Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2019, 22:31   #1
imme

New gay bar in Dublin

Panti is opening a new gay bar in Dublin.

Panti was on rte radio's The Business show on Saturday discussing how she got into the bar business.

It is across the street from pantibar and is to be called Penny Lane.

Will there be business for a bar across the street from an existing gay bar.
Advertisement
06-01-2019, 22:39   #2
L1011

Pantibar is rammed the majority of times I go past/in, and is quite profitable going on their public registered accounts. It makes more sense to have another venue near an existing venue than somewhere else.

What is interesting is that the premises its going in to has never been a bar at all; albeit there was one next door (opposite Pantibar) in to the late 1990s.

I would wonder if the new venture is one that doesn't involve Jay Bourke, who is/was heavily involved in Pantibar, and is disqualified as a director
06-01-2019, 23:37   #3
AllForIt

Across the road from Panti Bar? Wasn't there one there already, a kinda bear pub that wasn't officially a gay bar but was anyway.
06-01-2019, 23:40   #4
gmisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllForIt View Post
Across the road from Panti Bar? Wasn't there one there already, a kinda bear pub that wasn't officially a gay bar but was anyway.
Nealons?

Is it it going into where that new musashi has been going into for about the last 2 years?
Thanks from:
07-01-2019, 01:19   #5
L1011

Nealons is still there. No, its not going in to the potential Musashsi site which is nowhere near "across the road". Its going in here apparently.

The building to the right on Streetview is a replacement for an actual pub of old.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2019, 11:45   #6
CosmicFool

Any indication when it's opening?
07-01-2019, 12:07   #7
gmisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Nealons is still there. No, its not going in to the potential Musashsi site which is nowhere near "across the road". Its going in here apparently.

The building to the right on Streetview is a replacement for an actual pub of old.
I never said that site (proposed musashi) was "across the road" I said Nealons was.....

Anyway would be nice to have a new gay venue in town.
07-01-2019, 14:14   #8
ongarboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicFool View Post
Any indication when it's opening?
https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/w...ublin-15634576

Less than two weeks time according to this article. A welcome addition to the scene and great that it's in the same area as Pantibar and Nealons. Definitely a gaybourhood emerging here!
07-01-2019, 17:02   #9
cgcsb

Cant wait, somewhere new. I noticed new bar men in panti, perhaps training for the new place. The new barmen where Irish and friendly, so will be a welcome reprieve from the latino fetishism you have to tolerate in panti. The clustering effect in the area may also encourage further competition.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 19:16   #10
hotmail.com

They will have to make it different from Panti or else they'll just split the market so I'm excited to see what they do for it.
08-01-2019, 21:41   #11
J_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
Cant wait, somewhere new. I noticed new bar men in panti, perhaps training for the new place. The new barmen where Irish and friendly, so will be a welcome reprieve from the latino fetishism you have to tolerate in panti. The clustering effect in the area may also encourage further competition.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The current barmen aren't friendly? I'm getting mixed messages here.
08-01-2019, 22:40   #12
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E View Post
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The current barmen aren't friendly? I'm getting mixed messages here.
No they are not
09-01-2019, 00:53   #13
JupiterKid

I’m not into the bar scene any more but Dublin and Ireland generally has a ridiculous dearth of gay bars so any new bar opening is very much to be welcomed.
(4) thanks from:
09-01-2019, 10:28   #14
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
I’m not into the bar scene any more but Dublin and Ireland generally has a ridiculous dearth of gay bars so any new bar opening is very much to be welcomed.
This is a phenomenon increasing across North Europe. You'll hardly find a full time gar bar in Norway now. I think there's 2 full time gay bars in all of Sweden and the Regional scene in Ireland, i.e. outside of Dublin is almost completely gone. Chambers in Cork is now the only Gay bar in the state located outside of Dublin 1 or 2. There's GASS on Saturdays in Galway which is every Sat I think. Cork has another gay night afaik.

Within Dublin the George(now a straight bar for tourists and working class girls under 25) is the only full time 'gay' club. Aside from that there's a reasonable selection in Dublin, if not in the form of full time gay bars.

Aside from the George you have:
Panti, Street 66, Neelons, The Mezz (Thursday - Saturday only, Fridays are 'sweatbox' 99% male dominant with male only dark room)
And a few parties:

Daddi@Tramline (male only, shares a bathroom with a straight club, which is hilarious at times seeing 18 y/o country lads out for 'the shift' washing their hands next to some oul lad wearing nothing but a leather harness, jock strap and faux police hat. No dark room here but there are 'dark booths' anything goes in here)

Profile@Voodoo and Bukakke@Neon(perhaps Café en Seine after refurbishment) (99% male dominant, If you're not latino or a bean queen, hardly worth your while going to either)

Geared@Fibbers (male only, If you're into leather daddies and fetishwear of other sorts)

In Belfast there's Kremlin/union street which if you are from the south and not rough as a badgers arse, you wont enjoy it, unless you are drunk. Maverick is a bit more high brow but sparsely inhabited.
09-01-2019, 10:52   #15
gmisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
No they are not
I have always found the barmen in Panti really friendly and very quick at throwing out the drink as well.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet