Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin neighbouring towns - where would you buy

• 16-11-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33 Mtk2018

Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
    Budget= 310K
    Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
    Thank you for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

how are you going to commute? Public transport or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Baybay

Maybe cast an eye on Daft or something like it first to see how far your budget will stretch in some of these towns & see if your requirements are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

Never lived in it, but always liked Naas. It's a big enough town while feeling quite quaint at the same time.

I remember driving through it on a Friday afternoon a few months ago and there was a lovely buzz around the place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Kildare: I think the Kildare options have the most going for them, particularly Maynooth and Naas. Both are large enough in their own right and have a bit going on there, particularly weekends. They also both have access to trains, which is handy.

Wicklow: Greystones I also like, but this is likely to be priced similar to Dublin I think. The other Wicklow options feel a bit far away, and their train service is crap.

Meath: the only really place of scale of Maynooth/Naas I think is Navan, which is a good bit further away and doesn't have a train. The other Meath towns don't really interest me much.

Louth: Dundalk definitely too far away. Not a huge fan of Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Peter File wrote: »

Sounds like he is expecting some sort of teleportation. It takes an hour from a Dublin suburb to get to the city centre in rush hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Mtk2018 wrote: »
    Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
    Budget= 310K
    Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
    Thank you for any feedback

If you're happy with a train commute would be in Connolly from Drogheda in 40min. Quick look on daft, first house was this a 4 bed Victorian house -> https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/drogheda/william-street-drogheda-louth-1936686/ for 250K.

Don't live in Drogheda itself but we moved up that way from Dublin city a few years back so in there once every few months. It's a nice town, friendly vibe (apart from the recent goings on in the news!).

Have to say I love it up here, we're right on the coast but only 15 min from Swords on the M1 plus two big retail parks in Drogheda itself

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Sounds like he is expecting some sort of teleportation. It takes an hour from a Dublin suburb to get to the city centre in rush hour

Incorrect.

I currently live in Leixlip. It’s very commutable by public transport within an hour, even at rush hour.

It’s not a bad place to live either..... the past 24 hours excepted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maynooth is my favourite of those areas . It is definitely worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maynooth is my favourite of those areas . It is definitely worth a look.
    I would agree with the suggestions of Maynooth. It's a really nice town and not far from Dublin. I enjoyed my time living there, if I had the money to buy a house I would buy there if feasible. Just looked up there, not that much on Daft on a 310k budget but still a few houses under that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

Maynooth is a nice town with plenty of amenities, and any supermarket you could want. There is one very bad housing estate but apart from that one the estates are all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

70 minute commute - does that include walking too and from the station and hanging around waiting for the train? Takes me about 45 minutes to get home door to door and I live in Dublin 5.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth is phenomenally expensive for what you get.

Very generic housing, lots of it very badly built 1993->crash. Town is full of restaurants, mostly forgettable. Some good shops at least. The public transport frequency and capacity is improving - but not the end to end time.

Some minor antisocial behaviour in some estates and you could end up beside a horror student house in any estate

L1011 wrote: »
    Maynooth is phenomenally expensive for what you get.

Very generic housing, lots of it very badly built 1993->crash. Town is full of restaurants, mostly forgettable. Some good shops at least. The public transport frequency and capacity is improving - but not the end to end time.

Some minor antisocial behaviour in some estates and you could end up beside a horror student house in any estate
    Many of the sub 300k houses on there seem to be in student estates, such as Beaufield. Some of those are questionable quality. It's quite an expensive place to live these days, but it's probably the nicest and safest town I've lived in.

Amirani wrote: »
    Kildare: I think the Kildare options have the most going for them, particularly Maynooth and Naas. Both are large enough in their own right and have a bit going on there, particularly weekends. They also both have access to trains, which is handy.

Wicklow: Greystones I also like, but this is likely to be priced similar to Dublin I think. The other Wicklow options feel a bit far away, and their train service is crap.

Meath: the only really place of scale of Maynooth/Naas I think is Navan, which is a good bit further away and doesn't have a train. The other Meath towns don't really interest me much.

To throw in a few more what about

Wicklow: Bray

Meath: Ashbourne, Ratoath, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin

Don't think there is too much available in Bray, probably out of price range with right beside South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 get lots for that budget why commute so long. Waste of lifes short time and family time

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daffodils100

Edenderry in Co Offaly is very easy to commute from and many do daily. It has all the main supermarkets, excellent schools and is close to many other large towns such as mullingar tullamore portlaoise athlone newbridge and naas. It has an increasing vibrancy to it and is definitely on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Personally, I would go for a 2 bed apartment somewhere in the Dublin suburbs but that may not be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Bettysttown Mornington Dunboyne Dunshauglin you wouldn't get much in commuitable distsnce in Wicklow for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Personally, even with kids I'd go smaller and closer to the city. Urban coastal village apartments within Dublin are going to be very sought after in a few years time. 2 bed apartment in Portmarnock @250k for instance. DART is already there and services bound to improve as the demand is easier to meet with infrastructure already there.

Portmarnock is somewhere I'd buy as an investment if I had the lollies.

• Incorrect.

I currently live in Leixlip. It’s very commutable by public transport within an hour, even at rush hour.

It’s not a bad place to live either..... the past 24 hours excepted!

Ah the old, "its not true for me, ergo it's not true for everyone else". :rolleyes:

I live in Dublin 18 and it regularly takes me 90 minutes to get to work in the IFSC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Portlaoise is pretty good these days. Trains all the time or drive in and get to park and ride easy. Get a nice house for less too. I think the days of knackers there are mostly gone.

• My colleague lives in Co Carlow. It takes the same length of time for him to drive home, as it takes me to get the luas home. Some nights he is home before me. So, if driving, Carlow/Kilkenny could be an option. Another guy I work with gets the train to and from Kilkenny town everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Lad I work with commutes from Tullamore by train, and his journey is quicker than my bus journey from tallaght to city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mtk2018

Peter File wrote: »

Public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

Lekrub wrote: »
    Portlaoise is pretty good these days. Trains all the time or drive in and get to park and ride easy. Get a nice house for less too. I think the days of knackers there are mostly gone.

I moved to monasterevin from Dublin a while ago, I still work in Dublin, and it takes me 40 mins To get to work. When I lived in Dublin it used to take me 30-35 mins In the car. It's quiet here compared to where i used to live in dublin . kildare town, Newbridge and naas close enough, and only 2 euro on a bus To go anywhere in kildare.

I'm thinking 70-80 mins max door to door public transport
    Thanks very much for the suggestions so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

South side of Drogheda, Julianstown, Gormanstown, nice, all professional families.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Amirani wrote: »
    ?

My missus has commuted to IFSC and Grand Canal areas from Dundalk for the past eight years with Matthews without an issue. Her journey time is similar to her colleagues in Walkinstown, Castleknock, Terenure etc thanks to the port tunnel. Wouldn’t discount it.

Aaron15 wrote: »
    I moved to monasterevin from Dublin a while ago, I still work in Dublin, and it takes me 40 mins To get to work. When I lived in Dublin it used to take me 30-35 mins In the car. It's quiet here compared to where i used to live in dublin . kildare town, Newbridge and naas close enough, and only 2 euro on a bus To go anywhere in kildare.

Do you take public transport? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

Mtk2018 wrote: »
    Do you take public transport? Thanks

Sorry, yeah I get the train, regular trains to Dublin heuston. 40 min journey.

Advertisement