Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Ironman in cork next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

nice work mapping that out, used it myself for a tilt at the lap last monday.

for any who slavishly follows their gps, worth noting the couple of presumeably accidental wrong turn/u-turn combos. and did you actually go up that rough track through a farm at monagoul??? i just stayed on the main road and rejoined a few hundred metres later.

Yip probable a few mistakes.its awkward enough to draw out
    Was not 100% sure on roads around there so a couple of attempts made there.
    If yours better u should put the link up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Anyone doing the Cork IM might be interested in this- Hardman are announcing a new race tomorrow I guess targeted as a warm-up race. A half distance on the sheeps head peninsula in west cork. Swim bantry bay, cycle and run on the peninsula. May 25th at 9am. First 99 entries at 99euros.

(I've no connection with either event just thought people might be interested)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Anyone doing the Cork IM might be interested in this- Hardman are announcing a new race tomorrow I guess targeted as a warm-up race. A half distance on the sheeps head peninsula in west cork. Swim bantry bay, cycle and run on the peninsula. May 25th at 9am. First 99 entries at 99euros.

(I've no connection with either event just thought people might be interested)

Same weekend as Lough Cutra half as well. No doubt anything around Bantry will be tough, get the hiking boots on haha but hardman seem to be putting on great events, they find hills and put a race there. I'm awful at climbing on the bike so the events scare me and have yet to do any, but I hear good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

nok2008 wrote: »
    Yip probable a few mistakes.its awkward enough to draw out
    Was not 100% sure on roads around there so a couple of attempts made there.
    If yours better u should put the link up

got this from someone else might be better than mine
    https://www.strava.com/routes/13869894

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

I wonder will there be a weekly group cycle on the route soon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

jnk883 wrote: »
    Same weekend as Lough Cutra half as well. No doubt anything around Bantry will be tough, get the hiking boots on haha but hardman seem to be putting on great events, they find hills and put a race there. I'm awful at climbing on the bike so the events scare me and have yet to do any, but I hear good things.

i am not sure if thats too correct while the waterville half is hilly, both the current full and the half hardman would be easier than the dot branded counterpart ( 1200m alitmeter hardman full 1750 m cork i dont know for halfs it might be close but hardman course flows better.

they are honest courses but nothing a beginner cant do , and the full has the hills at the beginning and then for last 90 k its flat and i guess 8 times out of 10 times tailwind which actually makes for quite a pleasant ride home.

i imagine IM cork will flow nicer then IM uk but if the 1740 m elevation is correct its actually very close to IM uk and even bmc struggles to go sub 5 in uk.

peter kern wrote: »
    i am not sure if thats too correct while the waterville half is hilly, both the current full and the half hardman would be easier than the dot branded counterpart ( 1200m alitmeter hardman full 1750 m cork i dont know for halfs it might be close but hardman course flows better.

they are honest courses but nothing a beginner cant do , and the full has the hills at the beginning and then for last 90 k its flat and i guess 8 times out of 10 times tailwind which actually makes for quite a pleasant ride home.

i imagine IM cork will flow nicer then IM uk but if the 1740 m elevation is correct its actually very close to IM uk and even bmc struggles to go sub 5 in uk.

Not too sure what you mean by "that is not too correct". I have talked to many people who did waterville and they have said it is the hardest they had ever done. And they are people who have full and half races around Europe done. I think it is the quality of the roads that make it feel even harder. It has about 1300m elevation

None of the hardman courses would be considered flat, which is what I was pointing out. And that is what they are going for and they are successful with that.
    Ironman branded half only changed this year, before that it was flatter and I'm only giving my own opinion in that a hilly bike doesn't suit me so it would put me off signing up for Hardman/Ironman 70.3. And that is what most half distances seem to be going for now. (not just in Ireland)I don't mind hills on the run and if I could put time into the bike I'd improve but only so many hours in the day.

I know the Cork course and Windmill Hill will be torture so early in the race. The toughest section will be surely be the gradual climb from Midleton to the right turn back to Youghal. Almost 300m climbing in that 25km section, second time round it will definitely be felt.

Anyway, I haven't signed up for any, and will continue to work on the bike before I hand my money over for anything over Olympic. (I have done 2 half distances already, one hilly/one not)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I know the Cork course and Windmill Hill will be torture so early in the race. The toughest section will be surely be the gradual climb from Midleton to the right turn back to Youghal. Almost 300m climbing in that 25km section, second time round it will definitely be felt.

Anyway, I haven't signed up for any, and will continue to work on the bike before I hand my money over for anything over Olympic. (I have done 2 half distances already, one hilly/one not)

The course is fine in terms of hills as in when you come back down there isn't very many sharp corners killing your speed as you gain the time back. The best approach would be to spin the bike route both up and down the hills i.e don't coast and take a break.

The windmill hill is very steep but you'd be fresh and fit on race day and an out of the saddle heave will get up no problem. Second time round it will hurt but it's sharp but short-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Nugget80 wrote: »
    Hi all. I've signed up but looking for a bit of advice.

Currently focusing on Dublin marathon and then plan on focusing on this in December.

Plan is to include 2no. 2k swims and a 40. - 50km on a Saturday instead of the run in my program. I'll have my long run then on a Sunday along with the usual 3 runs during the week.

My question is when should I focus on the IM as I don't want to burn our etc.

I've signed up for DCM. Yet to sign up for the IM, but I'm only trying to think of reasons not to at this point. So more than likely, I'll be doing the very same thing.

I'm not sure where your worry of burnout is coming from, but there's plenty of time between the two races to get in top shape for both, so you shouldn't be concerned about it.

When to focus on the IM really depends on what you mean by "focus". For anything from 12-18 weeks before the race, you should be committed to consistent training and the repetitively focused sessions that go with such a training block. But you don't want to be starting that specific 12-18 week block from scratch either. After the marathon, take a 2/3 week break from structured training. Then you'll be training to train for a few months, before you beginning training to race. It's hard to say anything more specific than that without you providing more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Not too sure what you mean by "that is not too correct". I have talked to many people who did waterville and they have said it is the hardest they had ever done. And they are people who have full and half races around Europe done. I think it is the quality of the roads that make it feel even harder. It has about 1300m elevation

None of the hardman courses would be considered flat, which is what I was pointing out. And that is what they are going for and they are successful with that.
    Ironman branded half only changed this year, before that it was flatter and I'm only giving my own opinion in that a hilly bike doesn't suit me so it would put me off signing up for Hardman/Ironman 70.3. And that is what most half distances seem to be going for now. (not just in Ireland)I don't mind hills on the run and if I could put time into the bike I'd improve but only so many hours in the day.

by not too sure i mean that personally i see it differently. but i can also see where you are coming from for the half .

the full hardman is defo not hilly ( not flat either but still flatish its about the same climbing as roth which is considert very fast ,with the climbing in the hardman only in the first 90 k unlike rothe where its spread over 2 rounds)

we are totally agreed on the road conditons in irish races but still marbella barcelona Immenstad gerander and many more halfs i can think of are a good bit harder. and i would think the waterville half is by far the hardest hardman race in the series . but still non of the climbs are as tough as the ones in dublin 70.3 .

or in other words hardman half is 100% tt bike (if i rember corectly i adjusted bike positon only very little i thin i added 5 mm in spacer and put saddle a tiny bit back for waterville ) in my mind for dublin 70.3 i am not 100% sure ( i would still do it on tt bike with mix of tt and road bike position and i would change my gearing for it , someting that was not required for waterville. 39 x 23 was fine for me for dun laoghaire i might even put a 28 on.

if one could not do either hardman waterville or dun laoghaire they would be very well advised to really have a good thought about cork

and you are obviously smart about that which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 madasken

Drove the Ironman cycle leg yesterday - someone has kindly marked the route with the IM symbol in red with arrows. This is painted on the road.
    Agree with what has been said about the route so far.
    Train well and it will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Twinkles

madasken wrote: »
    Drove the Ironman cycle leg yesterday - someone has kindly marked the route with the IM symbol in red with arrows. This is painted on the road.
    Agree with what has been said about the route so far.
    Train well and it will be fine

Would you consider it a tough/hilly/technical course??? Are the roads as bad as everyone says??

Haven’t signed up yet. Seriously considering it- but the cycle seems to be getting a bit of bad press.

I’m not afraid of a FEW hills!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 madasken

Some of the hills would be considered tough - but then you have to earn the right to be called an Ironman!!! and if you're not afraid of them then go for it!
    Few technical down hills.
    Overall I think it will be an enjoyable enough cycle once you have the work put in.

Parts of the roads, as previous posts mentioned, are in woeful condition but these will have to be repaired.

I'd recommend driving the course if you can, if you are still undecided. Or else just bite the bullet and register - sometimes the unknown is better

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Twinkles

madasken wrote: »
    Some of the hills would be considered tough - but then you have to earn the right to be called an Ironman!!! and if you're not afraid of them then go for it!
    Few technical down hills.
    Overall I think it will be an enjoyable enough cycle once you have the work put in.

Parts of the roads, as previous posts mentioned, are in woeful condition but these will have to be repaired.

I'd recommend driving the course if you can, if you are still undecided. Or else just bite the bullet and register - sometimes the unknown is better

Just registered!!!

Will definitely get down a few times and cycle the route!!! Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Prob going to cycle one lap of the course soon (90k). Not overly familiar with the route, would it be clearly marked or would I need to know every turn intimately before starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Do people expect this to sell out? And when..?

It's a long-term goal to do a full IM and this is tempting. Not sure if I'd be ready for June 2019 though, might be best to see how the Winter training goes and make a call around Feb... if it doesn't sell out before then.

Did two half IMs in 2016 but backed off in 2017. Started ramping up again this year with the Sheephaven Half in June but dropped out after the bike with the heat that week (got sick on the bike, couldn't keep water down and came in very dehydrated). After that experience I want to avoid a hot location for a full IM so Cork may actually be a good option, ignoring the odd heat wave.

Cork in 2020 would probably suit best but this could end up being a once-off like Challenge Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

J o e wrote: »
    Do people expect this to sell out? And when..?

It's a long-term goal to do a full IM and this is tempting. Not sure if I'd be ready for June 2019 though, might be best to see how the Winter training goes and make a call around Feb... if it doesn't sell out before then.

Did two half IMs in 2016 but backed off in 2017. Started ramping up again this year with the Sheephaven Half in June but dropped out after the bike with the heat that week (got sick on the bike, couldn't keep water down and came in very dehydrated). After that experience I want to avoid a hot location for a full IM so Cork may actually be a good option, ignoring the odd heat wave.

Cork in 2020 would probably suit best but this could end up being a once-off like Challenge Galway.
    From the interest down here I think it will ultimately sell out. A lot of ppl will wait and see how the winter goes.

Having said that, you'll get plenty of warning as the different price categories sell out so you won't miss out all of a sudden.

They've signed a 3 year contract for youghal so it won't be a one off.

They've signed a 3 year contract for youghal so it won't be a one off.

Interesting, didn't know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Interesting, didn't know this.

Did the same with Tenby in Wales i.e. 3 year contract. It's now an annual event since the first race in 2011.

Drove part of the course this evening, from Midleton until you turn right for Youghal. Some long gradual pulls on this section but followed by steep technical descent. The roads are in awful condition, hopefully the council will sort them but I can't see a complete resurfacing being done, more likely just patching of the holes. Unfortunately the road surface is very bumpy so the descents could be fairly hairy....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thinking of going down to do a lap and suss out the bike course in the next few weeks. Is there a GPX of the route anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Thinking of going down to do a lap and suss out the bike course in the next few weeks. Is there a GPX of the route anywhere?

Would be very interested in your views if you do it

The cycle course is summed up quite easily.

- One steep but short hill at the beginning as you leave Youghal town (around 5km mark. This will prob get marketed as Heartbreak Hill and have a good atmosphere as people shout and cheer the athletes on to get up it. Cycle hard into it, get up off the saddle and push and you'll clear it in no time...

- the Next 50Km or so is pretty flat along the coast on country roads. One or two small pulls but nothing terrible. Should be able to hold a decent pace along this part.

- Once you pass through Midleton, around 55Km mark, the next 20-25 Km is the hardest part of the course. Again, nothing very steep but just a long gradual pull upwards. Will be tiring on the 2nd pass no doubt....

- Once you hit the top of the course, from around 75Km, there are some long sharp and steep descents back down into Youghal. This part will be quite technical. These are mostly narrow, country roads where speeds will be quite high. The current state of the roads is appalling and would be terrifying to race down in its current state. I don't think there is a hope in hell that the council will re-lay these roads as they are very much secondary roads. Filling the potholes wont be sufficient as the road is very bumpy as is...

- Once back into Youghal, basically start all over again.

Overall I think its a decent course with fast enough sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

I just drove the coast road today..I presume both sides of the road will be closed for traffic on all the route..if not ,it would be dangerous..

Current talk

Latest draft of Bike route.
    Key changes:
    - Windmill Hill removed from start of Lap 1 but now at end of lap 1 and 2 instead from Ashe Street meaning a sharper turn onto it and no run-in to the climb.
    - New leg added after Cloyne to make up for the loss of the hill on lap 1. This is a beautiful stretch on good rpoads and has some amazing scenic views of Cork Harbour
    - Aid/Feed stations going in at Garryvoe (22/112k), Midleton Distillery (50/140K) and Inch Soccer Club (~75/165K)

This has yet to be finally signed-off but for now it's a close as matters to the finished product.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28741578?privacy_code=hyE9GAZhUS2ym3kP&fbclid=IwAR1kkmbKbM1RSIoJ9FHvExHBuKPvP014ytEWQMBKZ47KH6CSI9qjcyKBSN0

Some minor changes to the run route expect as well

Having said that, you'll get plenty of warning as the different price categories sell out so you won't miss out all of a sudden.

Just checked in on this again and see that Tiers 1-3 are now sold out with only Tier 4 left. Heads up for anyone intent on taking part but haven't registered yet.

Just checked in on this again and see that Tiers 1-3 are now sold out with only Tier 4 left. Heads up for anyone intent on taking part but haven't registered yet.

Great to see that it's down to tier 4. The event will definitely sell out.

Looks like time to get off fence so. The start list shows ~1200 high does not include those who used the payment instalment option

Looks like time to get off fence so. The start list shows ~1200 high does not include those who used the payment instalment option

Is there a start list floating around already?

• Advertisement

Is there a start list floating around already?

Yup up on IM cork website under Athletes tab

Advertisement