Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When it happens, what will we be able to do?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Reiver wrote: »
    Recent events in Texas and discussion on another thread got me wondering about Ireland's situation. How prepared are we as a country for a coup d'etat or a police action akin to Operation Just Cause or Grenada to topple our government and seize control? We are already considered the "bad boy" of Europe, having been a nightmare in the Euro crisis, voting no to treaties and generally being at odds with the wider European community. How long until we are "brought into line" by the EU? And what could we even hope to do about it?

We have less than 10,000 professional soldiers with usually the best-equipped and trained units deployed abroad with the UN. Similarly our Naval Service is scattered with our flagship currently assigned to the Mediterranean. Our reserves are a mixed bag of gun nuts and lads in it for the cheap drink. The Gardai are mostly unarmed and unexperienced with handling firearms.

Were such an operation to be mounted, striking at the Curragh, Haulbowline and Baldonnell would have the majority of our striking power neutralised. A division or two of mechanised infantry with armour support could easily crush our dispersed brigades. Any conventional war is a forgone conclusion. Bear in mind that we do not have control of our airspace and already allow military flights through the country, any of which could easily disgorge a couple of battalions of hardened infantry with ease. We also share a land border with a regional power that could provide access for heavier units.

The initial part isn't that hard to imagine, we've seen it in Grenada, Panama, the Falklands, Aden, Malaya, it's what happens after that will scare us.

What I'm curious is about the aftermath, placing the country under martial law and establishing control. How could we maintain resistance considering we primarily are an unarmed population, trusting to our government to protect us. Would such an occupation be accepted or would civil disobedience and struggle become widespread?

The nightmare scenario sees our security forces operate as quislings and pathfinders for the main occupation force but even in the best-case scenario, I believe things would be grim for the people of Ireland.

Our rugged and wild landscape gives ample locations for the siting of internment camps and we operate a strategic location that could become important for EU/NATO control of the Atlantic. It's the people that could be the issue.
    You started that other thread too??

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

We could all get together and have a bit of an auld pray.......?

I'm not sure how much good it will do but agreed. We need His watchful eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

You have a solid nomadic plan. I like that. Weapons? Just my hands and my brain. I'm kinda like if McGyver, Chun Li, Wolverine and Bear Grylls had a 4 way fcukfest.

I'd be the awesome war child that would have been produced.

It's out of necessity. I'm a reluctant economic exile of my homeland.

The latter I know but the other three? A wolverine is that sort of vicious rodent isn't it??

I'm not much good with my hands. Plus I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill another man. That's why a weapon would do me good for intimidating. I hope God will guide my hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Lisbon Treaty referendum of 2008 proved that Ireland is far from the 'bad boy of Europe'. After a democratic no vote the government held another referendum and told its citizens that they better vote the right way this time or else. They then got the yes result they wanted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod

I think we'll leave this one here. There's a military forum and a Walter Mitty sub forum of it which would be more appropriate for this kind of discussion. Though I do suggest that you read their charter before starting any threads.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement