Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hideous cycle today. Worst of the year so far with wind. Many scary sideways moments :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hilarity as a few head on gusts brought me to slower than walking pace. Was on the N11 approaching Stillorgan when a guy walking in the same direction as me overtook me :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hilarity as a few head on gusts brought me to slower than walking pace. Was on the N11 approaching Stillorgan when a guy walking in the same direction as me overtook me :o

Snap! At one stage I thought the people waiting at the bus stop at the Radisson were making more progress as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

26.12.2013 Cork City Storm warning, water flowing uphill because of severe winds,dark and empty streets... not quite empty, Sagi riding home from work through the storm, I won't be on the wimp list this month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

First cycle of 2014 was my commute this morning - couldn't have ended quick enough. It was sufferfest. After 2 weeks off the bike, and eating and drinking my own body weight in mince pies, wine and pudding, today was going to be a struggle.

My bike was also in on the conspiracy - refused point blank to go into the granny ring to ease my pain coming out of Lucan.:eek:

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It was sufferfest.
    Not a sufferfest for me but I did find myself breathless, lucky the lights kept turning green before anyone I went past pulled up beside me so I still looked like a model of health and fitness. That said, roads were super quiet and everyone seems to be on the happy holiday buzz or the no rush hour traffic buzz so it was overall quite pleasant. I spent most of my commute beside a motorbike which made me feel fitter even though he was clearly taking it handy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ldas it was windy. Blame the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hung up the bike this morning - high winds and feeling under the weather. Didn't fancy fighting that head wind on my 20km commute.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It was a nasty headwind today and drivers seemed to be asleep. Added 15 minutes to my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Having heard the weather forecast, the OH forbade me to cycle but sure, when do I ever do what I'm told......?!! :p

It was a windy one alright this morning but I didn't think it was THAT bad. So glad I cycled though - need to work off the Christmas excess.

Traffic was mercifully light as most of the world still seems to be in holiday mode so that made it a little more bearable. Only saw 4 other bikes on my commute so I assume the 'wimp list' is full of posts today..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

Bit windy this morning. Nearly got blown into the pavement at one point but managed to stay upright. Not looking forward to the ride home and the usual headwind

Spun out on my fixed, ergo the journey home will be horrific tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Out on the MTB this morn in the woods by the Boyne. Windy and proper mucky, fairly well doused! Trees did provide decent cover from the wind though plenty of branches down on the trails. Came out of the woods and spinning back to the car park the road which was only damp 1.5 hours earlier was flooded after the Boyne and the old canal over flowed. Straight through and cleaned the tyres up lovely!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

went out this afternoon thinking the wind had died down. It hadnt! 40km in to anything but a tailwind. I'm bollxed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    went out this afternoon thinking the wind had died down. It hadnt! 40km in to anything but a tailwind. I'm bollxed now

110km of it yesterday, this weather tests the clothing

Lovely crosswinds this morning, the guy who decided to wheelsuck thought better after the two wheels were pulled from under me. i stayed upright, sort of, but the sudden drop in speed seemed to give him a nice enough warnign to back off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Fairly grim commute this morning. Just about managed avg of 20kph. Felt like I was cycling backwards at times. Spin home should be interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Lovely crosswinds this morning, the guy who decided to wheelsuck thought better after the two wheels were pulled from under me. i stayed upright, sort of, but the sudden drop in speed seemed to give him a nice enough warnign to back off a bit.
    I would love one of these guys on my commute. I never meet anybody on my route :(.

Had a strong tailwind, was 12 minutes faster than normal :).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycled happily around Newport (
    velodrome
    ) over the weekend ....

.... paying for it on the ferry back from Holyhead this morning 31.gif

EDIT - Captain said it was the worst conditions he had experienced in 17 years on the Irish Sea

Seweryn wrote: »
    Had a strong tailwind, was 12 minutes faster than normal :).
    Damned fixed gear, all the tail wind helped to do was to make it easier, not faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Damned fixed gear, all the tail wind helped to do was to make it easier, not faster.

More cadence training required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I walked, does that qualify me for this list? My fold up commuter spent xmas in the office, so I'll be going home on that. If that doesn't do it, surely going for a 90km spin yesterday in gale force winds and rain would allow me to join the hard man list?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

First commute in of the New Year. Used the gears normally reserved for hills to battle through the headwind. Looking forward to the spin home tail/cross all of the way to NCD

City to Lusk in 45 min. Avg 31.5kph. A KOM and a few top tens for my efforts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

instinct wrote: »
    City to Lusk in 45 min. Avg 31.5kph. A KOM and a few top tens for my efforts :)

taking it handy so? Any buses? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

16.1 in and 17.1 home. Home involved a 10km slog on the R136 (Lucan to Tallaght), canal to N81, with the wind straight on. That hill at Corkagh Park was unreal.

Lovely weather, if you're into that kind of thing. :p

lennymc wrote: »
    taking it handy so? Any buses? :)

With that wind on my back I didn't need any. It actually felt like drafting an invisable truck all the way home.

Lost a commuter race this evening, first time in a long time, he got me at Donnybrook but I quickly overtook him when the gauntlet was thrown down. I got caught by the red light beside Wesley but he stopped with me. Cars blocked the junction/yellow box. We waited till green but he managed to get round them more agily than I. He pulled away but I reeled him back just after the church, he slowly let me slide away but I kept him within 30metres, then it was 40, then 50, the jig was up but I persisted. I thought I was reeling him in but he continued on and I took a right.

He won this round but I will have my vengence old sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Ha! I've been known to offer someone a lead-out if it looks like I'm going to lose a commuter race. :P

There's that point where you know you're going to blow by the next junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I no longer consider it to be windy. From here on, these conditions will be known as 'normal' and everything else is just a bonus......

Advertisement