Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hibernia college

Options
  • 10-05-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am looking at applying for the Hibernia post primary masters after not being accepted to DCU or trinity.
    I am quite reluctant to apply from reading the amount of negative reviews so I just have a couple of questions about the course.
    Is the course worth doing besides the negative reviews you still get the same degree?
    Is the course continuous for the 24 months there is no reading weeks or summer holidays?
    Would people recommend waiting another year to apply for DCU/trinity again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Mary1999 wrote: »
    I am looking at applying for the Hibernia post primary masters after not being accepted to DCU or trinity.
    I am quite reluctant to apply from reading the amount of negative reviews so I just have a couple of questions about the course.
    Is the course worth doing besides the negative reviews you still get the same degree?
    Is the course continuous for the 24 months there is no reading weeks or summer holidays?
    Would people recommend waiting another year to apply for DCU/trinity again

I did the post primary course when it was first offered in 2011. The fact that I was a Hibernia graduate didn't hold me back in any way. I can't speak to how the course runs now as when I did it it wasn't a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pollymv1

There is a reason why it is easier to get into. Hibernia are complete mercenaries, they have no interest in quality of grads only revenue. Their qualifications aren't worth the paper they are written on.

It isn't fair to parents to have Hibernia grads teaching their children. Speaking a parent myself and having worked at Hibernia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

pollymv1 wrote: »
    There is a reason why it is easier to get into. Hibernia are complete mercenaries, they have no interest in quality of grads only revenue. Their qualifications aren't worth the paper they are written on.

It isn't fair to parents to have Hibernia grads teaching their children. Speaking a parent myself and having worked at Hibernia.

Rubbish. All of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We literally just had this debate last week.....

It's up to you OP if you want to apply again for the others. They're all grand. Wait a year if you want, things will have calmed down and all that. Depends on what you're doing at the moment. If you'd a steady job I would be staying in that for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Speaking as someone who has worked for Hibernia also, I'd have zero issue recommending the course. Just go in , get the head down, do the work, and get out. Same as any PME. You'll no doubt meet the snobbery from people who will defend their own course and how much better it was. Sure college are happy to take your money the same way The Institute is, they're a business but in front of house they have teaching people as tutors and supervisors. And I'm sure they also have the odd crackpot supervisors that every college does.

Demand for teaching course will be through the roof next year as every mammy will be advising their kids to go into public sector cos it rains money there or something?

I've had Hibernia students in the secondary school I'm in and they're bang on no messing. Same as one of the teachers who taught my kid in primary.

A lot of people do that course while working or caring for kids so don't tell me they're not motivated to get the assignments in and up to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Treppen wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who has worked for Hibernia also, I'd have zero issue recommending the course. Just go in , get the head down, do the work, and get out. Same as any PME. You'll no doubt meet the snobbery from people who will defend their own course and how much better it was. Sure college are happy to take your money the same way The Institute is, they're a business but in front of house they have teaching people as tutors and supervisors. And I'm sure they also have the odd crackpot supervisors that every college does.

Demand for teaching course will be through the roof next year as every mammy will be advising their kids to go into public sector cos it rains money there or something?

I've had Hibernia students in the secondary school I'm in and they're bang on no messing. Same as one of the teachers who taught my kid in primary.

A lot of people do that course while working or caring for kids so don't tell me they're not motivated to get the assignments in and up to scratch.

I concur with everything you typed there. I did my dip in a university and it was a complete joke. In my year, there were demotions, people 'resigning', people not talking to each other, project not given enough time to work as a result of a person's incompetence Our year were going to put a formal complaint to the university but with that demotion, a strong leader was put in place and is there presently so decided against it. So it goes that the university are no better than hibernia.

I've had experience of hibernia students and would see no problem with them. Even when I did my dip, hibernia were just starting out and the workload, support and feedback was superior to what I received.

It is true to say that there was a snobbery in the past re hibernia but they are here to stay and that has thankfully gone except for a few principals I assume.

To the OP, if you want to be a teacher - go for it. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into ie part time for a few years, lower pay/pension, jumping through hoops to keep principals happy. Make sure you have good subjects, there's no point being a history/cspe/IT teacher as history is oversubscribed and the other two are fillers.

I wouldn't take the negative post to heart, that poster obviously has a sour taste in their mouth so of course will not be advocating hibernia.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

And yet the qualification is fully recognised by the teaching council. I would say that's worth the paper it's written on.
    I did the primary course many moons ago, found is very good overall. Had no problem securing a permenant job as did my classmates. Work alongside many other graduates and to my knowledge none of us have encountered any discrimination.
    I'm actually a bit taken aback that this old debate is still ongoing.....

quote="pollymv1;113411671"]There is a reason why it is easier to get into. Hibernia are complete mercenaries, they have no interest in quality of grads only revenue. Their qualifications aren't worth the paper they are written on.

It isn't fair to parents to have Hibernia grads teaching their children. Speaking a parent myself and having worked at Hibernia.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Their qualifications aren't worth the paper they are written on.
    You've said things to this effect several times and never justified them. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

My only experience with Hibernia is having worked with people who did the course. I can't say I've noticed any difference between people who did Hibernia and people who went to the traditional universities.

I do think it is very unfair to make sweeping generalisations in this case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haven't noticed any remarkable difference in the quality of graduates from Hibernia compared with other PMEs.

There will always be people with axes to grind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

The type of teacher you are/will be depends on you rather than on the college you study with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with studying with hibernia if you are able to work independently and don’t need someone to hold your hand the whole way. I’ve seen useless teachers that trained at hibernia and I’ve seen worse teachers that have come out of Mary I (only have experience at primary level).
    Yes hibernia is a huge financial commitment but it probably works out around the same as any other PME when other expenses are factored in. The lecturers are all working teachers or retired teachers some school principals and have real life knowledge of working in the classroom and school environment.
    I have always found Hibernia easy to deal with the staff are very friendly and keep us informed.
    Plus next year most colleges will probably have some level of online content at least Hibernia are prepared for it

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

'It isn't fair to parents to have Hibernia grads teaching their children. Speaking a parent myself and having worked at Hibernia.[/quote'

I have to take exception to this comment also.
    I have had many student teachers over the years from all the dublin training colleges including hiberbia.
    Some fantastic, mediocre and a few who struggled. The college had no bearing on the quality of the teacher, it is more to do with the motivation, apptitude and personality of the individual. There are good and bad in every college.
    The above comment is completely based on opinion and obviously what was a bad experience working with Hibernia college. Unless the poster was privy to the delivery of the entire course content, assignments, teaching practice observations and exams for each student teacher, then they are unqualified to back up this opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

4 out of 5 posts posting the same unsubstantiated stuff sounds like an axe to grind to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Hibernia was the only way I could work and study at the same time 2011. I was a teacher in the VEC at the time and prospects weren't good so I needed to do the course to give me more chance with getting into a voluntary school. It served its purpose for me. It qualified me but didn't define what kind of teacher I am. I found Hibernia very unaccommodating at one point of my time with them dealing with an illness where I was asked to go back to Teaching Practice a few weeks after surgery which caused more hassle for me or face repeating a year which I couldn't do.

If you want to be a teacher and it's the only option left for you this year, do it. Organise your teaching practice as soon as you're accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

helpful wrote: »
    The type of teacher you are/will be depends on you rather than on the college you study with.

Nail on the head. I've had Hibernia student teachers, Pats student teachers, Queens student teachers. To me, it comes down to the teacher. Get as much observation in schools as you can at junior and senior level - the best way to learn is in the classroom, from other teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Hibernia is the DBS of teaching, but bottom line you end up registered and qualified, and that's all that matters.

Advertisement