Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for subbing work

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Unfortunately with the government forcing all teachers to do unpaid supervision and cutting the hours available to schools for cover there is not a lot out there. You are reliant on certified sick leave primarily and with the cuts to those people are coming to school sick. Our school is now completely using time in lieu as well where you used to get the odd free class. I'm pretty certain our school is using TIL to help plug the gaps for uncertified cover etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Unfortunately with the government forcing all teachers to do unpaid supervision and cutting the hours available to schools for cover there is not a lot out there. You are reliant on certified sick leave primarily and with the cuts to those people are coming to school sick. Our school is now completely using time in lieu as well where you used to get the odd free class. I'm pretty certain our school is using TIL to help plug the gaps for uncertified cover etc

Time in lieu? Never heard of it - in teaching, I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

katydid wrote: »
    Time in lieu? Never heard of it - in teaching, I mean.

It's what our school calls it anyway. My class is gone somewhere so I cover someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It's what our school calls it anyway. My class is gone somewhere so I cover someone else

A lot of schools I worked in last year did that but I still got more calls for subbing with sick leave, parental leave, inservice, practicals, and school trips . It must be the change in self certified sick leave that has brought the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

It's a lot quieter this year than other years. Last year I was working 4 days a week minimum. This year I've only got one day subbing a week. It's very hard when you've got bills to pay. Have you signed up for JSA , they may give you a payment for the days you don't work.

Hi. Would you mind telling me what JSA is?

• Advertisement

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hi. Would you mind telling me what JSA is?

Sorry job seekers allowance , payment from department of social protection when unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

We don't have an actual term for it but we are the same in that if your entire class is gone on a trip you cover the classes of the teachers gone on the trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Ah ok, I know the concept. Just never heard the phrase in that context.

Hi Folks,
    Just a quick question. A sub is working in a school 100 miles from home in a very remote location and spends most of income on accommodation/travelling.
    This sub teacher is offered a position in her home town and wants to start this job immediately. Can she do this? Is it necessary to give notice to faraway school? Can she simply tell them "I'm leaving"?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Just a quick question. A sub is working in a school 100 miles from home in a very remote location and spends most of income on accommodation/travelling.
    This sub teacher is offered a position in her home town and wants to start this job immediately. Can she do this? Is it necessary to give notice to faraway school? Can she simply tell them "I'm leaving"?
    Thank you.

Are you doing casual subbing or is it a maternity leave or such?

There's no enforceable thing a school can do to stop you leaving. You need to look after yourself. However if your current students are going to be left without a teacher you might want to reflect on that a bit.

I could understand why a teacher would pull the plug and walk away like you suggest on a personal level, my only concern would be for classes that would be left in the lurch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In primary, depending on the length of subbing, you could be asked to work out notice, though this would be rare, once someone was ready to take over and the original school and students wouldn't be left in the lurch.

Your friend should explain their reasons as outlined. Usually notice depends on how long a person is employed by an organisation though teaching is probably different. I'd recommend giving at least a weeks notice before leaving (or 2 if possible), it gives the school time to find a replacement and it demonstrates some professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You don't have to give any notice unless a contract was signed. However do explain it and thank them for the opportunity

Thank you for those replies. The school will find it very hard to get a replacement and some students will be left in the lurch probably. This is what is troubling the teacher. Either way, a decision needs to be made soon. Thanks all

What subject is it? Is it a language? Or is it primary?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ari gold24

Sorry for the apparent negative post but is there any indication to say that job opportunities will improve in the near future? I'm in the final few months of the new 2 year PME course (subjects: Business and Accounting) and am beginning to get a little disheartened by the perceived lack of work out there.

It was a huge financial commitment to undertake and I am genuinely not in a position to be unemployed come September.

You might be lucky and get a maternity leave. It's going to be a long long road until you get any long term sort of contract. Business in particular is a very oversubscribed subject for teaching. The colleges never tell their prospective students how bad it is out employment wise. Good luck to you.

Edit: are you any good at maths? Have you any maths credits in your degree? Adding some on would help your prospects (expensive as it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I dont know how many teachers 10-15 years ago walked into PWT jobs straight out of their degree either though. There were more TWT jobs alriight on full hours but I did about 5 years of being 'non-permanent' my self and i know that loads of others in my class did the same. We came out in the early 00's.

It can be a hard slog, and in the case of business and accounting maybe even harder.

It wouldnt be difficult to project how many teachers of each subject would be needed over the next ten years and prioritise entry to the PME based on this.

Advertisement