Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-06-2008, 14:40   #1
ztoical

24-Hour Comics and Irish Free Comics Day 2008

All the events listed below will take place on the weekend of October 18th.

Irish Free Comic Day

An interesting and thought-provoking discussion on this very board has led to Ireland's first "Irish Free Comics Day" taking place on Saturday October 18th. The event is being organised by Rob Curley and will involve most of Ireland's Comic Book stores throughout the Republic and Northern Ireland. The motivation behind this event is to push the Irish small press scene and encourage people to not only read Irish comics but to make new Irish comics as well.

For a comic to be considered for inclusion for "Irish Free Comic Day", the comic needs to be the majority product of an Irish creator or a creator who is based in Ireland [ie at least 51% of the book should be Irish] - after all, this event is for promoting Irish comics!

You need to be able to provide at least 40 copies per store [that means if you wish to submit your comics to just Sub City in Dublin then you will need to have 40 copies, if you wanted to submit to Sub City and Forbidden Planet then you would need 80 copies and so on]. The shops involved so far are Forbidden Planet Dublin, Forbidden Planet Belfast, Sub-City Dublin, Sub-City Galway, Other Realms Cork.

There is no payment for these comics - the creator is donating them for free to be part of "Irish Free Comic Day", and they will in turn be given away for free in participating stores.

Every comic that is part of "Irish Free Comic Day" will need to include the event logo on the cover. The logo is still being designed for the event but when ready it will be available for download via the web. It can be included on the cover before going to print or if the comics are already printed, printed off as a sticker and added to the cover.

Comics that may contain work not suitable for children should be clearly marked.

The main focus of this event is to highlight the Irish comics scene, and as such we want to encourage as many creators to get involved as possible. With that in mind, I would like to encourage those who might not have the money to produce a comic for the event or have enough work to fill a comic of their own to consider getting together in small groups and sharing the cost of printing for a small sampler comic featuring several artists.

This event is being used to promote Irish comic work to both the Irish comics scene but also outside of that so as such we would like to keep the quality level to a high standard. If people are unsure about how to go about getting their comic into print please leave a comment.

There is further information to come so keep an eye on this thread - we are sorting a FAQ but need feedback from people as to what questions they might need answered so please comment on this thread.

For further information regarding Irish Free Comics day please contact Rob

24 hour comics day 2008

Draw Comics

Come lock yourself in a room with strangers for 24 hours and draw comics! Ok we don't actually lock the doors but we do draw comics for 24 straight hours. The details for this year's 24 hour comics day are as follows. It will take place in Dublin at the Central Hotel [across the road from Sub City] on October 18th to 19th. Drawing begins at noon on saturday and will continue to noon on sunday. It is free to take part.

People are welcome to come and attempt the full 24 hours or just part of the 24 hours. It is open to people at all skill levels and all ages. Don't worry if all you draw is stickmen, this event is about getting people drawing and creating. People are also encouraged to drop in and look around, talk with the artists and read/buy some indie comics.

Read Comics

We are expanding the reading table that proved to be a hit last year. A table in the room will be set up with a selection of mini comics, zines, self published comics with a big focus on Irish-made comics. Space allowing we will aim to have a kids friendly comic selection in one area and a section for the more mature themed comics. So if you don't have time to draw comics but might have half an hour to spare, come in and read some comics.

Buy/Sell Comics

For those who have comics that aren't part of the Free Irish Comics day, we invite them to sell their comics at the small press table at 24 hour comics day. The table selling these comics will run from 11am saturday morning until 8pm saturday evening [it will not run on the sunday]. There is no charge for people leaving their comics to sell on the table but you must be free to come pick up your unsold comics and or money before 24 hour comics day finishes on the Sunday. The table is for indie press comics only (this means no posters, prints, buttons, stickers etc).

There is some more information, a FAQ, and examples of 24 hour comics for the past two events on the event website

For further information on 24 hour comics day please contact Ztoical (Cliodhna) or Fysh (Kyle) [Please put "comics" somewhere in the email subject]

Last edited by ztoical; 26-06-2008 at 02:49.
Advertisement
25-06-2008, 15:43   #2
Fysh

Yay, I'm looking forward to this already. It's going to be a mad weekend, but lots of fun as usual
25-06-2008, 16:34   #3

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I'd love to be involved in any capacity. Just let me know.

Stephen
25-06-2008, 19:57   #4

Me and Ian are "on board" as well.
25-06-2008, 22:00   #5

Sounds interesting.

I`d love to do another 24 hour comic.And the comic-selling table sounds deadly!Can`t wait!

Luke F ( http://lukefcomics.blogspot.com/ )
Advertisement
26-06-2008, 02:26   #6

That free comic day sounds great, and actually could tie in nicely with something I'm working on at the moment.
What are the criteria for the comics submitted i.e. do they have to be of a certain shape, format, colour or b/w, number of pages etc, or is it totally up to the artist?

Thanks,
26-06-2008, 05:49   #7
ztoical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovers View Post
That free comic day sounds great, and actually could tie in nicely with something I'm working on at the moment.
What are the criteria for the comics submitted i.e. do they have to be of a certain shape, format, colour or b/w, number of pages etc, or is it totally up to the artist?

It's up to the artist just remember these comics aren't for sale, they will be given away free the same as the international free comic book day comics so if your printing something really nice that you want to sell, put some of the sales table at 24 hour comic day and do a sampler for free comic day. Any comics submitted must have the logo on the front and at least 40 copies per store.

I'm going to get on to some of the libraries and see if we can get them involved so we may need copies for them, thou they prob won't need 40 if they are interested - fingers crossed and if anyone has any good ideas for promotion or other places that we can have the comics, don't be scared leave a comment, this whole thing got started with a comment on this board [actually both events got started with posts on this board, my very first post here was "does anyone want to do a 24 hour comic?" ]
26-06-2008, 11:15   #8
the Shades

Don't think I'll be involved in either event.
26-06-2008, 17:05   #9
ztoical

Its been pointed out that Octocon the Irish Sci-fi con is on the same weekend, it will be just up the road at the Royal Dublin Hotel. We're going to contact the organisers and see about co-ordinating something between all the events.

Also for people thinking about putting comics together for the free comics day remember these are free comics being used for promotion for the irish comics scene but also for your own work - you don't have to put a massive comic together, if you've a webcomic/longer book you can put a sample comic together with a couple of pages and some sketches.
Advertisement
01-07-2008, 01:29   #10
ztoical

some updated information for people thinking of taking part in Free Irish comic day - all the comics taking part need to be sent to Rob [either dropped into Sub city dublin or posted, contact Rob for more info]

The dead line to get books to him is September 26th
01-07-2008, 01:38   #11
Tree

I'm going to do my best for 24hour comics day. dunno if i'll be working or not yet but i'll defo be around for most of the night.

also, DO NOT DRIVE TO THIS EVENT, unless you have somewhere to sleep in dublin on teh sunday night. or you dont intend staying overnight. and certainly dont drive to cork while still high on teh solventy markers used to colour in your comics.
01-07-2008, 01:42   #12
ztoical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post

also, DO NOT DRIVE TO THIS EVENT, unless you have somewhere to sleep in dublin on teh sunday night. or you dont intend staying overnight. and certainly dont drive to cork while still high on teh solventy markers used to colour in your comics.
also don't be a passenger in said car with sleep deprived driver high on the solventy markers - nor should you be a passenger in said car with sleep deprived driver high on the solventy markers and the pages covered in aforementioned solventy markers sitting in the car seeping more solventy fumes into the car.

[you can see the solventy marker pages here ]
03-07-2008, 20:43   #13
ztoical

some more ideas coming up for both events and wanted to see if I could get some feedback from people. Would anyone be interested if some of the comics for free comic day were made into PDF magazines or if we put together an exculsive PDF comic they could download? I want to encourage the web cartoonists out there to get on board.

Also as the event is about promotion I was thinking about sending a pile of the comics to a few of the good podcasts out there - what do people think? worth doing or wasting issues that could be sent to a comic store?
04-07-2008, 10:51   #14

If you want to add Bobby the Bot to the PDF thing you can.

If there is anything I can do let me know.

Stephen
04-07-2008, 10:58   #15
Fysh

Count me in for everything; I've also been in touch with Brian Moloney, the guy who did 3 Cheers For Mute Ingloriousness and he's said he's happy for me to get a bunch more copies of it printed up to give away as part of Irish Free Comic Day, so I'll definitely chuck a few of those aside for podcasts folks.

Also, I think someone started co-ordinating boards.ie podcasts a little while ago - I'll go and look them up, they might be interested in doing a piece closer to the time about these two events and it would help us spread the word....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion