Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

saram wrote: »
    Which PME course if any would you recommend to study to become a qualified primary school teacher if you had a very young family (2 very young kids) to consider too?

Just trying to weigh up options and decide if a PME is for me when I move back home after being abroad for a long time.

Hibernia appears the most flexible but it seems to be less attractive to potential employers.

Who told you that?
    Ya sure you'll get some snobby teachers and Principals who'll only consider their own Alma Mater, but if you've done the time then you're no different to any other PME graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

maynooth were very nice and flexible, worth a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Hiya, have 2 offers on the table from Marino and DCU PME primary. I live in North county Dublin so the two of them work in terms of location. I know the course is intense but I also have a young son so would like some flexibility the odd time it's needed. Any thoughts on which might be better? My gut is saying Marino.

Also we had been planning to have a last go at iVF this year. We've had a number of failed cycles so it's unlikely to work but just trying to plan around it in case it did. If I was due say at Easter next year, would it be possible to do the Easter- summer portion of the year in 2021 and then carry on with year 2 from September or am I better aiming to do IVF at a time that would let me finish the acedemic year if I was to fall pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Hi.
    Someone might be able to help me.

I want to do second level teaching.
    I have always wanted to teach.
    So I want to apply for a PME.

However my situation is complicated and if anyone could set me straight, I would be very grateful.

I have a pass undergraduate degree (Medicine) from years back.

I am currently finished second year in another undergraduate course that has pretty much all the modules covered for the two subjects I would like to teach (Maths and Physics).

If I was to not continue this course and apply for a PME course now, I would not have third year (but the modules I have done up to now should be the equivalent of the 10% component of third year modules that you need).

I know the requirements of the teaching council are:
    1. Undergraduate degree and
    2. Sufficient relevant modules for subjects you want to teach.

My questions are:

Can you combine an undergraduate degree in Medicine with sufficient two years worth of modules from the undergraduate course I am doing now to satisfy teaching council requirements.

The undergraduate degree:
    Does the undergraduate degree have to be a 2:1 or will a pass suffice (my undergraduate degree is a pass). I would find it hard to accept that this would bar me from teaching but I want to make sure. Incidentally I have Masters in a science subject as well and if that changes anything.

The modules:
    If modules from 2 years of my current course cover the teaching council requirements (from looking at their website), will this be ok to teach these subjects if I combine this with the undergraduate degree above.

Are there significant differences between the various PMEs.
    I am looking at Trinity, Hibernia and UL.
    Are there any you would not recommend at all.

I notice Hibernia is not listed as one of the PME courses on the teaching council website.
    Is Hibernia not as recognised as the other PME courses. Is it mostly online and if so is this an issue.

Apologies for all the questions.
    I'm mainly interested in settling the first question (combining separate undergrad degree with relevant modules from current unfinished course).

Appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I notice Hibernia is not listed as one of the PME courses on the teaching council website.
    Is Hibernia not as recognised as the other PME courses. Is it mostly online and if so is this an issue.

Hibernia is no less accredited than any other PME provider. It could be a mistake, or you could be researching registration in a subject which Hibernia doesn't have.
    If I was to not continue this course and apply for a PME course now, I would not have third year (but the modules I have done up to now should be the equivalent of the 10% component of third year modules that you need).

For my subjects, it's necessary to have 60 relevant ECTS credits, including at least 15 from third year or higher. That seems to be the general rule.

You should be able to count the ECTS credits at master's level, if they're relevant and if the module title is prescriptive enough. If you did well in the master's, your class of primary degree shouldn't be a barrier.

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    Hibernia is no less accredited than any other PME provider. It could be a mistake, or you could be researching registration in a subject which Hibernia doesn't have.

For my subjects, it's necessary to have 60 relevant ECTS credits, including at least 15 from third year or higher. That seems to be the general rule.

You should be able to count the ECTS credits at master's level, if they're relevant and if the module title is prescriptive enough. If you did well in the master's, your class of primary degree shouldn't be a barrier.

On the teaching council website for maths for example, it says a small percentage (10% IIRC) of modules from third year or modules equivalent to this.

The "modules equivalent to this" would apply in my case from what I have done already in two years in my course.

On the teaching council website for maths for example, it says a small percentage (10% IIRC) of modules from third year or modules equivalent to this.

The "modules equivalent to this" would apply in my case from what I have done already in two years in my course.
    I've never seen that before. Is it 10% of modules or 10% of credits? Do you mean 10 credits?

I've never seen that before. Is it 10% of modules or 10% of credits? Do you mean 10 credits?

Credits sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

My two cents. If it were me, I would finish off that undergrad - it will save you a lot of hassle with the teaching council and explaining at interviews. As you have a degree already, I would try to register under section 3 for adult education - that would let you know what you can register for, if anything. You can get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council for a fee. Registering would also give you the opportunity to do some subbing to make sure that you really want to teach.

Masters don't count (or didn't) to the Teaching Council as it is a specific study whereas a degree is multidisciplinary.

Best of luck.

They seem to mean that it has to be studied at the more advanced end of your undergraduate studies (i.e. not first or second year). If you don't have the 10 ECTS credits from your third year, but you have them from your master's, you should be able to count them.

Interestingly, the modules only need to have been passed, even if that was by compensation. This means that a pass degree doesn't disqualify you, unless it's an entry requirement for a particular college.

• Advertisement

Masters don't count (or didn't) to the Teaching Council as it is a specific study whereas a degree is multidisciplinary.
    I'm curious about this for my own future studies. Surely if I had a language to degree level and then a linguistics master's including that language and its literature, I should be able to count relevant master's modules for registration.

My two cents. If it were me, I would finish off that undergrad - it will save you a lot of hassle with the teaching council and explaining at interviews. As you have a degree already, I would try to register under section 3 for adult education - that would let you know what you can register for, if anything. You can get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council for a fee. Registering would also give you the opportunity to do some subbing to make sure that you really want to teach.

Best of luck.

Tbh, I wouldn't be able to afford finishing the undergrad and then doing a PME on top of that.
    That would be four years of fees which would be too much for me.
    As you have a degree already, I would try to register under section 3 for adult education - that would let you know what you can register for, if anything. You can get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council for a fee. Registering would also give you the opportunity to do some subbing to make sure that you really want to teach.

Sorry for being thick but I don't know what you mean by this. Registering with the Teaching Council you mean?
    Under section 3 for adult education. What is this.

The assessment of qualifications is what I need to do. Who do I need to talk to about this.

And how does registering allow you to sub.

Sorry for my confusion.

I'm curious about this for my own future studies. Surely if I had a language to degree level and then a linguistics master's including that language and its literature, I should be able to count relevant master's modules for registration.

I had a friend who had a masters and could not register. Had to complete some assignments from undergraduate studies. I enquired when the Teaching Council when they came to college one day. They want a teacher to have a varied not specific study which a master's is. It may have changed but I doubt it.

Tbh, I wouldn't be able to afford finishing the undergrad and then doing a PME on top of that.

Sorry for being thick but I don't know what you mean by this. Registering with the Teaching Council you mean?

The assessment of qualifications is what I need to do. Who do I need to talk to about this.

Sorry for my confusion.

Yes that would be expensive alright.

There are three (maybe four) categories which you can register as a teacher, primary, post-primary and adult education.

Registering for adult education will allow you to get a Teaching Council number which you will need in order to paid from government funds.

Registering under adult education allows anyone with a degree to register. It was initially set up for tutors delivering courses in what were VECs (now ETB) where a teaching qualification was not required or could not be achieved e.g. plumbing etc.

Contact the Teaching Council re assessment of qualifications. It's €200 per subject and €100 for additional subjects. It can take a few months for this to be completed.

If you were registered, you could register as a sub on educationposts and drop CVs into schools in your area to let them know you are available for substitute work.

Hope that clears it up. Ask again if not sure about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry for my confusion.

Just on the fees - a PME is 2 years, whether primary or secondary. So if you can't manage that right now, maybe finish the undergrad, get set up in adult education with the teaching council so you can sub, and look at Hibernia where the course is predominantly online with the flexibility to sub on your non-placement days? Additionally, the TUI do a tuition fees loan over 10 years (twice as long as most credit union loans at that value) at a rate of 6% currently, which is very competitive. You'll need a guarantor.

If nothing else, it's the cheapest easy to find out if you'll like teaching because if you hate it and are half way through a course costing €3750 or more per semester, you've lost a lot.

Yes that would be expensive alright.

There are three (maybe four) categories which you can register as a teacher, primary, post-primary and adult education.

Registering for adult education will allow you to get a Teaching Council number which you will need in order to paid from government funds.

Registering under adult education allows anyone with a degree to register. It was initially set up for tutors delivering courses in what were VECs (now ETB) where a teaching qualification was not required or could not be achieved e.g. plumbing etc.

Contact the Teaching Council re assessment of qualifications. It's €200 per subject and €100 for additional subjects. It can take a few months for this to be completed.

If you were registered, you could register as a sub on educationposts and drop CVs into schools in your area to let them know you are available for substitute work.

Hope that clears it up. Ask again if not sure about something.

Thanks.
    One more post before I go to bed.

The degree in Medicine. Surely this would count for something. Would it not obviate having to finish out the degree I'm currently doing. And I have pretty much all the modules needed from the current course to satisfy two subject requirements.

It would seem very harsh if that wasn't accepted.
    Thanks again

Thanks.
    One more post before I go to bed.

The degree in Medicine. Surely this would count for something. Would it not obviate having to finish out the degree I'm currently doing. And I have pretty much all the modules needed from the current course to satisfy two subject requirements.

It would seem very harsh if that wasn't accepted.
    Thanks again

It depends on their requirements and they are not for turning!! There used to be a list of degrees and the subjects a person could register for but I haven’t seen it for a while.

To answer your last question - they are very harsh and it may not be accepted. When I did my dip, there was a guy with an engineering degree and at the end of the dip - he couldn’t register as he didn’t have enough modules for any subject. I don’t know what happened to him, either took on the modules or moved to another sector.

How do you know you have the required modules completed to satisfy two subjects?

There used to be a list of degrees and the subjects a person could register for but I haven’t seen it for a while.
    The list was replaced shortly before I graduated. I'm slighty concerned that I might not be allowed to register, even though my undergraduate programme was on the list and didn't undergo any significant changes. My PME provider asked me to clarify specific details of each module, and the Teaching Council hasn't explicitly promised to let me register (or even commented on my enquiries).

The list was replaced shortly before I graduated. I'm slighty concerned that I might not be allowed to register, even though my undergraduate programme was on the list and didn't undergo any significant changes. My PME provider asked me to clarify specific details of each module, and the Teaching Council hasn't explicitly promised to let me register (or even commented on my enquiries).

I’m also in languages. As long as you have the required amount of literature, three months Erasmus, I think you’ll be ok. I, like my friend completed extra modules in my local university so whatever the shortfall, it can be met. PM me if you want specific details.

It depends on their requirements and they are not for turning!! There used to be a list of degrees and the subjects a person could register for but I haven’t seen it for a while.

To answer your last question - they are very harsh and it may not be accepted. When I did my dip, there was a guy with an engineering degree and at the end of the dip - he couldn’t register as he didn’t have enough modules for any subject. I don’t know what happened to him, either took on the modules or moved to another sector.

How do you know you have the required modules completed to satisfy two subjects?

Ok thanks.
    When I check the modules I have done so far against the teaching council website's list of modules needed, I have the 60 credits each for the two subjects (maths and physics).

The 240 credits requirement would be covered from the undergraduate degree separately.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks.
    When I check the modules I have done so far against the teaching council website's list of modules needed, I have the 60 credits each for the two subjects (maths and physics).

The 240 credits requirement would be covered from the undergraduate degree separately.

That explains that - I didn’t know you could do that. Best of luck. Email the Teaching Council for definite advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerry4Gold

I am currently finished second year in another undergraduate course that has pretty much all the modules covered for the two subjects I would like to teach (Maths and Physics).

What do you mean here by "pretty much"? Would there some ambiguity?

Kerry4Gold wrote: »
    What do you mean here by "pretty much"? Would there some ambiguity?

I asked the same and the response is just above my response. I don't know if it would work with the Teaching Council as they like things black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LornaBird

Hello everyone,

I am from the US and just arrived in Ireland on a Working Holiday Visa (bad time, I know, but it was planned back in January). I just earned a Master of Arts in Teaching from my American university, and should be receiving a teaching license for my state (Virginia) some time in August. I'm trying to fill out the Teacher Registration form so that I can start looking for teaching jobs here, but there a lot of sections that confuse me and it's hard to find any clear answers online.

I don't want to post a huge list of questions here if this is the wrong place for it. Should I make a separate post? Is there anywhere I can look to find resources and answers? For example, does 'Title of Qualification' mean my Master's degree, or my teaching license?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Hi all. I did a MA in History last year (and a BA in History before that) and I really want to work in the museum/heritage sector but opportunities there seem quite dry lately. I've been thinking about doing a PME in secondary teaching but I wonder if that's possible without me having a second subject or even worth it i.e. are there too many History teachers? I did consider primary teaching years ago when I was in school but I've gone off that idea and feel more drawn to secondary.

Hi all. I did a MA in History last year (and a BA in History before that) and I really want to work in the museum/heritage sector but opportunities there seem quite dry lately. I've been thinking about doing a PME in secondary teaching but I wonder if that's possible without me having a second subject or even worth it i.e. are there too many History teachers? I did consider primary teaching years ago when I was in school but I've gone off that idea and feel more drawn to secondary.

History is oversubscribed I'm afraid. I would say it would be very rare to get a full timetable for history alone unless in a very big school.

LornaBird wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am from the US and just arrived in Ireland on a Working Holiday Visa (bad time, I know, but it was planned back in January). I just earned a Master of Arts in Teaching from my American university, and should be receiving a teaching license for my state (Virginia) some time in August. I'm trying to fill out the Teacher Registration form so that I can start looking for teaching jobs here, but there a lot of sections that confuse me and it's hard to find any clear answers online.

I don't want to post a huge list of questions here if this is the wrong place for it. Should I make a separate post? Is there anywhere I can look to find resources and answers? For example, does 'Title of Qualification' mean my Master's degree, or my teaching license?

You might get a bigger hit if you start a new thread. I would assume the above would be what your undergraduate degree is e.g. B.A. (History and English). You would fill your teaching education further down I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

History is oversubscribed I'm afraid. I would say it would be very rare to get a full timetable for history alone unless in a very big school.

Thank you. I thought as much. I suppose there's no way of adding a second subject unless I do another BA which is quite unrealistic?

Thank you. I thought as much. I suppose there's no way of adding a second subject unless I do another BA which is quite unrealistic?

There is. All universities offer evening BAs. Check them out. You may pick up work and do that in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Laurie Fat Thumb

You need 60 credits in the additional subject covering the correct content and including at least 10 credits from 3rd Year level or higher. You don't need a whole other BA. But it would want to be a core subject to pair with History tbh, to give you any sort of chance at full hours without too much heartbreak subbing for years.

Advertisement