..Mods maybe when you get the go ahead from the powers that be to open the official one.It might be a nice gesture if you could let milli open it,she/he will then have done both,after all she/he has done a great job in my humble opinion, of contributing a lot to the christmas forum through out the year and I for one would miss milli's posts..and no I do not know this person. :)

Aw thanks littlemis. I enjoyed seeing your multipurpose tree and talking Christmas! I am a she by the way!

milli = legend of christmas boards! :P

I was reading the out of season thread last night and I must say it got me excited about Christmas :D

Anyhow, the mod team has been going over a few things which we'll release in due course. But for now we have decided that there is no time like the present for a countdown thread.

So we can unlock the one that was locked or a new one can be started. You decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Can we all not just forget about this thread now,and get back to talking Christmas.All this negativity is not good for the forum or it seems for the good spirit of those who post here.This I belive is ment to be the forum for good will,happy heart,warm glows & all the nice things related to Christmas....:)We have come this far into the year being allowed to keep the forum going,so for the sake of Christmas,we owe it to ourselves to keep going.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement