Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

km79 wrote: »
    Rain ?

not a huge amount of rain, but it doesn't take much rain for the day to be fairly crap, yesterday was a classic example of that. No real signs of any properly settled and warm weather, we really could do with one last push of heat up from Spain before Autumn really takes hold in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lashing rain in my area of meath for the last hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Where’s Graces7. I think she’s an elderly lady on a west coast island, posts almost everyday. Haven’t seen her post in a few days, hope she’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

vladmydad wrote: »
    Where’s Graces7. I think she’s an elderly lady on a west coast island, posts almost everyday. Haven’t seen her post in a few days, hope she’s ok.

for kindness. blessings and thanks. still here but not very well and caught up in the terrible Dorian situation. so have not been logging in often. heartbreaking.

we are caught up out here in daily gales and deluges. today's version is ramping up now. as in marine warnings. There have been few ferries or post this week, so snugged in with knitting and youtube in winter mode. waiting for the arrival of my turf order from my nearest neighbour. cupboards well stocked. a perfect place and way of life for an old person!

staying offline a while yet but all is as it needs to be here. stay safe and dry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable morning in Letterkenny, pouring rain and increasingly windy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Nice sunny morning in Glasnevin but a bit cool @ 11.8C. There was 0.4mm rain recorded from earlier this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I found it cold this morning in Dublin. Already needing gloves on the bike. So 2 months this year without cold weather! FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

More rain. Every single day. To be honest it's become just fecking boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

OldRio wrote: »
    More rain. Every single day. To be honest it's become just fecking boring.

Although cold was beautifully sunny in Dublin on my way to work with little cloud but cloud starting to set in now. Are you in the west, or Mordor as it should be known at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

God its bad enough in dublin but how the hell do you live out west if its constantly grey and raining? I mean does it not depress the f*ck out of you?

It has been particularly bleak over the last couple of days with drying as poor as it would be in mid-December, despite the fairly constant breeze. everywhere is saturated. All summer it was humid and unpleasant feeling and now it is just a little cooler but still no less humid. Always tend to associate September with sunny weather with good drying and wildly alternating temps, but that doesn't seem to be happening this time around

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It has been particularly bleak over the last couple of days with drying as poor as it would be in mid-December, despite the fairly constant breeze. everywhere is saturated. All summer it was humid and unpleasant feeling and now it is just a little cooler but still no less humid. Always tend to associate September with sunny weather with good drying and wildly alternating temps, but that doesn't seem to be happening this time around

Amazing, utterly amazing, the difference here at the other side of the island
    You'd hurt your foot here putting an electric fence pigtails into the ground,its that dry and hard
    0.6mm yesterday evening after a warm sunny day that got up near 22c
    It colder today though,much colder
    13.6c
    But its bright and dry in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Amazing, utterly amazing, the difference here at the other side of the island
    You'd hurt your foot here putting an electric fence pigtails into the ground,its that dry and hard
    0.6mm yesterday evening after a warm sunny day that got up near 22c
    It colder today though,much colder
    13.6c
    But its bright and dry in Arklow

Ground is boating here in the south west. We got over 200mm of rain in August.

Things are starting to fly out here; been out to investigate a loud crash. Poor cat nearly abandoned her skin... :eek:

Not seen the ocean - just across the back field - so wild and white ruffled for many a while. Northerly direction. High drama out there. Great breakers rolling in.

Managed a short walk earlier before it was as wild as this, berry picking, but would not even try to open the big gate now.

Some brightness but darkening again now.

We have the best internet server in the world; the dish is on the north, ocean facing wall, and never a flicker in all the gales. small local Westnet folk.I salute thee.

Stay safe west coast folk.

west mayo offshore island

Although cold was beautifully sunny in Dublin on my way to work with little cloud but cloud starting to set in now. Are you in the west, or Mordor as it should be known at this stage?

The sheer beauty of the west is a well kept secret; more to life here then the weather. Best part of Ireland in every way..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have had rain everyday since the 3rd of August now in Castlebar and it is another blustery and showery day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ground is boating here in the south west. We got over 200mm of rain in August.

Have a look at this!
    Took it just now

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1169197904281636870?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful day in Letterkenny again with strong wind, heavy drizzle blowing sideways and visibility no more than a few hundred metres. Around 65 hours of non stop rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 9 1Q2WHYUUU

Graces7 wrote: »
    The sheer beauty of the west is a well kept secret; more to life here then the weather. Best part of Ireland in every way..

Have to agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strong cold breeze today in cork city with drizzly showers every so often. Warm when the sun comes out and then the cold breeze appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blustery

Malin head gusting 46 knots
    Finner gusting 40 knots
    Mace head gusting 38 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

I SEE THE SUN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Mortelaro wrote: »

I'm so jealous of that!

God its bad enough in dublin but how the hell do you live out west if its constantly grey and raining? I mean does it not depress the f*ck out of you?

No. and it isn't. Love living out west and the weather is only one aspect of life here. Plenty of sunshine, even right now with a gale blowing.

PS I decided decades ago that the weather is something we cannot change so also decided I was not going to be miserable or depressed by it but live within it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a dry and relatively sunny but cool day here so far in Meath. Feels much cooler after reaching 21C yesterday afternoon. Currently 14C, a whole 7C cooler than yesterday.

Wilder out here and the ocean a mass of great white breakers. shivers and heading sleepwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold miserable showery afternoon in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very light showers on and off here in meath today in very blustery wind

we had a very heavy shower about half an hour ago, biblical rain for about 5 minutes. Temperature of around 13C, very chilly indeed. I see Knock is only 10C.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Graces7 wrote: »
    for kindness. blessings and thanks. still here but not very well and caught up in the terrible Dorian situation. so have not been logging in often. heartbreaking.

we are caught up out here in daily gales and deluges. today's version is ramping up now. as in marine warnings. There have been few ferries or post this week, so snugged in with knitting and youtube in winter mode. waiting for the arrival of my turf order from my nearest neighbour. cupboards well stocked. a perfect place and way of life for an old person!

staying offline a while yet but all is as it needs to be here. stay safe and dry .

Oh that’s good to hear. I was over that in that part of the world for the Irish open in July, scorching it was. Yes apparently we might get what’s left of Dorian so be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Intriguing chart by Weatherquest showing the chance of anticyclonic conditions (%) for every month in the year with different 30-year averages. This is for the UK but it goes well with Ireland too in some ways I have seen comparing people's recollections and beliefs. September was the most likely month to have anticyclonic conditions from 1981-2010 which I think doesn't surprise anyone, followed by June then August (rather a surprise at first sight), February and April. It's notable though how August's % dropped from 42% in 1971-2000 to 37% in 1981-2010... I suspect this will drop further with 1991-2020 given the frequent unsettled nature of August since 2006.

Combining all the 30-year averages, it looks to me that June and September are the most anticyclonic months (certainly not in 2019 :rolleyes:).

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1169237335780810754

Advertisement