Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling rain jacket - BUT with pocket & hood

• 11-11-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Based on the previous recommendations of this forum, I bought a Galibier Tourmalet jacket a couple of years ago. Since then, I've crashed a few times and now one arm is all patches, so it's time to invest in a new one.

While I found the Galibier jacket great in terms of water resistance and how light it was, I found it quite inconvenient that it didn't have any pockets. I mainly use the jacket for commuting, so if it starts raining, I have nowhere to stick my glasses - I have to stop and fumble about to put them in my rucksack, so less than ideal. Also, it would be handy to have hood; I wear those snood scarf yokes, but they would only keep off the lightest of rain.

So, anyone have any recommendations on a very light, very water resistant jacket, but one with pocket(s) (on the side instead of the back), and a hood?

Thanks,
    El T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Sounds like the Rapha Commuter Jacket is up your street. Waterproof, hood, side pockets. Job's a goodun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Own Preference would be to avoid a hood on a cycling jacket - going to be a pain trying to shoulder check, Especially in rain when you’ve got to be super alert. A beanie under a helmet will keep you dry.

Edit - I use a Montane velocity and find it excellent. Great waterproof / breathability balance. Pockets in the rear as well.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/montane-velocity-jacket/rp-prod72789

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

A cycling cap + head band when cold works best for me as a head protection. A hood may be inconvenient in bad weather.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Seweryn wrote: »
    A cycling cap + head band when cold works best for me as a head protection. A hood may be inconvenient in bad weather.

Agree. Possible a helmet cover if you really want.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

+1 for the anti-hood cru. Ive wished for one many times, but the loss of peripheral vision and difficulty with shoulder checks is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

A hood is great when the rain is really heavy or you're going to be out in rain for a long time.
    I ditch my cycling waterproof jackets for my running jacket (Montane Minimus) when the conditions are bad. The hood is designed so that it doesn't block any of your vision (works great) and it can be closed tight enough that it doesn't catch much wind, it's also got a peak on the hood which is very handy. It stuffs nicely into one of its pockets and fits into a jersey pocket when not needed.
    I'd probably go a size smaller if I didn't want it for both running & cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've used two Montane jackets (more lightweight rain smocks really), and if their other products are as good as those, I'd be happy to buy them.

The only real cycling jacket I have, as opposed to a rain smock, is an Aldi one I got as a present. It does have three pockets -- two side, and one at the small of the back, and a hood. I mostly use the hood when I'm just doing a local trip and it's not raining that much and the traffic isn't heavy. It's not bad at all, but when it finally gets wet, it tends to stay wet, while the rain smocks will dry if hung for a few hours.

I mostly use a rain hat, as it obscures your vision less. On the negative side, it's quite a funny-looking hat.

Advertisement