Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

The Library is always busy.

A Chez Hans offshoot is now running the restaurant there and is very good by all accounts.

Generally there is something on in the theater every week, not sure how well supported it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/ChamberThurles/status/734715717774364672

Joey O'Connor's Thurles. Not much has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Anyone know when the steakhouse in Skehan's is opening? It's been advertised outside the pub on the back of a car the last couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Anyone know when the steakhouse in Skehan's is opening? It's been advertised outside the pub on the back of a car the last couple of weeks.

It opened on Wednesday. Seems to be busy enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

It opened on Wednesday. Seems to be busy enough so far.

Is it upstairs or down the back ?

Is I remember the front of Skehans is narrow enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

macjohn wrote: »
    Is it upstairs or down the back ?

Is I remember the front of Skehans is narrow enough

I don't no I haven't been inside, just know it opened for food on Wednesday

https://twitter.com/ChamberThurles/status/734715717774364672

Joey O'Connor's Thurles. Not much has changed

Is that the same Joey O'Connors that had the large store (standalone centre) in Nenagh up to a few years ago?

From the sign looks like there was a longue/bar as well???? Was there space for all that?

Looks like Musgrave brothers was delivering - fore runner of Musgraves I presume.

Is the pic as it was being readied for opening?

Perhaps wasn't as much traffic given the angle of the parking!

Is that the same Joey O'Connors that had the large store (standalone centre) in Nenagh up to a few years ago?

From the sign looks like there was a longue/bar as well???? Was there space for all that?

Looks like Musgrave brothers was delivering - fore runner of Musgraves I presume.

Is the pic as it was being readied for opening?

Perhaps wasn't as much traffic given the angle of the parking!

Yes the same O'Connor. Apparently he owed money to the bank (I heard there was a protest outside the store at the time) and the supermarket was sold to Quinnsworth (later becoming Crazy Prices) Quinnsworth extended it out the back in the 1980's. Horrible 80s extension still looks the exact same today as it did back then.

VG stores were a Musgraves franchise in Munster and were later renamed to Supervalu and Centra

Musgraves later acquired the L&N brand and stores (London and Newcastle). L&N was on Friar Street where the Tipp Star offices were and later moved down the street across from Dr Molonys/Friary Pharmacy

Yes the same O'Connor. Apparently he owed money to the bank (I heard there was a protest outside the store at the time) and the supermarket was sold to Quinnsworth (later becoming Crazy Prices) Quinnsworth extended it out the back in the 1980's. Horrible 80s extension still looks the exact same today as it did back then.

Thanks for that.

So it was a VG store and O'Connor was the franchise holder?

Ya the building design doesn't do much for it !

WHere it widens out half way down the store - then then owners must have bought the ground/owned the ground at the back of what is now heatons? Does Heatons have any access (not retail just for themselves/deliveries) from the tesco carpark? Or is it taken up with access to the tesco delivery and storage area?

Also where tesco widens halfway down the store does it step into the Bof I carpark?
    Must have a better look when I am down again.
    Probably need a drone to figure it out properly in my head!

VG stores were a Musgraves franchise in Munster and were later renamed to Supervalu and Centra

Musgraves later acquired the L&N brand and stores (London and Newcastle). L&N was on Friar Street where the Tipp Star offices were and later moved down the street across from Dr Molonys/Friary Pharmacy

Thanks never knew where the name L&N cam from!

When did it move roughly?
    And what was originally on the site of the now Costcutters (L&N!) friar street? Just its a big site with large carpark - even though the carpark access (narrowing to one way) would hardly get planning now!

So there was a forerunner of Supervalu in Thurles - I know the town has a lot of stores but think it could do with a really good supervalu that also offered online shopping and delivery.

Thanks for that.

So it was a VG store and O'Connor was the franchise holder?

Ya the building design doesn't do much for it !

WHere it widens out half way down the store - then then owners must have bought the ground/owned the ground at the back of what is now heatons? Does Heatons have any access (not retail just for themselves/deliveries) from the tesco carpark? Or is it taken up with access to the tesco delivery and storage area?

Also where tesco widens halfway down the store does it step into the Bof I carpark?
    Must have a better look when I am down again.
    Probably need a drone to figure it out properly in my head!

Thanks never knew where the name L&N cam from!

When did it move roughly?
    And what was originally on the site of the now Costcutters (L&N!) friar street? Just its a big site with large carpark - even though the carpark access (narrowing to one way) would hardly get planning now!

So there was a forerunner of Supervalu in Thurles - I know the town has a lot of stores but think it could do with a really good supervalu that also offered online shopping and delivery.

Mid 1980s I think. L&N Thurles became Supervalu in 1995/6. Later becoming Costcutter in 2000/1. I can't remember what was on the site but the dole office was beside it where Thurles Kebabish is now. Seem to remember there were old wooden train carriages at the back of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Oops!

Carriages still there rotting away! Always wondered how they ended up there...

Oops! wrote: »
    Carriages still there rotting away! Always wondered how they ended up there...

Must have a glance - can you see them from Costcutter carpark?

Link for this summers sports fest

http://thurlessportsfest.com/

Must have a glance - can you see them from Costcutter carpark?

I think the trees have grown over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Yes the same O'Connor. Apparently he owed money to the bank (I heard there was a protest outside the store at the time) and the supermarket was sold to Quinnsworth (later becoming Crazy Prices)

I thought he sold the place after a fire, and the insurance payout was not enough to refit the shop, so he cut his losses and sold the premises to Quinnsworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Jumbo Chinese still there on parnell Street?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is Jumbo Chinese still there on parnell Street?

Ya, best spice bag in town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Are they ever going to build that new car park

Ya, best spice bag in town

Nothing online about them, no phone number or anything. Heard the food is savage alright.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Nothing online about them, no phone number or anything. Heard the food is savage alright.

I'd say they're still using Lim's number. 050423322

• Advertisement

Ya still using Lim's number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Jumbo is called reunion restaurant now

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

Does anyone know what is going on at ladyswell? One side of the river has been totally stripped of all vegetation with some new channels dug.. Changes the place completely..

Cleaning it up after prevous "tennants" in the area and sorting drainage issues i'd imagine....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Whats happening with the old cinema in thurles? I know its a listed building. Surely a bowling alley would work in it college nights out etc. Not much for young people to do around tipp often heard of people going to portloaise limerick or kilkenny to go bowling from the mid tipp area

It's for sale at the moment is'nt it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Whats happening with the old cinema in thurles? I know its a listed building. Surely a bowling alley would work in it college nights out etc. Not much for young people to do around tipp often heard of people going to portloaise limerick or kilkenny to go bowling from the mid tipp area

I don't think the neighbors in the Avenue would be too pleased with a bowling alley.
    Quite genteel around that road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Apache Pizza are opening in Friar St.
    They've been advertising for staff on Facebook.
    Papa Johns/Supermacs won't be too pleased.

infogiver wrote: »

Happy days

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

infogiver wrote: »

where

Advertisement