Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK 1901 census

Options
  • 28-04-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a site that I can look at the UK census returns for free? I've looked at a good few but it only ever has free indexes. I'm trying to find a family that shows on the irish census for 1911 but they are nowhere to be found on the 1901. There seems to be a gap in them having children in and around that time too so I am assuming they went to the uk.

This is possibly the family of my grandfathers mother, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Stillorgan/Yankee_Terrace/92462/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

As far as I know, you can only view the 1881 census for free (in a few different places like Origins, LDS).

Findmypast has all of the censuses in one place but you have to pay. Index searches are free, so if you can narrow down your parameters, it shouldn't cost too much to look at them all. For example, you can put down "birthplace:Ireland".

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Thanks Pinky, I'll have a look at that now :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just having a look at the return itself, the gap is unusual - usually that would mean a couple of babies had died. The mother doesn't mention other children but I know in my own ancestry of a mother who wrote down, 6 children born, 6 still alive and I have subsequently found 3 more, including one who died at 23 years!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

There's some errors in transcription that are obvious looking at the image, but I think this is the family in 1901:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines/Orwell_Road/1296835/

Advertisement