Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My brother wants to join the Lions of Rojava

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Meanwhile the US plans on sending in a small group of special forces, and then in this thread we have an amateur who wants to get involved.

Does your brother realise how stupid he actually is, to be even considering this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

He's unlikely to be of much use frankly. What are his language skills like? Does he speak Kurdish, Turkish or Arabic? Forget about his guns, he'll have no chance of getting them through. The Turks (if they even let him across the border) would never let any weaponry past that wasn't going to their jihadist allies. What are needed on the ground there are not inexperienced middle aged Westerners but heavy weaponry & lots of ammunition. If you read/watch anything about the YPG they always make clear that they have plenty of recruits & good military experience on the part of older members but seriously lack firepower compared to ISIS, meaning that they are unable to make the gains they could easily do if better equipped. Your brother, while no doubt well intentioned will not be able to remedy that situation & would only be in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This is why AH is awesome.

Just gonna link him to this thread :)

And the sniper rifle i bought was with an outdated provisional irish driving licence and I was allowed leave the shop with the rifle and ammo, honestly was just trying to see if I could. He was getting it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

davmol wrote: »
    So,youre a Royal marine?,Impressive.

What is the punishment for a marine trying to abscond?

I'm not, and never was. However I was a British Army Commando (same training, different organisation) co-located with them.

The punishment is not all that bad. In the above case, he tried absconding while we were on R&R in California after 2 months training with the US marines. The FBI caught him at the boarding gate, presumably after intercepting his emails. They just let him leave the marines, as they knew he was always going to try again. Better for him to go there as a civilian, rather than an AWOL marine. In the latter case, the UK would have to go after him and drag him back.

People join armies for the weirdest reasons. At least he has some sort of ideological reasoning behind him. Tell him to watch lads getting snuffed on LiveLeak and then decide if he wants to go.
    He's unlikely to be of much use frankly.

He'll be plenty of use. A man with a rifle is fairly handy when you are running a militia.

Advertisement