Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weighing up IOTA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

This is an excellent summary of the status of the IOTA project and sets out what needs to happen next.

Status Q - The IOTA Forecast

Still have not bought in but I think there's no immediate rush. This is going to be a slow burner. Watching intently from the sidelines for now. Getting the COO decentralised will be a major milestone. On scalability there seems to be an acknowledgement that there are problems to be overcome there yet - until economic clustering is brought in to play.

I figure I'll bail in in a few months. Would be a plus point if Ledger Nano is fully supported by then (and I'm still speculating on one final major shunt downwards below $5k on BTC to clear out retail 'investors' before the institutional money comes in...which of course has implications for all other coins).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

hottipper wrote: »

Iota is being used as the platform for this smart grid and future network trials? Any link to that amigo as it’s very much news to me? Iota is a complete laughing stock of a technology amongst cryptographers and security experts. I hope this isn’t one of these classic crypto news stories where they turn up at the same conference A’s Microsoft/Siemens/European Union/NASA and make some vague twitter post about a ‘partnership’. Then dump their coins after the price hike to their loyal and gormless ‘fans’.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Any link to that amigo as it’s very much news to me?

News to you perhaps Johnny, a cursory look with Google shows its well publicised,

https://www.bitrates.com/news/p/eu-grants-iota-foundation-23-million-for-smart-city-project-cityxchange

https://blog.iota.org/green-light-from-the-eu-commission-for-iota-and-the-european-smart-city-consortium-cityxchange-f7928aef33ac

https://cryptoglobalist.com/2018/07/18/qubic-project-and-cityexchange-partnership-will-push-iota-miota-to-3-mark-in-2018-heres-why/
    Iota is a complete laughing stock of a technology amongst cryptographers and security experts. I hope this isn’t one of these classic crypto news stories where they turn up at the same conference A’s Microsoft/Siemens/European Union/NASA and make some vague twitter post about a ‘partnership’. Then dump their coins after the price hike to their loyal and gormless ‘fans’.

Sorry Johnny, but this seem to be just another dose of your vitriolic and entirely empty rhetoric.

@smacl: amazing the info a Google search will throw up. :-)

Nice to see the Iota Foundation actively recruiting talented people week on week also.

• Advertisement

All 3 links contain materially false information. This smart city initiative is part of Horizon 2020 - an EU lead r and d programme. IOTA are entitled to apply for funding as part of this, but are100% not leading this.

I’ll follow up on this tomorrow with the relevant links from sources that aren’t iota themselves, or clickbait crypto sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Oh dont tease like that Johnny you'll have us all on the edge of our seat for the night now

Just ignore - it's yet another attempt at disruption of a genuine discussion of a topic. Nobody said anything about iota 'leading' anything with regard to that project. The individual can have a deep and (un)meaningful discussion with himself about who's leading what because nobody brought up the matter of leadership. Others are involved - and are using IOTA as part of that. The IOTA Foundation are a tad busy with other things themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

Iota is being used as the platform for this smart grid and future network trials? Any link to that amigo as it’s very much news to me? Iota is a complete laughing stock of a technology amongst cryptographers and security experts. I hope this isn’t one of these classic crypto news stories where they turn up at the same conference A’s Microsoft/Siemens/European Union/NASA and make some vague twitter post about a ‘partnership’. Then dump their coins after the price hike to their loyal and gormless ‘fans’.

https://blog.iota.org/green-light-from-the-eu-commission-for-iota-and-the-european-smart-city-consortium-cityxchange-f7928aef33ac
    yeah its an r and d project but thats how it gets started still early days, hard to migrate off a platform once its in place, i just posted an example of blockchain projects in ireland which i think is good to see.

i just posted an example of blockchain projects in ireland which i think is good to see.

It is good to see - thanks for posting.

• Advertisement

yeah its an r and d project but thats how it gets started still early days, hard to migrate off a platform once its in place, i just posted an example of blockchain projects in ireland which i think is good to see.

I was at a conference a couple of months ago (primarily geospatial) and ESB and OSI are both presented on use of blockchain going forward.

smacl wrote: »
    I was at a conference a couple of months ago (primarily geospatial) and ESB and OSI are both presented on use of blockchain going forward.

Not trying to put you on the spot dude, but which conference? I’d be very surprised if companies aren’t looking at blockchain as a tech - along with things like AI, ML, IIOT etc. I’d be eating my tie in mirth if they were looking at implementing something like IOTA as part of it.
    I’ve taken a look at the Horizon 2020 submissions this morning. IOTA appear to have spent more time on their website telling people they are involved than actually submitting expression of interest. All fur coat and no knickers.

Vice Chairman of Airbus Group Joins IOTA Advisory Board.

Current vice chairman of Airbus Group, Hodžić , joins the IOTA advisory Board - alongside Volkswagen Groups Chief Digital Officer, Johann Jungwirth. Dr. Rolf Werner - Head of Central Europe at Fujitsu - took up a roll with the IOTA Foundation in April which involves him overseeing IOTA business in Germany, Austria & Switzerland.

Large industrial players are taking note of the potential of IOTA whilst IOTA themselves acknowledge that collaboration with industry is the way to go in the further development and application of IOTA technology.

Not trying to put you on the spot dude, but which conference? I’d be very surprised if companies aren’t looking at blockchain as a tech - along with things like AI, ML, IIOT etc. I’d be eating my tie in mirth if they were looking at implementing something like IOTA as part of it.
    I’ve taken a look at the Horizon 2020 submissions this morning. IOTA appear to have spent more time on their website telling people they are involved than actually submitting expression of interest. All fur coat and no knickers.

Survey Ireland 2018. Conor Cooney and Paul Moran of ESBI gave one of the talks, including "Integrating Blockchain technology with GeoUnderground allows us to provide a seamless sharing of constantly updated locational data and status of each asset and each contract along with the verification and history of each piece of equipment, pipeline and property status, via the cloud". James Kavanagh of the RICS talked about use of blockchain with regards to ILMS. Dr John McCarthy of Arup discussed use of blockchain in relation to autonomous vehicles.

While none of these specifically discussed IOTA, all are looking at blockchain in heavily IOT based contexts (i.e. mobile, out-doors, utilising and array of sensors to monitor resource use). IOTA seems like the logical choice here as the principal IOT focussed blockchain that is gaining traction in these markets.

Not sure what exactly has you eating your tie with mirth here Johnny, are you suggesting that large companies looking to implement blockchain across IOT are not looking at IOTA or there is a better candidate for this task? Perhaps you could enlighten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Fujitsu are the tech leads for Horizon2020 & IOTA are firmly rammed up Fujitsu's hole - i'm not sure what you're not getting Johnny? Part of this project is about streamlining renewable industries while expanding their base and collecting masses of data through the IoT - this is precisely IOTA's wheelhouse.

Some more movement with intent to have the coordinator removed once and for all. https://coordicide.iota.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. Does IOTA stand for 'Internet of Things Association'? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. Does IOTA stand for 'Internet of Things Association'? Thanks.

Internet of Things Application

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

That's funny that he said that specifically if it was comefrombeyond, because I definitely remember him explaining 'Application' or 'Applications' to people a while back. 'Apocalypse' seems like one of his memester replies.

Could be both to his mind, 'Apocalypse' is definitely a harder sell to businesses.

• Advertisement

So I've not gotten 3 possibilities:
    • Internet of Things Apocalypse
    • Internet of Things Application(s)
    • Internet of Things Association

So I've not gotten 3 possibilities:
    • Internet of Things Apocalypse
    • Internet of Things Application(s)
    • Internet of Things Association

Internet of Things Apostasy
    Internet of Things Allegedly
    Internet of Things Alchemy
    Internet of Things Abz-from-5ive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads is IOTX a genuine rival to IOTA.

Would these be the two main competitors in the Internet of Things space

Has it's obnoxious partisan fanboys like any other project but I like how the IOTA Foundation is going about its business.

Latest Collaboration:
    IOTA, Dell and Linux Foundation collaborate to rate the trustworthiness of data

IOTA will release their latest version of the Trinity wallet shortly. It will offer the ability to purchase IOTA directly via the wallet - not requiring use of a crypto exchange.

https://twitter.com/Vrom14286662/status/1194365801194766336/photo/1

70 page analysis on IOTA provided by market strategy and research company, Fundstrat.

LINK

70 page analysis on IOTA provided by market strategy and research company, Fundstrat.

LINK

Paid for by IOTA.

I have the unmentionable one on ignore list. However, someone tells me he's pointing out that Fundstrat's report is paid for by IOTA.

That's transparently disclosed in the report. Secondly, McKinsey, Gartner, Fundstrat - these guys don't carry out research without it being commissioned and paid for. There's nothing new or out of the ordinary here. Furthermore, if they don't retain objectivity in the production of said research and subsequent report, their credibility is shot.

So I'd encourage critique to come from the point of view of spelling out specifically what's inaccurate in the report. I'd be fascinated to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

IOTA launched their beta non coordinator network. Getting rid of CWB . They do seem to be making solid progress. One to have a bit of investment in I believe.
    They also dropped the stupid jinn hardware idea which was never realistic and they are focusing on binary.
    Basically they seem to be getting their **** together.

• Advertisement

maninasia wrote: »
    IOTA launched their beta non coordinator network. Getting rid of CWB . They do seem to be making solid progress. One to have a bit of investment in I believe.
    They also dropped the stupid jinn hardware idea which was never realistic and they are focusing on binary.
    Basically they seem to be getting their **** together.

The CFB saga has been unfortunate. It smacks of unprofessionalism - albeit by all accounts he is a very talented individual. It's best that he has parted ways if they can't all get along.

I don't think it's so much that they have dropped trinary and JINN. They're still interested in pursuing that. However, I guess this is where the realism is kicking in. They need to develop for binary based systems to establish actual use now.

I think it's very interesting to watch the progression of a project like this. From the early days when they made many mistakes with regard to communication and over-promising. From Sønstebø getting into flame wars, etc.

They've moved away from that. Going down the standarisation track is well worthwhile - alongside continuous development in terms of partnerships/collaborations.

They need to get the coordinator dropped for good. If they can execute on that, then the project looks promising.

Advertisement