Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Grassey wrote: »
    I didn't mind the cycle last night when it was falling, woke up this morning and the 1.5km to the main road was slush and ice. Had to take about 2 inches of snow/ice off the car this morning. Looked alright up until I got to Newtownpark Ave, paths there still iced over, and once I was on the Temple Road a lot of black ice in the cycle lane and foothpaths, main roads seemed OK.

Yep - cycle paths around Blackrock were lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

C3PO wrote: »
    Yep - cycle paths around Blackrock were lethal!

Thanks for the heads up. Saved me from wiping out coming down Temple Hill.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cycle paths were a no go for the most part from Portmarnock->Malahide Road->Fairview. But main roads were perfectly fine. I just took it handy. I didn't feel it was too cold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I stayed off the cycle tracks around Marlay Park as they had a light covering of snow or slush. As I came to a stop at one set of lights, I put my foot down on a kerb and it slipped away from me. The traffic light pole saved me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anyone cycling into Beaumont hospital from the Beaumont/artane entrance there's a big pot hole close to the kerb just before the roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

It's cold as balls out there but the roads seemed fine to me from Firhouse to City Centre, just wet. Expected a lot worse when I saw snow on cars/grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Ditto for D15 to city centre. Avoided the Park as the roundabouts can be bad there anyway, but was pleasantly surprised by the conditions the rest of the way and probably didn't need to be as cautious as I was

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Danbo! wrote: »
    It's cold as balls out there but the roads seemed fine to me from Firhouse to City Centre, just wet. Expected a lot worse when I saw snow on cars/grass.

Cold as balls indeed, but no ice on my route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No ice on the roads at all on my commute in from Portmarnock. There was snow on cars though. And holy crap it was cold. I was late leaving and forgot to put on my shoe covers, my toes were frozen by the time I made it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

No ice on the roads at all on my commute in from Portmarnock. There was snow on cars though. And holy crap it was cold. I was late leaving and forgot to put on my shoe covers, my toes were frozen by the time I made it in.

Toe covers save!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Who's doing a morning commute tomorrow? We had snow here earlier and it's bitterly cold and temperatures for the morning are -1-0. Am a bit concerned there'll be more ice on the roads than any to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who's doing a morning commute tomorrow? We had snow here earlier and it's bitterly cold and temperatures for the morning are -1-0. Am a bit concerned there'll be more ice on the roads than any to date?

I'm planning on it, coming in from the south side mainly because I was off the bike for other reasons for most of the past two weeks, and I'm fairly sick of the Luas. It was OK on Weds/ Thurs/Fri last week, some frost in patches on the bike lanes, and a few iced puddles, but stay well out from the kerb and avoid off-road cycle lanes and you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Debating it. It’s a 27km commute if it was shorter it’d be an easier desicion. I’ll check the weather in the morning, sub zero means 4 wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Think you're out the same way as me (D15), and as it stands I don't plan on it. Walked back from the train about 40 mins ago and a lot of ice on cars already. However, I also have to head out to Maynooth after work so heading straight out there rather than rushing home and then out in turn, so it's a case of multiple circumstances conspiring to make PT seem more suitable all round rather than weather only.

I got to our local tesco around 9pm was snowing a bit on the way in but roads grand. Met a family member inside and was chatting away so was there maybe 25-30 minutes by the time I'd come out the carpark was like a skating rink and asked said family member if there was room for a bike in her car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I got to our local tesco around 9pm was snowing a bit on the way in but roads grand. Met a family member inside and was chatting away so was there maybe 25-30 minutes by the time I'd come out the carpark was like a skating rink and asked said family member if there was room for a bike in her car :o

Shouldn’t you be posting in the Wimp List thread? :p

Shouldn’t you be posting in the Wimp List thread? :p

Na I'll save that post for the morning when I take my wee one to pre-school 2km away in the car and pretend she either didn't want to go in the child seat on mine or on her own wee bike :pac:

EDIT: No looks likes we are walking as I forgot my partner has the car this week to go for training in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

cython wrote: »
    Think you're out the same way as me (D15), and as it stands I don't plan on it. Walked back from the train about 40 mins ago and a lot of ice on cars already. However, I also have to head out to Maynooth after work so heading straight out there rather than rushing home and then out in turn, so it's a case of multiple circumstances conspiring to make PT seem more suitable all round rather than weather only.

I'm a bit further out past Clonee. I chanced it, actually wasn't too bad, stayed well out from the ditches and avoided the cycle paths around Ongar in favour of the bus lanes. Majority of drivers seemed to have a bit more patience this morning although there's always one idiot :rolleyes:. Beautiful morning once you're wrapped up :)

I wasn't alone either, the quays were packed with people on bikes this morning, brilliant to see the numbers increasing almost daily.

All good around north Dublin. Nothing much of note. I noticed a couple of manhole covers seemed to be iced over, but it was hard to tell, you're best off avoiding them even when warm though. It was a lovely cycle in really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just spitting a tiny spit of snow on and off in D9 so far today. the weather warning for the east coast was upgraded to orange this morning, applies to tomorrow afternoon onwards:

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Scattered snow showers later Tuesday and Tuesday night will lead to accumulations of 4 to 6 cm by Wednesday morning. Widespread frost and icy conditions also.
    Updates to follow. Please see Weather Advisory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

just spitting a tiny spit of snow on and off in D9 so far today. the weather warning for the east coast was upgraded to orange this morning, applies to tomorrow afternoon onwards:

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Scattered snow showers later Tuesday and Tuesday night will lead to accumulations of 4 to 6 cm by Wednesday morning. Widespread frost and icy conditions also.
    Updates to follow. Please see Weather Advisory.

Time to dust off the mountain bike again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

billyhead wrote: »

Just thinking exactly the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    I thought it was nicked? :confused:

(Going out to the garage shortly to have a look at my own MTB. I put it away covered in mud and kept putting off cleaning it until today).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

I thought it was nicked? :confused:

(Going out to the garage shortly to have a look at my own MTB. I put it away covered in mud and kept putting off cleaning it until today).

That was the hybrid (about town bike) that was nicked. I got the mountain bike (KTM) on the BTW scheme in Richies. Never really use it though but this week it will see some action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am so excited, the last time we had proper snow it was mad craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

What do you reckon folks, to commute or not to commute tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The morning looks ok, last forecast I checked. Might be sleet by late afternoon, and snow by evening. (Forecast for Dublin, I should say.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

CramCycle wrote: »

Was that the noise your frame made when it hit the ground?:D

Anyone cycling from tomorrow on should be shot!

CramCycle wrote: »

Aye but the year before or after was it 2009 when we had weeks of frost and ice build up was not pleasant, still have my grips for my shoes should the need arise f'd if I was chancing a bike back then that was pure nasty. I recall linking an elderly lady over town to the post office and her not letting me leave till she got me a lotto ticket :D

Didn't win anything.

EDIT: Oh just remembered we've Connor Dunne + Aqua Blue due to ride at Le Samyn in Belgium tomorrow wonder what the forecast for that ? Either way not warm, poor bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

If it's still dry I'm going to chance it tomorrow, I reckon. (Dublin here too). What's the worst that could happen? (No, don't answer that)

Advertisement