Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How dangerous is Temple Bar?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm staying in a youth hostel for a concert in June next month by myself thats across from Temple Bar and I'm 16. Is Temple bar that dangerous??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I'm staying in a youth hostel for a concert in June next month by myself thats across from Temple Bar and I'm 16. Is Temple bar that dangerous??

Temple Bar is a drunken cess pit. Not very dangerous, just gets messy after dark. As for staying in a hostel, bad idea. Some of the people staying there are likely to be crazed sex fiends. Avoid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Temple Bar is a drunken cess pit. Not very dangerous, just gets messy after dark. As for staying in a hostel, bad idea. Some of the people staying there are likely to be crazed sex fiends. Avoid

What kind of hostels have you been staying at buddy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Temple bar is fine. Most of the hostels are decent, stay in a single sex dorm, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I wouldn't have regarded it as a dangerous area really. Take the usual sensible precautions like you would in any other town/city in any country and won't have any trouble.

16 does seem a bit young to be staying by yourself though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Temple bar is no more dangerous than anywhere else. In fact its probably less than some places considering the amount of people passing through all the time and most are tourists just having a good time. It has the usual gathering of drunks and junkies. Simply put as with most parts of the city you only find trouble if you go looking for it. At 16 though no matter where you were I wouldnt advise being out on your own in the early hours of the morning and staying by yourself at that age may not be the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Fine in the day. Then again I am not a drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

What kind of hostels have you been staying at buddy?

The kind were I slept with my shoes on. I remember one time in Sligo the place came under attack from a mob down from Belfast. No nobody got ass raped or anything remotely like that but these type of places seem to attract all kinds of weirdos. Another time there was this couple who had no shame about going for it on the bottom bunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

What the hell is a 16 year old child doing staying at a hostel? It would be illegal for you to be there and I'm sure any venue your going to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

What the hell is a 16 year old child doing staying at a hostel? It would be illegal for you to be there and I'm sure any venue your going to.

Its not illegal, some only will require that an under 18 stays in a private room, they cant be in a shared one. Also the concert could be in somewhere like Marlay park, only under 16s are required to be accompanied by an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

its a Sh ite hole but lots of places in dublin is also.

enjoy the concert and dont take the brown acid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Axwell wrote: »
    Its not illegal, some only will require that an under 18 stays in a private room, they cant be in a shared one. Also the concert could be in somewhere like Marlay park, only under 16s are required to be accompanied by an adult.
    It may not be illegal but a 16 year old is a child, any hostel that allows a 16 year old to stay without the supervision of an adult is probably not a hostel you want to stay at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

It's ok, the general is temple barred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Illegal? Please please please show the particular law that applies!

Assumptions there too. Don't ASSume, can make your post look stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Probably no more dangerious than Shop Street in Galway, or any other tourist magnet in the country. Avoid trouble, and trouble usally avoids you.
    The kind were I slept with my shoes on. I remember one time in Sligo the place came under attack from a mob down from Belfast. No nobody got ass raped or anything remotely like that but these type of places seem to attract all kinds of weirdos. Another time there was this couple who had no shame about going for it on the bottom bunk

Probably more down to the mob/couple involved, than it being in Sligo.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Temple bar is no more dangerous than anywhere else. In fact its probably less than some places considering the amount of people passing through all the time and most are tourists just having a good time. It has the usual gathering of drunks and junkies. Simply put as with most parts of the city you only find trouble if you go looking for it. At 16 though no matter where you were I wouldnt advise being out on your own in the early hours of the morning and staying by yourself at that age may not be the best idea.

I call utter bullshit on this. How many people who have been beaten, robbed, raped, stabbed have actually gone "looking" for trouble?

It may not be illegal but a 16 year old is a child, any hostel that allows a 16 year old to stay without the supervision of an adult is probably not a hostel you want to stay at.

Not the point, lets deal with facts here instead of saying things are illegal when they arent or making assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I wish I was a 16 year old lesbian.

Crap, did I say that out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Don't wear heels, the cobblestones would be a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

16 is way too young to be staying in a hostel on your own. It was ok when I was 16 traipsing around the country but now that I am 48, 16 is too young.
    Enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement

Egginacup wrote: »
    I call utter bullshit on this. How many people who have been beaten, robbed, raped, stabbed have actually gone "looking" for trouble?

My point is if you mind your business then Dublin or Temple bar is no different to any other city. Obviously no one looks to get raped or beaten or stabbed but theres an element of common sense that applies to every city, not just Dublin. If you go around with your expensive iphone in hand chances are its going to get robbed by some undesirable. If you go around drunk bumping into people or looking to start a fight you will probably find one. Temple Bar isnt some danger zone any different to anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

galljga1 wrote: »
    16 is way too young to be staying in a hostel on your own.

Well, Frank Abagnale was flying the world pretending to be a pilot when he was 16.

Depends on the 16 year old tbf. Some are mature enough and have their wits about them and some don't.

Abroad would be a different story now but in the same country, I'd say that's fine, especially if meeting friends staying elsewhere when in that city.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mostly ok but keep your wits about you op. Problems are the same as the rest of the city center - drunks, junkies, howiyeahs, beggars, homeless and no police. This is the standard for Ireland's capital city unfortunately. But just be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Doubt it will be dangerous OP, buy I say it will be loud, drunken ejjits, stage, hens, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

I spent 18 months living in Temple bar as recently as last August. It's fine if you keep your eyes open. If you're a bit dozy and don't watch out there are lots of shams roaming the area looking for drunks or tourists to take advantage of. Like most of Dublin city these days there's lots of begging, drug addicts and homeless people and all of it adds up to a place with some risks. Just do the normal things, don't get so drunk you have to stumble down the road on your own at night. There are people hanging around there watching out for opportunities like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

There tends to be a lot of broken glass around Temple bar late at night. I had the soles of my shoes destroyed walking through one morning around 6am (it was bright, empty bar city cleaners).

Wear some good boots if ya can. Also good for kicking if you feel threatened. But honestly I've often seen minors hanging around Temple bar late in the evening - no real problem there. Just keep your wits about you.

Jesus! You must have never stayed in a Hostel!

I have stayed in several Dublin hostels and I can assure you that they're fairly decent places. Of course there's always trouble makers but thieves would be my main concern.

OP, grab a locker (their not always in the rooms & may be downstairs near reception).

Not true. They have separate rooms for under 18s, at least in the hostels I was in. The last one I was in was very clean and well run. There was an entire school soccer team staying there as well as a large class of French teens. Maybe hostels were worse when you were young.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

No where in Ireland is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone who thinks temple bar is dangerous has led a sheltered life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My friend once dropped his hand and had said hand robbed in the throes of passion. Luckily he relocated it after several minutes of distress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

A 16 year old is absolutely not a child. Don't be so patronising.

Advertisement