Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2018, 09:06   #16
CantGetNoSleep

Thank you to everyone for your helpful input.

Just as a follow-up - what should I be looking for in terms of characteristics of a new watch ? I was a bit surprised by the notion of "quartz fashion watch" - this was new to me?

For those who say to go second hand - what would you go for?

Is there any value in increasing budget a bit - is there something a bit out of my budget range (say 1500-2000) that would be a significantly better investment?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-07-2018, 11:07   #17
blue5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGetNoSleep View Post

Just as a follow-up - what should I be looking for in terms of characteristics of a new watch ? I was a bit surprised by the notion of "quartz fashion watch" - this was new to me?

Is there any value in increasing budget a bit - is there something a bit out of my budget range (say 1500-2000) that would be a significantly better investment?
Increasing the budget will get you the same watch new as you can get (with a bit of patience) used for just under €1000, IMHO. Sterling is at 89p at the moment, that's probably the best place to look.
Thanks from:
26-07-2018, 14:07   #18
2shea

Quote:

Are you looking for Swiss or Japinese or German. I don't know about an investment piece at in this price rang.

https://youtu.be/RUKNYEi9JfE

Nice omega here that might be an investment?

Last edited by 2shea; 26-07-2018 at 14:13.
26-07-2018, 14:20   #19
OmegaGene

Quote:

The watch characteristics would really depend on what type of watch you like, chunky sports type or dress watch.
Longines hydro conquest chronograph is a nice watch and in quartz can be picked up used for around €600 and after a year or so you would get your money back
Same can be said for a sports tag heuer I have a red bull limited edition for sale at the moment in your budget and it’s a great saving on the new price and again you would get your money back at a later date
An investment at this price range isn’t going to happen unless you are incredibly lucky on auction sites.
If you want a pic of the red bull model I have send me a message, no worries if not.
Happy hunting ( it’s great fun but once you start you can’t stop)
26-07-2018, 17:52   #20
Cienciano

I'd go for something like a Hamilton Jazzmaster day date.
https://www.harveystore.com/products...ate-auto-watch

Or if you can go a bit more than a grand, I'd go for a Sinn 104.
https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/104_St_Sa_I.htm

The Hamilton come in a big range with different colour dials, but the sinn it's either a black or white dial. Black looks nicer imho, different versions here:
https://www.sinn.de/en/Instrument_Watches/104.htm

Some day I'll come home wearing one and tell the wife it cost €25 in argos.
Advertisement
26-07-2018, 19:55   #21
fat bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
Some day I'll come home wearing one and tell the wife it cost €25 in argos.
She'd believe it too, which is what dulls my interest in such watches, personally speaking.
27-07-2018, 13:24   #22
Cienciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
She'd believe it too, which is what dulls my interest in such watches, personally speaking.
The Sinn? I think it looks quality, if I had a grand to get something that would probably be it.
27-07-2018, 13:28   #23
fat bloke

Quote:
The Sinn? I think it looks quality, if I had a grand to get something that would probably be it.
No, I meant the Hamilton.
27-07-2018, 13:54   #24
Cienciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
No, I meant the Hamilton.
Right. Thing is, I change my mind every week on what watch I want. I'd need to win the lotto to be happy
Advertisement
27-07-2018, 14:46   #25
Deep Thought

from my perspective, its prob better saving up a bit longer to get to maybe 1500 to 2K, alot of others come in at the level and you really get what you want.

If you wanted a great watch and bang for your buck, and want to spend it now, then pop along to Stowa or Steinhart.

Most of us on here have had one, I and many still do. I doubt anyone would complain about them.

But, you could also go for the Seiko Divers like the SKX007, forum favourite, great watch, highly regarded and would leave you plenty left over to buy something else.

DT
27-07-2018, 14:48   #26
Deep Thought

Quote:
The problem I have found with Sinn..is moving it on. I had great difficulty. not a problem if you keep em though.
27-07-2018, 15:51   #27
Cienciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
The problem I have found with Sinn..is moving it on. I had great difficulty. not a problem if you keep em though.
Do you sell in Ireland only or abroad? They seem to have a bigger following outside ireland
30-07-2018, 09:39   #28
Deep Thought

Quote:
Do you sell in Ireland only or abroad? They seem to have a bigger following outside ireland
I traded it on TZ, alot of re-sellers wouldn't take it.

DT
Thanks from:
01-08-2018, 09:59   #29
oxocube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaGene View Post
The watch characteristics would really depend on what type of watch you like, chunky sports type or dress watch.
Longines hydro conquest chronograph is a nice watch and in quartz can be picked up used for around €600 and after a year or so you would get your money back
Was in a Jewelers yesterday and seen a quartz Hydroconquest for €400 with box. Looked brand new. Knew it was a bargain but didn't try it on as we were looking at wedding rings and didn't want to piss the missus off.
01-08-2018, 11:34   #30
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxocube View Post
Was in a Jewelers yesterday and seen a quartz Hydroconquest for €400 with box. Looked brand new. Knew it was a bargain but didn't try it on as we were looking at wedding rings and didn't want to piss the missus off.
Seems like a good price, where was that?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion