Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Martin Manseragh has made a career out of being listened to purely because he has an upper class anglo- irish accent , he has very little of consequence to say after all the doddery fumbling , ummms and asss and maniacal guffaws.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

when I heard that he was in studio this morning, I was sort of hoping that David Quinn was going to get stuck in to Amnesty International. I see the story was on the RTE website on Friday night, was there earlier this morning and is now gone - just in time to miss the media next week. Story successfully buried by all.

Which story was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

humberklog wrote: »
    when I heard that he was in studio this morning, I was sort of hoping that David Quinn was going to get stuck in to Amnesty International. I see the story was on the RTE website on Friday night, was there earlier this morning and is now gone - just in time to miss the media next week. Story successfully buried by all.

Which story was that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1032309/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This story?

Amnesty management team offers to resign over 'toxic culture' of bullying

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0223/1032309-amnestys-toxic-culture-of-bullying-report/

"Triggering the review were the deaths of Gaetan Mootoo, a 30-year Amnesty veteran who took his own life in Paris in May 2018,leaving a note citing work pressures, and Rosalind McGregor, a 28-year-old intern in Geneva who died by suicide in July 2018."

This story?

Amnesty management team offers to resign over 'toxic culture' of bullying

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0223/1032309-amnestys-toxic-culture-of-bullying-report/

"Triggering the review were the deaths of Gaetan Mootoo, a 30-year Amnesty veteran who took his own life in Paris in May 2018,leaving a note citing work pressures, and Rosalind McGregor, a 28-year-old intern in Geneva who died by suicide in July 2018."

Yeah whats it to do with Quinn though?

• Advertisement

Oops69 wrote: »
    Martin Manseragh has made a career out of being listened to purely because he has an upper class anglo- irish accent , he has very little of consequence to say after all the doddery fumbling , ummms and asss and maniacal guffaws.
    Sorry but this is really unfair.

He contributed enormously to the NI peace process; he has better awareness of the intricacies of the process than almost anyone, and was a hugely useful person for reassuring Unionists that the Republic wasn't out to eradicate them (figuratively speaking).

He's also one of the nicest and most genuine people you could meet. I really think that's an unfair comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He contributed enormously to the NI peace process; he has better awareness of the intricacies of the process than almost anyone, and was a hugely useful person for reassuring Unionists that the Republic wasn't out to eradicate them (figuratively speaking).

He's also one of the nicest and most genuine people you could meet. I really think that's an unfair comment.

Yes, a decent man by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I would safely bet he has more knowledge of Irish History than most of the vocal bar-stool republicans. He can't help if he has an annoying laugh! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yes, a decent man by all accounts.

Nothing decent about hysterically defending his party colleagues who brought the IMF to our door.

Never will be either.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nothing decent about hysterically defending his party colleagues who brought the IMF to our door.

Never will be either.
    well now, at least that's a criticism of substance and I agree with you.

Mansergh's defence of The Party has been highly problematic, and not at all in keeping with what can otherwise be described as his rigorous intellectual honesty. As another poster has mentioned, his writing on Irish History, and on republicanism in particular, is admirable.

His defence of FF policy from 2008—2011, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Harsh, I'd argue David norris has done the above but manseragh was a major contributor to several governments in terms of the peace process, his eccentric personality often over shadows his clear accomplishments

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Harsh, I'd argue David norris has done the above but manseragh was a major contributor to several governments in terms of the peace process, his eccentric personality often over shadows his clear accomplishments
    It's just occurred to me that David Norris is rarely, if ever, on political panel discussions. I've certainly never heard him on one, at least on radio.

For someone so bombastic and (even if you disagree with him) capable of wit, that's a bit odd, no?

If nothing else, Norris vs Marian of a Sunday morning would make for some great Callan's Kick material.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Both lads are lacking in basic cop on unfortunately. They seem to be likable enough on a personal level, but their attitudes towards the economic collapse and pedophilia (Norris) hasn't helped their credibility.
    No amount of OTT theatrics from them will ever change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

As one from his own background I regard him as a traitor and buffoon in equal measure - make of that what you will.
    Lucky we can't hear each other accents on Boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So what we are saying here really is that MF could be anyone at all and the guests make the show?

The stand in last week was good. Brendan something. (I know).

The lung issues and coughing and hard smokey voice doesn't do it for me anymore. In fairness for someone approaching 70 she is doing ok, and will probably berate her doctors who might have a go at her for smoking all those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My word, Des bishop talks such scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

It really annoys me when comedians try to make themselves popular by jumping on this "toxic masculinity" bandwagon, just to get the "well done to Des Bishop for calling out other men #metoo #I'mGoingToSeeDesBishop" tweets. Like that patronising w@nker Jarlath Reagan when he was on with D'arcy last year.

I wish somebody celebrity male had the b@lls to stand up and say "hold on a f**king minute here, I'm not taking the blame for the crimes of other men".

It really annoys me when comedians try to make themselves popular by jumping on this "toxic masculinity" bandwagon, just to get the "well done to Des Bishop for calling out other men #metoo #I'mGoingToSeeDesBishop" tweets. Like that patronising w@nker Jarlath Reagan when he was on with D'arcy last year.

I wish somebody celebrity male had the b@lls to stand up and say "hold on a f**king minute here, I'm not taking the blame for the crimes of other men".

Very true. And we all know the only reason they are jumping on the bandwagon is to “market” themselves and hopefully get more publicity and work

absolutely agree , these media whore comedians /cooks etc . etc .love jumping on the bandwagon of the latest cause because their own work is obviously of questionable quality so their insecurity compels them to seek validation in whatever way the media can offer other than trough their own performances / skills .

Just as I was listening back to the podcast and reading your comment, I heard the bit where Des Bishop was saying that a lot of men feel targeted. He didn't say all men were to blame, because that would be ridiculous.

Nobody is blaming all men. In fact #NotAllMen has been quoted so many times on Twitter that it has become a parody of itself. Everyone knows its not all men. That's beyond dispute.

But we do need to call it out when we see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

By the time we are finished, no one can have any opinion at all for fear of, well you all know now.

Comment is dead now. We can all see through it. There is always an agenda.

looks like the scouts have some supporters in RTE ... apparently a political correspondent is a very active member .
    If Catherrine Zappone was'nt a figurehead of the liberaL Agenda the RTE knives would be well and truly sharpened for her .

The only way to maintain any sort of career in the public eye these days is to genuflect to the virtue signalling mob.

Sad times no doubt.

Roddy Doyle zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Guy on about work attire is painful-mentions his company repeatedly

This lad seems to be completely obsessed with fashion and not whatever his profession actually is.

They do fashion shows in his work place?

This lad seems to be completely obsessed with fashion and not whatever his profession actually is.

They do fashion shows in his work place?

Was thinking the same thing ... way too obsessed with fasion for a law firm. :eek:
    As with Marian's comment re bankers I much rather the banker or solicitor kept their mind on the job and forget the posing.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Was thinking the same thing ... way too obsessed with fasion for a law firm. :eek:
    As with Marian's comment re bankers I much rather the banker or solicitor kept their mind on the job and forget the posing.

I didn’t catch his actual profession.

Fair enough if he is into fashion as an interest but he seems to have taken to another level. Fashion shows in the office etc

Jesus that law guy is a terrible lick ... a whole new level of smarmy. I'm off for a walk couldn't listen to any more of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Jaysus,Marion sounds like she had a late one last night.

Cough,wheeze,splitter,nasal drawl.

Couple of 100k a year for that standard ??
    She sounds like Eamonn Dunphy in drag.

40 major and a bottle of JD for lunch Maz ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement