Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your goals for 2019?

• 13-12-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

What are everyones goals for 2019?

Mine is to :
    > Squat my bodyweight (61kg)
    > Build more muscle and weight
    > Practice deadlifting
    > Bench my body weight (only benching 30kg atm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

Didn't have any goals up until 2 weeks ago

Doctor told me I need stomach surgery for a 3cm hernia

I'm 15.5 stone male 6.2 so overweight and out of shape

He told me I can't do the must-have surgery until I'm 13 stone

So yea... That's my motivation

I'm giving myself 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Rinse and repeat of last years goals for me (Ruptured bicep in May put a halt to last year)

140 bench and 200 squat at 93kg (and then staying at or below that weight)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I want to drop two weight classes - down by about 15kg

Get competitive in the IPF

I’m not sticking numbers on the goals ... just get leaner and stronger !!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Compete in 3 marathons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Jax Hollow Pussycat

Compete in 3 marathons

I'm just aiming for a first half marathon, best of luck.

Outside of running 2018 was the first year I haven't competed in Judo in a very long time.. I had a foot injury early in the year then fractured my elbow at the end of summer.

So next year, half marathon and back to Judo competition at -100kg

More swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Injury free year! 400 wilks would be nice but gotta sort out this back first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

More my next goals rather than for the full year, but anyway (and all in comp):

Squat: 250kg. Should be achievable.
    Bench: 135kg. Bit more difficult, but bench has started to move really well the last while.
    Deadlift: 272.5kg (600lbs). Currently trialling sumo, so unsure of when but confident I’ll hit this in 2019 if I stay injury free.
    Total: at least 650kg.

Would also like to hit 400 wilks (even though the IPF won’t be using this anymore) and fill out the 105s more, currently weighing 98kg roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

1) To be told I'm able to squat and deadlift again

2) To train regularly with a view to competing at the end of the year, early 2020.

• I want to start running this year.

The excuses not to go to the gym are aplenty, and I'm married to my desk lately. I need to start moving around more, for heart and mobility.

I can run at lunchtime, no excuses. I don't like running but I want to learn to enjoy it. Motivation is an issue for me, I guess signing up for a race is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Jax Hollow Pussycat

I want to start running this year.

The excuses not to go to the gym are aplenty, and I'm married to my desk lately. I need to start moving around more, for heart and mobility.

I can run at lunchtime, no excuses. I don't like running but I want to learn to enjoy it. Motivation is an issue for me, I guess signing up for a race is the way to go

Why would you want to add pressure by focusing on a race?.

Check out http://www.parkrun.ie/ its a free timed run or walk in local parks all over the country. It doesn't have the commitment or the pressure of a race but it has all the enjoyment and fullfilment of one.

Another great way to get running, and the easiest is to download a coach to 5km app to your phone and that will take you from a couch potato to a easily running 5km in an eight week programme.

Either of those are great for someone who hates running but wants to start.. Parkrun has a great social aspect to it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

2019 is all about the snatch for me, recently started snatching but if its not a power snatch my form is all over the place and hip speed is seriously slow.
    Thiking i might joing somewhere like capital strength and do it right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Keep showing up consistently and get some PRs
    break past a 60kg bench??

bluewolf wrote: »
    Keep showing up consistently and get some PRs
    break past a 60kg bench??

Lol, 60kg? And the rest.

You've doubled 57.5kg if memory serves me.

65+

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

stecleary wrote: »
    2019 is all about the snatch for me

Same here buddy! But didn't think I'd be allowed talk about it here without risking a ban.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lol, 60kg? And the rest.

You've doubled 57.5kg if memory serves me.

65+
    If you graph my ability vs ease of benching, it's basically a horizontal line to 57.5 then a purely vertical line :/ i still haven't done 60 in comp!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you graph my ability vs ease of benching, it's basically a horizontal line to 57.5 then a purely vertical line :/ i still haven't done 60 in comp!!

Sometimes it's more a mental barrier. Found the same with 100. Was there forever. Think i was within 5kg for more than a year. Once I got it, I started adding to it again like a normal person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

1.Remain injury free
    2.Stick to 531 bbb until june next
    3.Try to enjoy training whilst not becoming obsessive about it

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

Get back into MMA.muay thai and a decent weights training programme.After a shoulder injury, concussion in sparring and an ankle injury,i want to have a good run and get in some serious shape.Should have stressed paying alot more attention to mobility work something i ignored over the years.

Need to drop about 10 lbs, about 5+ % body fat and start lifting again. But for 2019 my specific goal has to be consistency: 3*cardio (sport training sessions count) and 2* weight sessions per week. I was on and off all of 2018 and it really hit my fitness and confidence levels.

Want to get more disciplined with recovery steps too - stretching, rolling, sauna, swimming. Not getting any younger, so need to start working on keeping everything mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Need to get back to training properly, have put on a load of weight over the last few years.
    Would like to get back to a bench of 70 and a squat of 100.
    Would also like to get back to running more than just occasional short distances, would like to get up to 7.5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

2017... lose 4st... tick
    2018..lose a bit more and start a weights programme...tick down by 5.5st overall
    increase my squat above 120kg
    deadlift above 120kg,
    bench is dire struggling at 60kg break that in 2019
    above are all for 5*5s (so maybe that's the problem)BW 90kgs

am 43 so don't expect any miracles- a bit of improvement while maintaining weight loss will do me grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

hit most of my goals for last year so this year its

Compete at least 4 times in BJJ, Muay thai, possibly mma (only managed 2 bjj comps this year, because i wasn't doing enough muay thai to get a fight.) Also been doing Bjj for about a year and a half so I want to get that blue belt

lifting, I really want to focus on the combat sports this year which includes staying around 64kg weight so I'm not really chasing any major lifts the below are numbers just so my strength training isn't aimless I'll test my 1 rep max over xmas to see where i am currently.

Bench 95 1 rep max,
    dead lift 150 1 rep max, will be testing after xmas to see exactly where my current 1 rep max is
    squat 110 or heavier

Also getting married in august so get shredded for the honeymoon is an obvious goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I want to finally lose the last few pounds and then go on maintenance / Start building muscle

2018 - went from 216 pounds to 165 through a combination of diet and Crossfit - going to continue to cut till hit 160, hopefully christmas doesn't derail me too much.

Started stronglifts 5x5 in september,

current lifts (5x5)

Squat 82.5kg
    Bench 55kg - (failed reps on 57.5)
    Row 50kg
    OH press 37.5kg (failed reps on 40) - this is my biggest weakness
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 90kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Jan - April
    1. Lose 25lbs by April 30th.
    2. Run 10km without stopping.

April - Dec
    3. Squat 1.2 times my bodyweight for reps.
    4. Deadlift 1.5 times my bodyweight for reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm happy with my new gym the last month or so, been lifting relatively heavy (for me) but would like to improve bench, squat and deadlift by end of January. After that I'll be working on my cardio which is probably my weakest attribute - long distance runs or short distance at a good pace.

When focused on cardio I want to keep the gym sessions going but focus on lowering the weight and keeping good form, doing holds etc.

*Editing this because I forgot to get one big goal in - One arm pull ups/chin ups*

Currently 82kg, I've no goals here as such but will aim to weigh myself twice a week and track it here.

Also....find the charger for my fitbit, moved house in August and haven't seen it since!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

To achieve my 2018 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

To achieve my 2018 goals

haha yep. I myself really fell off the wagon this year in terms of training and nutrition consistency. I'm perennially trying to gain weight and I'm pretty sure I weigh less now than I did at the start of the year, and all my lifts are (slightly) worse. Had a good session this morning and hoping to use the lead-up to Christmas and the start of 2019 to springboard into a more consistent training regimen.

Actual goals for Jan-Feb would be to get my BW into 80+kg, Squat to 120kg, Bench to over 70kg and properly nail down my DL form as it has suffered this year; will likely get a consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

wally1990 wrote: »
    Didn't have any goals up until 2 weeks ago

Doctor told me I need stomach surgery for a 3cm hernia

I'm 15.5 stone male 6.2 so overweight and out of shape

He told me I can't do the must-have surgery until I'm 13 stone

So yea... That's my motivation

I'm giving myself 5 months

Whaaaaaaaaaaat??? My goal is to never get a hernia so. They’d probably tell me I need to lose about 5 stone :D

No real goals personally only to move more and eat less

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

To climb Mt. Elbrus in August and Mt. Blanc in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

1. To complete my first Duathlon
    2. Get back to playing American Football
    3. Bench 100kg

Advertisement